Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 9/3/2007 4:16:04 AM EDT
I have tried out a friend's rifle (a .22), but that's about it.  I don't know anyone else who has a rifle (I know, it must be hard to believe that, but it's true - my friends are just not into rifles.)

I have experience with handguns but not with rifles... the .22 feels like I am plinking targets at an arcade.  I'm not looking for a rifle for home protection nor for hunting, but just something to take to the range and have some fun with.  

I was doing some research online and have been looking at the Remington Model 700 SPS 308.  Would this be too much for a person who has never shot one before?  Unfortunately, unlike guns, I cannot find a range that rents rifles out...

Any suggestions/recommendations?  
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 4:23:05 AM EDT
[#1]
Get a Savage Model 10 in .308. I have both the Remington and Savage and prefer the Savage.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 6:46:46 AM EDT
[#2]
The Ruger mini14 semi-auto fits the bill quite well for defense and fun time at the range. It's also legal in CA I believe.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 6:58:30 AM EDT
[#3]
M1 Garand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 7:15:35 AM EDT
[#4]
About the best thing to buy for you would be a bus ticket to a new state.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 7:59:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Springfield Scout Squad, or SOCOM 16
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:23:29 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
My suggestion is you drop the attitude that men should grovel and hand you money just for standing there.

Unless you are stripper.

Wrong thread?

Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:30:50 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Unfortunately, unlike guns, I cannot find a range that rents rifles out...

I'm married, but that was still confusing me.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:32:40 AM EDT
[#8]
OST This will go south fast.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:35:23 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
My suggestion is you drop the attitude that men should grovel and hand you money just for standing there.

Unless you are stripper.

Wrong thread?

Thank you
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:37:59 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
About the best thing to buy for you would be a bus ticket to a new state.

+1 Took me a while but I left San Diego Ca. and never looked back.

ETA: To be constructive, I have a Mini-30 that I bought there, same as the mini 14, you can find Wolf bbrand ammo chaep for range time but it seems to jam in my rifle.

If I had it to do over again I'd buy a .223 (mini-14)

You can assecorize it to  make it tacticool ie.... different stocks, bipods, muzzle brakes etc...
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:42:20 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Unless you are stripper.

Yep. That and the forum title force me to withhold a useful answer. I know it's probably in jest, but it's a sore subject with me. I have good friends married to mothers and masters, not wives. It grates on me after a while. My wife hates that attitude as well, and it's a frequent complaint she has about women.

Sorry ma'am, it's just a peeve of mine. Carry on.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:47:47 AM EDT
[#12]
a .308 is sufficient for taking down probably 90% of the critters in this state, both four-legged as well as two-legged.

Here's the trade-off:

Ammo cost associated with a .223 is much less than that of a .308 (duh)

However, a .223 semi-auto will burn through a heck of a lot more ammo than a bolt-action .308.

It takes me an hour to go through 20 rounds of .308 in my Remington 700P. It takes a minute to go through that many rounds in a semi-auto.

For someone who's not shot a lot of rifle before, you should consider starting out on benchrest. Take an old backpack and stuff it full of old towels, then rest the rifle on the pack on the benches. Shoot from a seated position, or prone it out on the deck. This takes having to support the weight of the rifle out of the equation, until you're used to the recoil.

The only "problem" with getting a bolt-action .308 is that you'll want a scope to go with it, which often doubles the cost of the whole package...
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:01:33 AM EDT
[#13]
First rifle should be a good .22lr.  Develop good shooting habits, plus ammo is cheap.  While you're developing your skills, learn what you can about other calibers and choices in long arms.  Don't be in a hurry.

Check out the CZs, they're great rifles.  I have a 452 Lux, she's a beauty and shoots like a laser.  A CZ in a bigger caliber is the 550 American in 6.5x55.  Recoil is mild and it's a great cartridge.

CZ USA
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:02:27 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Lever action .22 LR

Easy to shoot, lots of fun
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:16:52 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hm, you should come hang out at the CA home town forum.  Where in CA are you?  Most of us have enough toys, you never have to rent any from the range.

ETA On second thought, I agree it's distasteful to imply men have to be on their knees giving you money, and that's the way it should be.  If your attitude is that we're here to give you stuff and somehow you're entitled to it, I'm withdrawing my offer for help.

I saw a printed message taped to a woman's monitor once that said "we're all princesses and we're to be treated as such"  Even if her last name was Windsor I'd not treat her as a princess.

The avatar is about as funny as if one of us guys using an avatar that implies all women are good for is cooking and making babies.

WOW!!! I have NEVER seen Duffy retract an offer to help... Heck I dont think he is even capable of raising his voice.

He is one of the most even, mild mannered people I know.

for him to retract such an offer is unheard of. Doesnt look like you are winning over too many friends with that avatar.

Ah shucks, we wuv you DrFrige!

I'm all for helping a fellow shooter at my cost, as are almost all of us, we heartily offer our toys and ammo to newbies to shoot, it's as much a joy to them as it is to us, that's the kind of people we are, freely give and freely receive.  I saw you offer your ammo and firearms to others to shoot too, we all do the same.  In view that ammo prices are getting more expensive by the week, it does cost us to do this.

I dunno if the avatar is a joke, it just conjures up images and concept I don't agree with, this gold digger, opportunist, women who manipulate men for money, all the reasons I'm staying single
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Just be thankful you have such a nice and thoughtful husband/boyfriend.  I mean, he was kind enough to put a computer in the kitchen for you.

Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:16:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Swiss K-31

The cadillac of surplus rifles
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:18:16 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:29:44 AM EDT
[#20]
.308 is a great round. In a 7.5+ lb rifle they are an easy round by way of kick, even more so if its an AR type 308. The buffer spring tames it, but I guess that's out of the question for you. The heavier the rifle, the less kick but at some point you may need or want to lug it around and a 10+lb rifle is a PIA. The big draw back latley has been the rising cost of rounds for it. You can go another route and buy similar rifles in varing calibers smaller pistol calibers for most of the time plinking and practice then switch out to the bigger ones for whatever reason you want to put here.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:31:54 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:37:10 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:38:20 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
The Ruger mini14 semi-auto fits the bill quite well for defense and fun time at the range. It's also legal in CA I believe.

That, or a Ca-legal AR.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 11:46:06 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
Get a Savage Model 10 in .308. I have both the Remington and Savage and prefer the Savage.

I would second that unless you can find and old remington 760 in .270win. and do a tiny bit of work on it (remove the bridge between the action tube cap and bbl. and lap the bore. get a leupold one piece scope mount for about 20 dollars on sale and all the scope you can afford witha  magnification level starting at 2.5x to max maybe 10x.

the rifle will be quick handling accurate and very cheap, besides being a pump action based on the remington 870.

pump action might be very good for your uses.

If you get a savage get one chambered in .260rem in case you ever get the chance to hunt at longer ranges.

30-06 is a good enough cartridge, but it is too long to be able to maintain a stock weld while cycling the bolt.(no follow up shot)

.308win is one of my favorites, but I will admit the .260rem is better all around.

Lower recoil, flatter trajectory, longer range, more accurate, it has it all.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 12:01:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 12:50:05 PM EDT
[#26]
If you are looking for a first rifle to shoot and want a .22, try a Ruger 10/22.  They are nice to shoor and ammo doesn't cost a whole bunch of money.  If you are in California you might look at Calguns for more local help.  
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 1:27:03 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
www.historical-firearms.co.uk/acatalog/DX1201.jpg

Duh those are banned in Cali You can blow up a bus full of gay illegals with that.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:23:11 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
a .308 is sufficient for taking down probably 90% of the critters in this state, both four-legged as well as two-legged.

I'm curious as to what critters in Ca. are too big and tough for a .308

Ever seen the state flag?

These guys are still found in the countryside.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:32:41 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.parks.ca.gov/pages/22491/images/california_state_flag.jpg

The California grizzly bear (Ursus californicus) disappeared from the state of California in 1922 when the last one was shot in Tulare County, but it is still on the state flag of California.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:35:04 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
M1 Garand.

+1

It's the best rifle you can get in CA.

+100
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 9:56:09 PM EDT
[#31]
ow lay of the avatar guys,  Untill theres evidence n the form of a post to confern that an attitude is waranted. Id cut the gal some slack.

to the question @ hand posted by the op?

i think id recomend a  ruger mini 14, mini 30, keltec su-16 or the good ole m1 garand.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:10:15 PM EDT
[#32]
Ruger mini 14/30.
Lever gun in 30/30 and .22
12 guage shotgun.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:13:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Best, or affordable to shoot? There is a difference. I think it is funny as the "best" suggestions are from folks who apparently have no idea about legal Kalifornia rifles.

AR-15 variants, not outlawed by name. Edited to clarify.

AK-47

M1A

These are all legal, but not necesarily the best for anyone as their only rifle. Buy one you can afford to shoot that still has knockdown power.

Rob
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:17:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:

Quoted:
www.historical-firearms.co.uk/acatalog/DX1201.jpg

Duh those are banned in Cali You can blow up a bus full of gay illegals with that.

shhhh dont say it too loud, the last guy who sold the gayseeking minie ball got busted by the california DOJ
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:19:15 PM EDT
[#35]
Only in California would they allow women to use computers.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:24:46 PM EDT
[#36]
Lots of good choices.

What's your budget? Cost of ammo should play a big part in your decision. If you've never fired a .308 bolt gun you might wanna' try it first, especially if you're small/light. It's not bad, nothing to be scared of, but the first time is way different than a .22.

eta Just looked the Remington 700 SPS up. At 7.25 lbs, recoil shouldn't be too bad. The 700 has been around for a very long time. Good stuff.

I also hear good things about the Savage rifles, and they are cheaper.
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:31:52 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Only in California would they allow women to use computers.

www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=1&f=71
Link Posted: 9/3/2007 10:36:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

www.parks.ca.gov/pages/22491/images/california_state_flag.jpg

I'm no expert but I have been told my .308 will take any big game animal in North America.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:38:02 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Hm, you should come hang out at the CA home town forum.  Where in CA are you?  Most of us have enough toys, you never have to rent any from the range.

ETA On second thought, I agree it's distasteful to imply men have to be on their knees giving you money, and that's the way it should be.  If your attitude is that we're here to give you stuff and somehow you're entitled to it, I'm withdrawing my offer for help.

I saw a printed message taped to a woman's monitor once that said "we're all princesses and we're to be treated as such"  Even if her last name was Windsor I'd not treat her as a princess.

The avatar is about as funny as if one of us guys using an avatar that implies all women are good for is cooking and making babies.

geez, I posted this last night and only got one response.  Tonight I open up this thread and see it has brought up some controversy regarding my avatar?    That avatar is supposed to be funny, just like alot of the avatars you see on this forum.  I actually first saw that avatar used by a guy on a car forum.  I thought you all had a sense of humor, but I guess some guys have issues.  To clarify, no, I am not of the opinion that men need to give me stuff.  I just thought it was a hilarious avatar and thought others would think it was funny as well.  In fact, I just sent out a huge care package to one of the soldiers in the sand in the pinned thread at the top of the general discussion forum (have you taken the time/effort to do so as well?).  For you to assume, because of my avatar, that I am seeking things from men is just, frankly, ridiculous.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:39:29 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Unless you are stripper.

Why do you assume I have that attitude?  Just because you have a ninja avatar, does that mean you are an assassin?  
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:42:04 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you are stripper.

Why do you assume I have that attitude?  Just because you have a ninja avatar, does that mean you are an assassin?  

Actually the whole point of avatars and forum titles is to express how you see yourself and want others to perceive you.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:44:46 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
I cannot find a range that rents rifles out...

I know of two in southern California.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:46:22 AM EDT
[#43]
To the others who have responded with help to my original posting, I sincerely thank you for your suggestions.  You have given me lots of options and I need to do a ton of research, to figure out what would be the best choice for me, and for my... chosen state.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:47:37 AM EDT
[#44]
Get a

M1A
M1A Scout
Mini-14
Mini-30
M1 Garand
M1 Carbine
SKS
Ruger 44mag carbine
Ruger PC9
Ruger PC40
Marlin Camp 9
Marlin Camp 45
Benelli M1 Super 90
Browning BAR

When you get bored with those move to another state.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:48:21 AM EDT
[#45]
calguns.net is a better place to ask..
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:49:05 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I cannot find a range that rents rifles out...

I know of two in southern California.

I'm in northern CA
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 1:55:05 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you are stripper.

Actually the whole point of avatars and forum titles is to express how you see yourself and want others to perceive you.

Really?  I don't get the impression that your avatar/forum title express how you see yourself.  Maybe some people may feel that way but others would like to have some fun with it.  Are you seriously going to hold my avatar against anything that I post???

Link Posted: 9/4/2007 2:05:11 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:
ow lay of the avatar guys,  Untill theres evidence n the form of a post to confern that an attitude is waranted. Id cut the gal some slack.

to the question @ hand posted by the op?

i think id recomend a  ruger mini 14, mini 30, keltec su-16 or the good ole m1 garand.

Thanks for the support on the avatar; it was in jest ... but since it is causing some guys here to have a coronary, I will consider changing it.  Funny how I have posted many times with this avatar and nobody has said anything negative until now.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 2:12:09 AM EDT
[#49]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you are stripper.

Really?  I don't get the impression that your avatar/forum title express how you see yourself.  Maybe some people may feel that way but others would like to have some fun with it.  Are you seriously going to hold my avatar against anything that I post???

Maybe it is a little bit abstract for you... "Ninja of Love" and a picture of a ninja - tough on the outside but soft and caring for the right people. Get it now?

Another example: SteyrAUG. "Zen Dealer" and Ron Livingston playing Peter Gibbons in Office Space. Steyr sells guns so " Zen Dealer" is literal in that he is a gun dealer, and his studies of the Eastern martial artshave given him an appreciation for the philosophies that have come from there. So it could mean that he is a dealer who has acheived a Zen state, or that he could sell you some Zen. It works both ways. Very clever, right? If you have seen Office Space, you will know that Peter Gibbons is a modern Buddah of sorts who acheives enlightenment after realizing how futile the office enviroment is. It all fits together to give a bit of insight into Steyr's personality. Make sense?

Now yours: "how it should be" and a picture of a man on his knees giving a woman his money. What are we supposed to think?

So you had some "fun" with yours. It was a joke. Fine.

How many people were doubled over laughing?

How many people told you that they found it to reflect negatively on you?

Do with the information what you will.
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 2:38:48 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Unless you are stripper.

Maybe it is a little bit abstract for you... "Ninja of Love" and a picture of a ninja - tough on the outside but soft and caring for the right people. Get it now?

Another example: SteyrAUG. "Zen Dealer" and Ron Livingston playing Peter Gibbons in Office Space. Steyr sells guns so " Zen Dealer" is literal in that he is a gun dealer, and his studies of the Eastern martial artshave given him an appreciation for the philosophies that have come from there. So it could mean that he is a dealer who has acheived a Zen state, or that he could sell you some Zen. It works both ways. Very clever, right? If you have seen Office Space, you will know that Peter Gibbons is a modern Buddah of sorts who acheives enlightenment after realizing how futile the office enviroment is. It all fits together to give a bit of insight into Steyr's personality. Make sense?

Now yours: "how it should be" and a picture of a man on his knees giving a woman his money. What are we supposed to think?

So you had some "fun" with yours. It was a joke. Fine.

How many people were doubled over laughing?

How many people told you that they found it to reflect negatively on you?

Do with the information what you will.

I think you are taking this much more seriously than this needs to be, for one thing.  Secondly, an avatar is not that big of a deal for me and I can change it without a second thought.  I think it is a small minority here that really think negatively about the avatar.  Like I said before, I saw a guy using it on another forum and he never got crap about it, so why would I think it was offensive if I used it?

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top