Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 11:51:45 AM EDT
Not a show car, just a daily driver. I've been partial to McGuiar's in the past but interested in some of the newer products like Ice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Tagged

I was gonna start the same topic, I've been using turtle wax on the tundra but after spilling my tub yesturday I'm looking at newer a little more premium products
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 11:59:27 AM EDT
[#2]
For show I use Zaino, for daily drivers I use Turtle Wax Ice.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:00:03 PM EDT
[#3]
I normally recommend Meguiar's NXT 2.0 as an all-purpose OTC for friends/co-workers that just want to pick up something at the store.

I recommend Zaino Bros All in One followed by Zaino Bros Z-2, mail order, but works EXCEPTIONALLY well, if you have time/dedication for getting that extra shine and protection.

Klasse All-in-One is also a good 1 step product, but it is mail order only like Zaino.

I wet a microfiber applicator to apply the product, then I use a dry microfiber towel to remove/buff the car surface.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:10:50 PM EDT
[#4]
For a daily driver, I generally use Meguiar's cleaner wax or Zymol. The latter is easier to apply (being a liquid), but doesn't seem to last as long.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:12:44 PM EDT
[#5]
I hear brake fluid with some eggs mixed in is a good low cost alternative.

I kid, I kid.

Turtle Wax is good to go for standard type stuff.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I detail cars and if you are wanting to get something over the counter.

Meguiar's NXT 2.0 is a good sealant that offers great protection, long life, and good water repelling.  

There are some big differences between carnauba and sealants though.

Carnuba will give you a deeper/wetter paint look but it will not last as long as a sealant.  The negative to sealants is they can sometimes make imperfections more apparent and it gives the car alot of shine/glare. Some people like that look, some don't.

If you want to go the carnauba route, this stuff is pretty cheap, but very strong.  I use it on boats as well.
Wax
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:51:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I've always focused on long lasting protection versus a short-term shine from carnauba. The carnauba in my experience lasts about 30-60 days tops, less with sun exposure and rain.

I've had Klasse AIO and Zaino last well over a year with my car sitting outside in Michigan. It gets exposed to sun, rain, snow, salt, hail, sleet, mud, bugs, bird droppings, etc...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:14:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Ice isn't a wax. I used it on my new Camaro, it dulled in about a week. I tried the Meguiars NXT this weekend, it looks good, but time will tell.. I think the best is still going to be 100% Carnauba.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:01:17 AM EDT
[#10]
NXT seems to last a good long time.  But it isn't as dark as I'd like.  

So what is the best Carnuba to use?  

Maybe I'll try to wax with carnuba one weekend, then put a coat of NXT over it the next week end.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
NXT seems to last a good long time.  But it isn't as dark as I'd like.  

So what is the best Carnuba to use?  

Maybe I'll try to wax with carnuba one weekend, then put a coat of NXT over it the next week end.

Usually, when customers want long protection with a deep/wet look.  The detailer will put on the sealant wax and then put 'nuba on top.

There is not going to much difference from one 'nuba wax to another. Where the difference is, is how much stronger and longer lasting it is.

I linked a good wax up higher that is relatively cheap with longer lasting results.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 10:33:59 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Ice isn't a wax. I used it on my new Camaro, it dulled in about a week. I tried the Meguiars NXT this weekend, it looks good, but time will tell.. I think the best is still going to be 100% Carnauba.

Carnauba lasts 30 days tops for me. It is a wax and will wear away more readily than a synthetic product. NXT 1.0 and 2.0 are very good OTC products. I normally "wax" my cars once a year, maybe twice a year.

Link Posted: 3/15/2011 11:34:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Also guys, the spray on wax as you dry stuff works pretty well.

Sometimes I will spray a small amount on each body panel before I dry it with a towel.  Just use a separate towel to dry your windows.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top