Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/12/2006 6:03:30 PM EDT
I live in a shitty duplex . This place is a dump, rent is only $200 That's the good news. I'm in college and it works for me.

The bad news is we have rats/mice that run around at night, I want to kill the bastards.

Rat traps havn't worked yet, twice they've set it off but I havn't caught any.

Anyone have ideas?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:04:09 PM EDT
Tannerite?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:04:46 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:05:51 PM EDT
bait it with peanut butter keep traps aginst the wall
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:06:28 PM EDT
Traps with peanut butter work very good, but the best is...

set a trap with a piece of raw bacon and singe it with a match or lighter. Then wait for the snap of the neck breaking.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:06:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DeadSled:
bait it with peanut butter keep traps aginst the wall

NICE! yeah I was using shredded cheese, I think they just took it.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:07:15 PM EDT
Get a cat.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:07:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 6:08:24 PM EDT by Cahill]
I hate cats. Our neighbor has three, they havn't helped yet.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:08:20 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:08:47 PM EDT
Name the rat BenJr and make a movie out of it, make lots of money and move out.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:08:54 PM EDT
Change the batteries and / or turn it on?

Sorry. Surefire lights. surefire way,.......

Never mind........
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:09:08 PM EDT
Go out and buy a BB pistol...and pick them off one by one. I've done that several time, it's pretty fun
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:09:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/12/2006 6:10:06 PM EDT by ElCamino]
Get a cat.

ETA: Preferably with stripes, those ones tend to be the best killers. Battlecats.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:09:10 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:10:35 PM EDT
decon or a pussy
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:15:05 PM EDT
trap with peanut butter, tie a string to the trap and secure the other end.

You could also place the trap in a small paper bag. Makes for easy clean up.

Or if that fails, I have heard that one of these may work
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:20:56 PM EDT
Get a cat.

Next best thing, sometimes, is to find a cat owner and have him give you the USED kitty litter.

bring it home and put it somewhere. The odor of a cat in the house will ofter drive rodents out.

We had chipmunks in the attic until I put a box of the SECs litter in the attic.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:22:16 PM EDT
I rid my house of mice in a week and it cost me $0.

Mice like to go into the trash can, right? It's where the food is. I filled my can with six inches of water and waited a week. The mice jumped in looking for food and drowned. I got six. You can throw your garbage into an exterior can for a few days.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:22:50 PM EDT

Originally Posted By tommytrauma:
files.upl.silentwhisper.net/upload3/mouse40.jpg

I was a .45 fan until I saw this picture......Didn't even penetrate! Just knocked the mouse unconscious...
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:28:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

I was a .45 fan until I saw this picture......Didn't even penetrate! Just knocked the mouse unconscious...

On the other hand it knocked his vest clean off.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:31:05 PM EDT
We have a great little trap that works just great. Block of wood about 3 x 3 and maybe 9 inches long, with mouse sized hole drilled in the end. Spring with length of wire fed down through hole and set with tied string; peanut butter inside hole to attract them.The rat/ mouse gnaws the string, releasing the piano wre. Strangles the critters good.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:32:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Lockedon:

Rubber bullet- Over penetration could kill a cockroach
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:35:51 PM EDT

Crafty buggers. In my shitty college apartment, the best technique was to put snap traps againt the wall, and put a box or book or something next to it to create a little tunnel for the mouse to run into. You don't even need to bait the trap, they go in there by instinct.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:38:29 PM EDT
Some traps are better than others and I have some experience with that. Use the ones with the yellow flat plastic that the peanut butter goes into. Peanut butter usually does the job.

Otherwise a cat. Mine does the job. If a mouse gets in she lets us know right away and she will kill it first chance she gets.

D-Con will kill them but you never know where they will wind up. I wouldn't recommend.

In the spring, if you have a lot of tall grass, brush, etc around your place, get rid of it.

Look for holes. They can be very small but they will be there. You just have to look.
Mine come in climbing up the side of my fireplace chimney, get in thru the roof venting which is plastic (arrgghhh) and then come in thru the heatilator unit in my fireplace. If they start, there is usually more than one and I set raps by the heatilator vent or let my cat deal with them. She is a good cat. I never thought I would ever like a cat so much but she has been an awesome addition to the family.

Also keep you place clean. If you are feeding them they will keep coming.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:39:08 PM EDT
I had a bad mouse problem in the backyard last summer. They were eating all of the dogs food....and living somewhere in the backyard. The bad thing is that they were crapping all over my back deck. I ended up setting up several good ole' mouse traps. I caught 21 mice in 1 week. I had 4 or 5 traps....and I would would have to empy them out every day.

Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:41:33 PM EDT
The method I have used with incredible sucess is to tie a piece of cheese on to the trap. Use fishing line and just tie the cheese to the little food tab. Works like a charm...always wanted to try the peanut butter trick but have been worried about ants.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:44:34 PM EDT
We hd a mouse in our place a couple of years ago. I bought these little wooden-base old-fashioned-looking mousetraps that had these big plastic paddles that set them off. You just put them in tight areas against the wall. Along the side and back of the fridge, dressers, TV, places like that. The instructions said not to use any bait. The trap by the fridge got him in less than 24 hours. And with no bait, you can just set them and forget them for years if you want. Well, check them if you smell anything funky.

TheSneak's suggestion of making tunnels along the wall sounds like a winner.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:44:36 PM EDT
When I first read the title I read "whats a surefire way to catch/kill a moose?'

Did a major whiskey tango foxtrot.

Thanks for the laugh and oh yeah, I recommend Napalm...large amounts. Save the nukes for the moles in the front yard.
Matt
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:45:21 PM EDT
I've had the glue traps work, but the normal traps work much better.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:46:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cahill:
I live in a shitty duplex . This place is a dump, rent is only $200 That's the good news. I'm in college and it works for me.

The bad news is we have rats/mice that run around at night, I want to kill the bastards.

Rat traps havn't worked yet, twice they've set it off but I havn't caught any.

Anyone have ideas?

woa, just re-read it.

you have rats and mice?

rats are much bigger.

rat traps aren't the same as mouse traps.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:49:49 PM EDT

Originally Posted By david_g17:

...rat traps aren't the same as mouse traps.

To twap a wat you need a wat twap.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:56:23 PM EDT
1) catch the mice with your hands.

2) paint "DOG" on their sides.

3) call the police and report a domestic dispute at your address.

4) stand back and watch the action

5) patch holes in wall and floor.

simple.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:05:02 PM EDT
Belt fed

Go big or go home

Nuke it from orbit, the only way to be sure
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 7:09:00 PM EDT
www.ratmousezapper.com/

These are awesome, I have had one for a couple of years. I was a little skeptical at first, but it works 100%. On one occassion, I put the trap out and less than five minutes later heard the sizzle. Just make sure you use hi-cap alkaline batteries (Duracell M3's).
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 1:58:50 AM EDT
I have seen that the mice will jump into trash-cans too.

The way to catch them I saw (at an old job) was to get a trash can (usually a smaller desk-style wastebasket), place it near a wall that the mice are seen around, and drape a rag or an old towel over the edge, from the floor up over the edge and hanging into the trash can about eight inches from the bottom. Then you rub a bit of bait along the rag (fresh bread works fine, just dab it along the whole rag) and then drop the bait into the trash can and leave it all overnight. The mice will come along the wall, follow the scent and climb up the rag and drop down into the trash can to get the bait and not be able to get out. Then you can just dump them outside or whatever.

RATS are a whole 'nother situation. You first need to find where they're getting in, and block that off. Only then should you bother with using traps to get the ones stuck inside.
------
I am NOT a fan of typical lethal traps for mice and rats in living spaces, and the reason is the fleas.

Rats and mice have fleas, and if you kill the host in a snap-trap, as the body cools over an hour or so, ALL the fleas jump off and are now running loose where you don't want them. And the fleas can cause you more grief than the rats and mice themselves would. I prefer to capture them live however-it-takes and just dump them outside.
~
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 2:28:43 AM EDT

Originally Posted By California_Kid:

Originally Posted By david_g17:

...rat traps aren't the same as mouse traps.

To twap a wat you need a wat twap.

I had to read that 3 times. I thought you said 'to trap a twat'. I was about to tell you that to trap a twat you need diamonds.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:08:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Cahill:
I hate cats. Our neighbor has three, they havn't helped yet.

And you wonder why the mice are hanging out at your place...
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:17:27 AM EDT
I'll send you my cat for a month. She's always catching mice and birds 'n crap.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 3:18:16 AM EDT
5 gallon bucket fill with h20 5-6 inchs.

take some tie wire, plastic soda bottle, peanut butter and a 1x2 or piece of wood.
take the wire, bottle and suspend the bottle inthe center of the bucket. make it so the bottle spins.
now smear peanut butter onthe bottle. put the piece of wood you had and lean it on teh side of the bucket and just close enuff that they have to lean or jump onto the bottle, whne they do the bottle spins and SPLASH in they go, youll hear them swimmin aroundfer abit,,but come AM,, just pick them out and toss em. the size of the bucket means you canlet it sit for days( iwouldnt suggest it tho) and it will continue to catch them!
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:21:56 AM EDT
I've always had the best luck baiting traps with melted milk chocolate. Once the chocolate hardens the meeces have to chew at the bait to get it off. Works every time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:32:05 AM EDT
BIG -1 on Decon! Once they die, they go somewhere inside a wall or drop ceiling, inside a duct, etc. and stink like hell and you have no idea where they are. Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:34:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Roadhawk:
Traps with peanut butter work very good, but the best is...

set a trap with a piece of raw bacon and singe it with a match or lighter. Then wait for the snap of the neck breaking.

That's what I did years ago when we were living in Navy quarters in San Diego. The meeses can't leave the bacon alone. Works every time.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:39:41 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:46:27 AM EDT
Come on, the sticky traps work the best. A little bait in the middle and your done..
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:53:42 AM EDT

Now that's funny stuff.

Must've been a glaser.

Either that or sombody racked a 12 Gauge nearby.
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:55:51 AM EDT
+1 million on peanut butter. Mice only eat cheese in cartoons. Peanut butter is the mouse equivalent of crack cocaine.

Personally, I like the plastic but otherwise traditional spring-loaded rat trap.

In my old house we got a few up in the attic. I went up with 3 rat-traps baited with peanut butter, put them along likely mouse super-highways (along the edges of the walls) and proceeded to leave. I didn't even make it halfway down the stairs and whack, pause, whack! 2 of 'em in 30 seconds. Peanut butter rules.

aa
Link Posted: 2/13/2006 6:56:05 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lambchops:
The method I have used with incredible sucess is to tie a piece of cheese on to the trap. Use fishing line and just tie the cheese to the little food tab. Works like a charm...always wanted to try the peanut butter trick but have been worried about ants.

So ants don't like cheese?

Top Top