Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2008 8:33:05 PM EDT
I have had raccoon problems for some time now, and the fucker just attacked my dog, so I'm going to camp out this weekend and try to get it. This raccoon is fucking HUGE, I wish I could blast it with a .22lr, but due to my housing situation, that is not an option, but I have a really powerful air rifle that I am pretty sure would kill it. What is a common household material that would be a good substitute for a raccoon skull? If I find that the rifle is not suitable for shattering it's skull, I'll just go for a heart/lung shot. But I really want to get this thing in the head, 'Cuz now it's personal
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:35:17 PM EDT
[#1]
possum skull.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:35:18 PM EDT
[#2]
Momma used to use a broom to run the raccoons off the back porch
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:36:46 PM EDT
[#3]
Well. Do you have a golf club or a baseball bat? If so, go to town on it. Or live trap then drown it. Or light it on fire in the live trap. Thats sorta original.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:36:50 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
possum skull.

Twas what I was thinking
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:43:17 PM EDT
[#5]
The neighbor's cat.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:43:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Ah, yes, simulated 'coon skull. Take a tennis ball, some Q-tips, one of those Dr. Scholl's Gel insoles, a small balloon, and a can of peas, a razor, and some Popsicle sticks, and then....go get your pellet gun and shoot the raccoon. Either it kills it or it doesn't. If it doesn't, shoot it again. Repeat until the 'coon is dead or doesn't return.

Another option might be those little Colibri .22 rounds.

Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:44:17 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Well. Do you have a golf club or a baseball bat? If so, go to town on it. Or live trap then drown it. Or light it on fire in the live trap. Thats sorta original.

Just throw the trap in the pond.

Well, I guess if you had a pond you wouldn't be worried about shooting a .22.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:46:20 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
The neighbor's cat.

+1
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 8:59:24 PM EDT
[#9]
Jack Russell terrier .......
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:00:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a raccoon skull that I found and bleached, don't think it would stand up to shipping though.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:07:17 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Ah, yes, simulated 'coon skull. Take a tennis ball, some Q-tips, one of those Dr. Scholl's Gel insoles, a small balloon, and a can of peas, a razor, and some Popsicle sticks, and then....go get your pellet gun and shoot the raccoon. Either it kills it or it doesn't. If it doesn't, shoot it again. Repeat until the 'coon is dead or doesn't return.

I bought a few boxes of those last week and shot ten of them through my MkII 22/45 at the local range. They were definitely loud enough to alert neighbors, but relative to a full power .22lr they are very quiet. The box literature warns you NOT to use them in a rifle because they might run out of steam before they exit the barrel.

Now more than ever, I want to go ahead and do the paperwork and get a suppressor.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#12]
Hard boiled egg would work for shooting practice.
Those skulls are not thick or tough.

If you want more explosive targets use a raw egg,
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:26:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Just shoot the fucker anywhere. Head is tiny, go for the chest first and second, but any shot will run they fucker off.

Seriously, why the science for a coon? Just shoot the fucker.

I don't like being this way, but you should have shot the coon before asking this. The question should have been " I shot a coon in the head/chest/ass with my air-rifle. Did I hurt/kill/or just maim him?"

Others of course, will have varying mileage.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:31:49 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I bought a few boxes of those last week and shot ten of them through my MkII 22/45 at the local range. They were definitely loud enough to alert neighbors, but relative to a full power .22lr they are very quiet. The box literature warns you NOT to use them in a rifle because they might run out of steam before they exit the barrel.

Now more than ever, I want to go ahead and do the paperwork and get a suppressor.

Despite the warnings, I've shot them out of several rifles. Just don't use a super-long barreled target rifle. Out of an 18-22" rifle, they make NO noise. Just the "click" of the FP hitting the primer, maybe a soft "ziiing" as the 20gr bullet cuts the air.

Just pay attention so that if you get a squib you don't stack up a bunch more 20gr leads behind it in the bore. I don't think they'll KB your gun... considering there's NO gunpowder in them.

However, they aren't as powerful as a 1000fps airgun. Then again, a 1000fps airgun ain't "quiet" either.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 9:59:07 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would use those, but the only .22lr I have is a 28"BBL match rifle, and I really would prefer to not get a round stuck in the barrel of a $1300 precision rifle. I would have just shot it then, but it was already climbing the fence by the time I got outside to see what the Hell was going on. But this thing is huge, when I first saw it a few months ago I thought it was a fucking dog until I saw it's tail.

ETA: Suppressors are illegal to use in WA, however they are legal to own, and make a great paper weight
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:01:03 PM EDT
[#16]
2 aluminum cans, full of water.  If it penetrates 2 and stops in the 3rd, you have enough with a hard-nosed pellet.

Don't have a hard nosed pellet?  Have an electronics soldering iron?  12-25 Watts and electronics solder.

Just put a bead of solder on the nose, filling a hollowpoint pellet or making a flat into a domed.

They are a bit heavier but will not deform.  At 1000 FPS, should go though 3 cans, stopping in the 4th.  That is enough for a raccoon up close.
Link Posted: 6/4/2008 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#17]
bone
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top