Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/28/2003 11:57:48 AM EDT
What's a "blog"? [>:/] I musta been taking a nap 'cause I missed when that word became ubiquitous. All of a sudden that word is everywhere and I don't know what it's supposed to mean. Kinda like when all the whiney sheeple all started using the term "neo-con" together in a sort of Borg-like simultaneous lockstep synchrony.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:58:53 AM EDT
Short for "Web Log" I think. Kinda like AR15.com! [:)]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:59:22 AM EDT
we[b]b log[/b] - basically just an online diary although they can be very informative (such as [url]www.instapundit.com[/url]) with a better quality of author.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:59:34 AM EDT
It's a web log. Kind of like an on-line diary.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:00:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Torf: Short for "Web Log" I think. Kinda like AR15.com! [:)]
View Quote
You mean it's just a discussion forum?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:02:22 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:05:14 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
Originally Posted By Torf: Short for "Web Log" I think. Kinda like AR15.com! [:)]
View Quote
View Quote
That's what I always thought, but I might be wrong about that. Bartholomew_Roberts and az_larry have it right I think.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:05:44 PM EDT
No, it's not a forum, it's this vain horseshit where people post their personal diary on the internet, as if anyone gives a shit. Mostly done by teenagers and people that never got over being teenagers.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:07:25 PM EDT
Originally Posted By The_Macallan:
View Quote
View Quote
No, it's not like ar15.com, it's not a message board. For one, on message boards, the latest entries are at the bottom or back of the message. Weblogs have the latest entry first, right up at the top. As new entries are made, older posts get pushed down. Also, Blogs are usually a one-man show, Though my favorite blog, National Review Online's "The Corner" has about 10 of their writers and editors posting on it. [url]http://www.nationalreview.com/thecorner/corner.asp[/url] About six of my friends have blogs where they just post what's on their minds, what they had for breakfast, their work, or the development of their newborn child. One of the best blogs I've seen is D.U.M.B., or Democratic Underground Monitoring Blog, where he posts the most idiotic or repellent things he finds there [url]http://dumonitor.blogspot.com/[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:08:15 PM EDT
exactly what Norman said. it's a web-based tool designed to make losers feel important.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:10:06 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bartholomew_Roberts: we[b]b log[/b] - basically just an online diary although they can be very informative (such as [url]www.instapundit.com[/url]) with a better quality of author.
View Quote
I see. Thanks. The link you gave doesn't work. You say some are really good and informative. I'd be curious to see a few. But I can easily see how just posting a person's scattered, narcissistic ramblings can be pretty boring like [b]norman74[/b] says.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:10:19 PM EDT
What the hell is wrong with people now days?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:12:33 PM EDT
A blog is where some neoyuppie posts his personal thoughts on a page with a crappy background, and links to "cool stuff", so other neoyuppie's can view them.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 12:31:50 PM EDT
you are all wrong. it stands for [b]BL[/b]aze [b]O[/b]f [b]G[/b]lory -Nuke
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:12:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 1:13:27 PM EDT by Bartholomew_Roberts]
The [url]www.instapundit.com[/url] link is down right now... problems with the server I guess but the link is good. I'd agree that the vast majority of blogs (much like other media) aren't that great; but there are so many out there that even if only 0.01% are worth reading, you'd still have lots and lots to read. For example, Eugene Volokh of Second Amendment reasearch fame has a blog ([url]volokh.com[/url]). It is nice to be able to have a UCLA law professor on tap for his personal insight on legal issues in the news. There is also [url=slate.msn.com/id/2083565/]Kausfiles[/url] at Slate, which is a decent blog. Also check out Phil Carter ([url]http://philcarter.blogspot.com/[/url]), a former Army MP officer with 4th ID. He usually has some interesting insights into the war.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 1:19:48 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 3:09:16 PM EDT
Instapundit (Glenn Reynolds) and Volokh (Eugene Volokh) are both pro-gun law professors, very educated folk whose blogs make for interesting daily reading. They don't just blog about their own stuff - they post links to interesting news and analyses. I enjoy reading both of them. They are libertarian-oriented (small l), so you are duly warned. Instapundit is down at this very moment due to some technical problems but should be back up soon. Our very own KBaker has a blog: [url]smallestminority.blogspot.com[/url]
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 4:55:13 PM EDT
[url]www.asu.edu/~rwultsch[/url] This is my blog, There are many like it, But this one is mine.
Top Top