Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/8/2006 5:24:12 PM EDT
When did it start meaning 'not cool'?  Yes, I googled it, but my google-fu must be weak tonight.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:30:20 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:30:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I suspect about the same time as the Stonewall Riots.

I seem to recall that "gay" comes from Gay Street in The Village (NYC).  Calling someone "gay" was code for a homosexual since so many lived on Gay Street.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:34:35 PM EDT
[#3]
From listening to students at my school I have come to the same conclusion that GAY now means uncool, or stupid.  "Dude dont act all gay(stupid)"
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:37:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Ask TheRedGoat.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:44:43 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

PV74 is correct...not 72, but 87. And, I think you mean "ghey", not "gay" which means happy.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:46:25 PM EDT
[#7]

Probably around the same time it was "redefined" right out of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:55:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
From listening to students at my school I have come to the same conclusion that GAY now means uncool, or stupid.  "Dude dont act all gay(stupid)"

It has been used to make fun of someone/something since I was in school at least.

i.e. That honda with the giant wing is gay.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:59:39 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

PV74 is correct...not 72, but 87. And, I think you mean "ghey", not "gay" which means happy.

I just said 72 becasue it seemed like a date when gay weould really mean gay like today.
But WildBoar is right gay now days means retarted or stupid, just more of a faggy stupid. I know because i use it soemtimes.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:03:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Well I recall people (kids) using gay to mean uncool/ stupid around my freshman year of highschool, so 6-7 years ago. I think you're showing you're age if you've just discovered this as I don't hear many people use gay to mean uncool, now it just means homosexual.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:03:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Well, it was certainly after the Flintstones aired.  Their theme song ended in "A dabba-doo time, you'll have a gay old time."

Ah yes, a time before "they" hijacked our language.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:17:21 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Well I recall people (kids) using gay to mean uncool/ stupid around my freshman year of highschool, so 6-7 years ago. I think you're showing you're age if you've just discovered this as I don't hear many people use gay to mean uncool, now it just means homosexual.

Most people on this board use 'gay' or 'ghey' to mean uncool.  That's why I was asking mainly.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:21:49 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Well, it was certainly after the Flintstones aired.  Their theme song ended in "A dabba-doo time, you'll have a gay old time."

Ah yes, a time before "they" hijacked our language.

Good or bad, the word 'gay' has been hijacked a second time to mean 'uncool'.  I had forgotten about that part in the Flintstones' theme song.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:34:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Hell, I remember when the word "Gay" meant happy or joyous
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:14:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Remember when "making love" meant kissing?  Me neither, but I've heard that term in a few of the old radio shows I listen to.  George Burns for one.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:20:23 PM EDT
[#16]
My take:
First it went from happy to being hi-jacked by pole smokers.  When the butt pirates took "gay", everyone just let them have the word.  It wasn't until everyone realized how gay being gay was, then they just used the term "gay" to describe anything lame, un-cool, stupid, awful, or just all-around gay.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:26:41 PM EDT
[#17]
My first year of Scout camp.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:27:40 PM EDT
[#18]
in the 90s in highschool we used it like that (as well as for things that were homosexual)
I try not to use gay for anything other than homosexual now, because many of the things I in the past would have called gay are even "gayer" than things homosexuals would willingly associate with
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:35:26 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 7:51:06 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Probably around the same time it was "redefined" right out of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders.

Hey, the APA can makeup whatever fucking definition that want.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:02:27 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Per the offical manual......GAY as meant homosexual since about 1922 [in NYC anyway] in refence to the common word "fairy".
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 8:05:52 PM EDT
[#22]
It doesn't bother me, the word "gay" is gay, and therfore we should not use gay to describe happy, because happy or ecstatic are far superior.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:07:02 PM EDT
[#23]
I've never met a faggot (ghey) that was happy.
They are always pissed off about something.

Gay means happy and carefree.

When was the last time you met a queer that could be defined as such?
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:08:20 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
It doesn't bother me, the word "gay" is gay, and therfore we should not use gay to describe happy, because happy or ecstatic are far superior.

You are part of the problem.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:10:10 PM EDT
[#25]
The year of the cock.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:22:38 PM EDT
[#26]
What I see odd about it is that a lot of gays and others get all offended when you call something gay (as in uncool/lame).  But um, they kinda butchered the name first.  Seems like pretty fair game to me.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:27:38 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I've never met a faggot (ghey) that was happy.
They are always pissed off about something.

Gay means happy and carefree.

When was the last time you met a queer that could be defined as such?

.....as long as I have ammo I'm gay like a motherf##ker.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top