Warning

 

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 9/16/2004 7:31:51 AM EST
I'm currently a manager for a USA startup that is owned by a UK company. Many parts of my job are done only by me, and the main office doesn't want given to other people. I decided in June that I needed to move from MA due to the cost of housing (plus liberal BS) and I was just bored with my job.

Since they couldn't just plug another person into my job, my boss asked me to stay until they hired a replacement and I had trained them. I gave Sept. 1 as my last day. Well, they were lax in advertising the job, doing interviews, etc. They kept asking if I could stay another week, then another, and so on. They just hired my replacement today. Since he has to give two weeks notice, I have now been asked to work until Oct. 15. ( I like this company, and I may end up working for it again, that's why I've tried to work with them).

So, I'll now have an apartment in NC that I won't be living in for a while, or I'll have to wait until Nov. 1 to move. I told my boss the company can either pay for my apartment for Oct., so I can move down right away, or they will have to pay my months salary for Oct. even if I work only two weeks. I have yet to receive an answer.

So how would you handle the situation??????
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:34:45 AM EST
Leave the bridges unburned. Grin and bear it...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:36:56 AM EST
Your offer to them seems pretty reasonable to me.
They should come up with something anyway.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:37:03 AM EST
Tell them they screwed you and that you're leaving immediately.

You did more than any reasonable person would have. That they dropped the ball in getting you a replacement isn't your problem.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:38:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By cgj:
Your offer to them seems pretty reasonable to me.
They should come up with something anyway.




+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:39:06 AM EST
Do you have another job waiting for you?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:40:01 AM EST

Originally Posted By DriftPunch:
Leave the bridges unburned. Grin and bear it...



+1
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:45:01 AM EST
Yeah, I'm doing my best to leave the bridges unburned. I don't have a job down in Charlotte yet, many of the responses that I received said they were only looking at local candidates. At my current company we don't even look at anyone out of state.

I have enough on hand that I can go with a paycheck for a time. I just decided this is not the place for me......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 7:57:50 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 7:58:10 AM EST by CamperDad]
Your offer seems reasonable to me. My recommendation is pick according to your values.

Assuming they DON'T agree to pay for your extra expenses:

a) If not burning the bridges is more important than the cash you lose then stay.

b) Otherwise leave. Try to leave NICE so as to minimize the damage but leave BECAUSE it's in your best interests.


- CD
Top Top