Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:09 AM EDT
You know when you get pulled over and the COP starts his routine. Questions like:

1. "Do you know how fast you were going?"
2. "Where are you headed?"
3. "Where do you work?"
4. "Do you have any guns or drugs in the car?"
5. "Why do you think you need to carry a gun (CHL)?"
....etc

I have an attorney friend and we were discussing this the other day. He says the COPs have no legal right to ask you any of these questions on a routine traffic stop and you do not have to answer them. His recommendation is you give the COP your CHL (if applicable), Driver's license, registration and proof of insurance, and if the COP asks you anything else, you simply respond: "I am not required by law to answer these questions. Am I free to go?" My lawyer friend says if the COP detains or arrests you for not answering those questions, you'll have a really good lawsuit against the police dept and also the COP personally.

Not sure if it's really worth it to be a dick with the COP, but it's nice to know what your rights are. I may try this next time I get pulled over just to see what happens.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:04:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't answer.

None of those questions are relevent if you are pulled over for a traffic violation.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:04:21 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

You've got the radar gun, you tell me!
Your wife's house
3. "Where do you work?"
Your wife's house
Why? What do you need?
Suckaz be gunnin' fo me!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:02 AM EDT
[#3]
I soooooooooooooooo need to be able to tag threads.

This is gonna be a good one.

Sheep
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:05:39 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your wife's house
3. "Where do you work?"
Your wife's house
Why? What do you need?
Suckaz be gunnin' fo me!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:06:48 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I soooooooooooooooo need to be able to tag threads.

when I get pulled over I jump out and yell "I'VE GOT A GUN!"  That way they know I am a CHL holder...
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:06:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:08:23 AM EDT
[#7]

I've only been pulled over twice in the U.S. since I moved her in 1990, but I've not been asked questions like where I was going, where I work, whether I've got guns or drugs in the car.  

As an aside - check out the ACLU webpage - they've got a little card that is very useful in explaining what your rights and obligations are when pulled over.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:10:04 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You know when you get pulled over and the COP starts his routine. Questions like:

1. "Do you know how fast you were going?"  "Uh....yes I do.  I was going 8080....er what?  There's 2 dashboards, wtf?  You pulled me over, you should know!"
2. "Where are you headed?"  "The direction I'm going.  If I wasnt, why would I be headed here."
3. "Where do you work?"  "My place of employment."
4. "Do you have any guns or drugs in the car?"  "Dont like your Glock model Kaboom?"
5. "Why do you think you need to carry a gun (CHL)?" "Mofo's be all up trippin in here and sheet."
....etc

I have an attorney friend and we were discussing this the other day. He says the COPs have no legal right to ask you any of these questions on a routine traffic stop and you do not have to answer them. His recommendation is you give the COP your CHL (if applicable), Driver's license, registration and proof of insurance, and if the COP asks you anything else, you simply respond: "I am not required by law to answer these questions. Am I free to go?" My lawyer friend says if the COP detains or arrests you for not answering those questions, you'll have a really good lawsuit against the police dept and also the COP personally.

Not sure if it's really worth it to be a dick with the COP, but it's nice to know what your rights are. I may try this next time I get pulled over just to see what happens.  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:10:30 AM EDT
[#9]
I got pulled over for a traffic violation, December last year...

"Do you know why I pulled you over?"
"So you could wish me a Merry Christmas?"
"Ahhh...No."

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:10:35 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
snip

he might "find" something and/or detain you longer than had you just answered the questions...

I answer them...I've got nothing to hide and am doing nothing illegal until I get home
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:14:51 AM EDT
[#11]
No, you don't have to answer any questions that might incriminate you. But giving a cop the silent treatment is a surefire way to ensure that he will crawl up in your colon and make camp.

1. Be honest. If you don't know, say so. If you do, say so. Odds are that he has already decided to give you a ticket but if you aren't excessive in your speed and if you are respectful enough in your dealings with the officer, he might just decide to warn you and let you go.

2. Typical question that is asked. Often such questions are repeated and mixed up to see if you will change your story. People who can't keep facts straight are lying and are pretty easy to trip up with questions like this. Again, tell him the truth. (Unless you ARE heading out to get hookers and blow, in which case you should just not say anything...)

3. Another routine question often used on routes to known bad places. If you are heading to the crack neighborhood, this is one of the ways he finds that out.

4. Standard question. A CCW holder should never have to answer said question because they should have already given their permit to the officer with their driver's license and told the officer whether or not they are armed and where the weapon is. Telling the officer right off the bat is a good way to demonstrate that you mean the officer no harm and will demonstrate that you aren't hiding anything dangerous. It will put the officer at ease, which is a good thing.

5. Never had an officer ask that. But again, the response should be honest and respectful. "Well, sir, because you folks can't be everywhere at once, so I need to protect myself."

Yes, you can refuse to answer questions legally.

But by being honest with the officer and being respectful, you can often avoid a ticket. Your behavior toward the officer can change his mind about the actions he was going to take.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:14:54 AM EDT
[#12]
A: "I was traveling at a safe and reasonable speed, sir."
A: Be honest, but omit exact destination if not Politically Correct (i.e. the range)
3. "Where do you work?"
A: "I work for UCLA, sir."
A: "No, sir." [nevermind the fact that I've just come home from the range and have an armory in the car, all unloaded per CA regs]
A: "The same reason you carry a gun."
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:16:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Questions? Huh?

So you mean my method of dealing with the police when I get pulled over is not the preferred method?

(I just stick my head out the window, yell "CATCH ME IF YOU CAN, SMOKEY!" and drive through a cornfield...for some reason they never do catch up..)

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:16:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I love these threads.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:17:31 AM EDT
[#15]
There is a difference in questions and interrogation.

I either do know or I don't know.  I have always been honest about this when pulled over.  "Wasn't paying attention" or "I guess you got me, fair and square"

"Home"   "Work"   "To a meeting of drug dealers and terrorists and gun smugglers.  We are starting a Union."   WTF?  I guess I fail to see where this is that aggregious.  Cops are human beings.  Just talk to them, put them at ease.  Get a warning.  Shit on them and lawyer up, get harrasement back.

3. "Where do you work?"
"I work for XYZ Company.  I see you work for the XYZ Police Department.  What's that like?"

Never been asked.  Never been a dick to a cop either.  

"I have a license."  
Never been asked that, either.  If the cop is still asking questions by this point, I would ask if there is anything wrong.  Are you looking for someone that is similar to my description?  Is there something going on that I should be aware of?

Most people talk themselves  into  a ticket.  I have never had a speeding ticket, knock on wood.  I have had other moving violations.  If they are going to write you a ticket, just let them do it, and move on.  Argueing won't help that one bit.  If you want to lawyer up in front of a judge and argue an $80 speeding ticket, go ahead.  The best strategy is to just be a decent person up front.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:21:57 AM EDT
[#16]
I was arrested back in July and fully used my rights in relation to answering questions and such.  The cops got super pissed and threatened me with "resisting arrest" and "impeding an investigation".  There were tons of witnesses (including a former cop/son of current chief) that were laughing at the cops because of their poor use of the law.  I stood there in complete silence while they played bad cop/bad cop.  Neither of them work for the PD today...

ETA:  Former pothead = spelling errors.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:16 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

But by being honest with the officer and being respectful, you can often avoid a ticket. Your behavior toward the officer can change his mind about the actions he was going to take.

DING! DING! DING! DING!

SBG
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:24:38 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

4. Standard question. A CCW holder should never have to answer said question because they should have already given their permit to the officer with their driver's license and told the officer whether or not they are armed and where the weapon is. Telling the officer right off the bat is a good way to demonstrate that you mean the officer no harm and will demonstrate that you aren't hiding anything dangerous. It will put the officer at ease, which is a good thing.

don't know if i agree with this. many of us live in "non-disclosure" states. unless you are pulled from the vehicle and frisked, or if they specifically ask if you have a gun, then there is no reason he or she will know you have a gun period.

i've been pulled over three times since i've had my CCW. twice i presented my permit with my DL, and both occasions i was given the, "...put your hands on the wheel, don't move, tell me where the firearm is but don't gesture towards it..." BS. the third time, nobody was the wiser, and the stop went about as smooth as can be had.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I smile, act innocent and pray that he thinks I am too cute to give a ticket to.

Seriously, I have always found the best way to be in these situations is courteous and respectful. YMMV
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:28:44 AM EDT
[#20]
I haven't been pulled over in years.

That said, at the point, I think it would foolish to volunteer any info. The best policy is never, ever answer any question for any reason.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:30:17 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
don't know if i agree with this. many of us live in "non-disclosure" states. unless you are pulled from the vehicle and frisked, or if they specifically ask if you have a gun, then there is no reason he or she will know you have a gun period.

In most states your drivers license is flagged with the note that you have a CCW permit.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:12 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

3. "Where do you work?"
....etc

Your attorney friend best stick to Real estate law. As long as it doesn't fall under Title 18, USC, Section 242 that cop can ask you damn near anything he wants. Ignorantly telling an officer what rights you think you have won't make things easier for you at all. That doesn't mean spilling your guts either. Here's the deal. If you are stopped that officer will be able to articulate, nearly 100%(ideally 100%) of the time,  in a court of law his legally justifiable reason for stopping you from going about your activity. You are now in an area where he is an expert from training, education, and experience.He has had hundreds if not thousands of hours of training and probably hundreds if not thousands or tens of thousands of simliar experiences ie. vehicle stops along with hundreds or thousands of court appearances to draw from. This is not the time to either spill your guts or play Mr. Robot I know my rights. In all cases I would suggest just being polite and very unspecific in your answers. Basically like a politician. If you are guilty of a crime you are going to go to jail no matter what you do. If you are a dick then you get arrested and the arresting officer takes you to jail and tells the jail deputies upon your arrival "This guy was an ass and he did A,B, C and D."Then you are truly screwed. If you are only guilty of a vehicle code violation and you act the way you would like people to act towards you when you are at your place of work you are much more likeley to end up in that wonderful gray area recognized by the U.S, Supreme Court called "Officer discretion" and end up with a warning along with the following "Sir in the future please pay attention to blank blank blank,  your saftey is important to us here in the state of blank  

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:32:57 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

3. "Where do you work?"
....etc

Your attorney friend is wrong in one aspect, the police do have the right to ask you questions. You however have the right to refuse to answer them.

Obviously you can't be arrested or detained simply because you refuse to answer a question since that is not a violation of the law. Since you live in Texas, you might be aware that you can go to jail for most traffic violations. While an officer can't arrest you for not answering a question, he can arrest you and impound your vehicle because you forgot to use your turn signal.

I think some of the time, when an officer asks you what you did, he thinks he saw something but was not sure and he wanted you to confirm his suspicion.  If I am not sure what I saw, I either don't make the stop or find another lawful reason. Also when I stop someone, as soon as I make contact I tell them why they were stopped and we go from there.

Some of the officers that like to issue citations and often end up in traffic court, might want you to admit on tape that you did commit the offense. If you show up later in court and deny the charges, he might pull out the in-car video/audio and have a tape of you on the side of the road admitting the charge.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:33:03 AM EDT
[#24]
When you are stopped, by all means, be an uncooperative prick. Excellent legal advice.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#25]
Considering that I am friends with most of my local LEOs, why would I be a dick to my friends?

Heck, one of them has pulled me over before just to shoot the BS.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:34:18 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

2700 mph... No, wait, that's the tachometer!
To hell if I don't change my ways.
3. "Where do you work?"
At one of the local food joints. Where do you eat?
Both! What do I win? (keep a bottle of asprin in the glove box for honesty)
Just incase I need to wash my car!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:34:43 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd like a 50:50 please?
Can i ask the audience?
3. "Where do you work?"
Can I phone a friend?
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Weaver

j/k
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:36:55 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:38:16 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In most states your drivers license is flagged with the note that you have a CCW permit.

that's nice.

is that something that gets added into your info later that can be read on the strip? in the last two states i've lived in i had my DL before my CCW. if it's a little logo they put on the front or something i wouldn't have had it...

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:38:55 AM EDT
[#31]
I am so sorry officer but I am in a hurry to get to the hospital to deliver a baby.

Hey didnt I deliver your kid last year?

Bob, how are ya,  how is the wife doing?  I am so glad the operation went so well.

Sorry officer I was thinking about the complication we had at the hospital and I had my head up my ass.

ETA, forgot one.  I am so sorry officer but I am really tired and need to get home to go to sleep.  I was operating on a State Trooper who got shot last night and we were trying to save his life. That one worked like a charm.  It was on the news so he knew it was true. Guess who got a handshake and a get out jail free card?

I have  used everyone of those lines and everytime the LEO has let me go.   I am respectful, keep my hands where I he can see them and I have all my paperwork ready with my CCW card.  I havent had any problems.

I have had LEOs block the road for me to pull out and get back on the road and even escorts to the hospital.  I have about 20 LEO cards in my truck.  At least 2-4 LEOs in the surrounding cities and towns.  

One did write me ticket but he said, he was sorry for giving me a ticket.  But he told me he was going on vacation at a certain time and to make a court date for that week.   He didnt show the ticket got tossed.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:39:04 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

87!

Interstate 87!

3. "Where do you work?"

on 87th Street

yep, gots 87 guns

....etc

87 bad guys are after me!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:40:20 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
that's nice.

is that something that gets added into your info later that can be read on the strip? in the last two states i've lived in i had my DL before my CCW. if it's a little logo they put on the front or something i wouldn't have had it...

No.

The license itself is no different than anyone else's DL. When an officer checks your records for wants or warrants, however, he will get a report back saying that you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in X state.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:40:33 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I'd like a 50:50 please?
Can i ask the audience?
3. "Where do you work?"
Can I phone a friend?

HA HA! that's funny...

"Do you know how fast you were going?"

"...hmmmm, i'm goin to use my lifeline!"

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:40:36 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
If somebody clams up and ACTS AS IF they have something to hide.  I'm going to look.  

Plus any discretion on my part will be to write any and all citations.

If on the other hand you are a normal and polite person, I will almost always give a warning unless it is a really bad offense.

I have a lot of things to hide but that does not mean it is illegal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:23 AM EDT
[#36]
I was pulled over by a state trooper about a 18 months ago. I had my window rolled down, radio off, and hands on the wheel. He never asked me how fast I was going, he just came up to my window and stated he clocked me at 66 in a 55. Asked for my papers, which were sitting under my glock in the glove box. I told him about the glock before reaching. He watched as I retrieved the papers. Did not ask for my permit, to see the gun, nothing.

Went back to his car. Ran my info and came back with a warning ticket.

Basically the only question he asked me was for my papers.

In my LEO expierence. I would say 95% of whether you got a ticket or not was attitude. Now if I clocked you 30 over the limit. You can smile all you want and you're still getting a ticket.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:42:57 AM EDT
[#37]
First off, in my sate, you *must* inform the cop of your CCW status, and wether or not you have a weapon. I keep my hands in plain view and turn on the cab light, if it is dark out.

Attitude is everything. If the cop is cool, calm, relaxed and professional he'll get "yes sir" and "no sir" answers. I wont let them fish for a reason to detain me, but I will answer reasonable questions.

Bad attitude, assumption that I have criminal intent, and a holier-than-thou demenor... all bets are off. I had an officer that insisted I answer him as to why I carried a gun. If my memory serves, his badge read: "Billy Badass". I told him, "I always do" three times before he gave up on his fishing expedition.

They can fish all they want, as I will give them no PC to search my person or vehicle. IRRC they can detain you for 20 minutes, but after that they have to arrest you or let you go.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:43:54 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's nice.

No.

The license itself is no different than anyone else's DL. When an officer checks your records for wants or warrants, however, he will get a report back saying that you have a permit to carry a concealed weapon in X state.

hmm. learn something new every day.

you said "...in X state." do non-res permits for other states also show up? i have my home state permit and 3 non-res permits. that report could be pretty funny.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:03 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
In my LEO expierence. I would say 95% of whether you got a ticket or not was attitude. Now if I clocked you 30 over the limit. You can smile all you want and you're still getting a ticket.

Exactly.

If you are doing 90 in a school zone, bend over cause you are getting spanked.

But if you are driving at a SANE speed in a REASONABLE manner, odds are the ticket/no ticket equation depends a great deal on your behavior.

Also, if the officer's performance review is coming up soon and he needs to "prove" he is enforcing the law, you are probably going to get a ticket.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
They can fish all they want, as I will give them no PC to search my person or vehicle. IRRC they can detain you for 20 minutes, but after that they have to arrest you or let you go.

Unless they find further reasonable suspicion to detain you longer.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:44 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'm glad FL doesn't do that.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:45:54 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
hmm. learn something new every day.

you said "...in X state." do non-res permits for other states also show up? i have my home state permit and 3 non-res permits. that report could be pretty funny.

I believe that it only happens in the state where you have your DL issued.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:46:20 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Your wife's house
3. "Where do you work?"
Your wife's house
Why? What do you need?
Suckaz be gunnin' fo me!

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:48:08 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:
that's nice.

No.

Varies by state.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:48:46 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Varies by state.

True. Not all states do that.

Many do.

Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:52:08 AM EDT
[#46]
Respect and honest.  But only about the reason I was pulled over.  I was rear ended and when the cop showed up I gave him my DL.  I wasn't packing, so didn't say anything not related to the accident.  The other driver, I, the cop, and the accident investigator, were standing on the curb when the cop's radio comes on saying LeonardC has a CHL and they all looked at me.  I just told them I wasn't packing, end of story.

If I was packing, I would tell the officer.  I would NEVER agree to a search of my car or truck.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:56:49 AM EDT
[#47]
I never get pulled over!!

No.

It doesn't matter.

3. "Where do you work?"
It doesn't matter.

There are no illegal guns or drugs in my car.

I never said anything about carrying a gun. I said there are no illegal guns or drugs in my car.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:57:42 AM EDT
[#48]
I have just always answered truthfully. I have been pulled over for going 80 in a 40, 140 in a 75, 120 in a 65, and have been warned on all three. I know for sure if I had any attitude at all, I would have been spending the night in jail. I don't act all suprised and pissy when I get caught doing things I know are illegal.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:58:15 AM EDT
[#49]
I've only been pulled over twice, in 05, for speeding. Both times in my parents car in NJ. No tickets. I was 22 when I got pulled over. First time I was going 45 or so in a 35 in town and just got a verbal warning. Second time I was doing 50 in a 40 over High Point, NJ, and he gave me a written warning.

Both times I was polite and respectful, don't know if it changed anything. I thought I was screwed!

My parents don't know about the first one, though mom found the written warning from the second

They are boggled as to why I didn't get a ticket
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:58:33 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
1. "Do you know how fast you were going?" Pretty fast huh! Oughta see what she can do when I let her loose, ya wanna race?  

2. "Where are you headed?" Gotta drop something off, next county over.

3. "Where do you work?" Me? Oh... I'm an independent contractor... in the uh...  sanitation business, yeah.

4. "Do you have any guns or drugs in the car?" Well, I ran outta drugs about 15mins ago so, nope, none left, sorry, but you could call me later I'm sposed to hook up...  and for guns...  I've got my Glock Fo-Tay.

5. "Why do you think you need to carry a gun (CHL)?"  Well, I needed it for the job, you see? Like I said, I gotta dump this body off next county over, and the LAST time I tried to put a bastard down I used a baseball bat and the sumbitch splattered all over my new shirt... pissed me right off. So anyways... this time I used the gun.

I advise you to answer the ossifers questions honestly, directly, and politely.
Elsewise, you probly gonna get fucked.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top