Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/24/2005 8:19:23 PM EDT
The reason I am asking is .One time I went to my bank to make a deposit and when I got home that night I was watching the local news and they reported the bank I was at that day was held up at gun point That day at  1:00pm I was there at  10:00 am  . Made me wonder how I would have reacted If I had been there.  I know many of you carry concealed that post on this board.  If you found yourself  in that situation where your at your bank and saw a  man open the door with a mask and a gun walk through the door would you just follow his directions or do you think you would instinctively draw your weapon as soon as he walked in?  I my self really don't know how I would react.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:20:40 PM EDT
[#1]
It all depends.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:21:34 PM EDT
[#2]
The first thing I would do is not go to banks at night with a large sum of money.

Sgat1r5
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:22:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to need more information before I answer that question.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:23:03 PM EDT
[#4]
Most bank jobs aren't even known to the other people there.  They give a note or talk low so only the teller know.  It's not like Hollywood in 99% of the cases.

Unless I was concerned about my safety or shooting had started, I'm minding my own business.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:23:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I am pretty sure I would disable the robber by gunfire.  I have never had an American in my gunsights, but a crook is not an American in my eyes.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:24:02 PM EDT
[#6]
Try not to get that dye packet in the bag.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:24:41 PM EDT
[#7]
we need a poll
1 Eat Him
2 Draw Down
3 shoot his dog
Im sure there are more I have forgotten
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:27:12 PM EDT
[#8]
... drive the getaway car
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:28:23 PM EDT
[#9]
Freak out.
Scream like a little girl.
Fall down into the fetal position.
Wet myself.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:32:14 PM EDT
[#10]
The report said no one was hurt .he just demanded the money at the tellers windows  and then  got into a waiting  car and left. He did walk in with the handgun in his hand showing through the doors.
I just added the mask  in the first post he wasn't wearing one.But the gun was showing in his hand

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:34:52 PM EDT
[#11]
How many bank robbers?  Is one acting as a customer inside?  What's your level of training?  What's their level of training?  How are they armed?  How many people are in the cross fire?  Any armed security inside?  Hope you're not mistaken as another robber.  Are you with your wife and kids.  Do they know what to do if something like this happens?

Too many what ifs and variables to try and take him down inside where there are a lot of innocents around.  Robberies take place many times a day and are over in an instant. Stay alert and ready, thinking of what steps or actions you might need to take.  Be a good witness trying to remember what he looked like, height, how he was dressed, and try to see outside at what car he gets into.  If someone's life were to be put in danger, of course I would act.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:38:38 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
How many bank robbers?  Is one acting as a customer inside?  What's your level of training?  What's their level of training?  How are they armed?  How many people are in the cross fire?  Any armed security inside?  Hope you're not mistaken as another robber.  Are you with your wife and kids.  Do they know what to do if something like this happens?

Too many what ifs and variables to try and take him down inside where there are a lot of innocents around.  Robberies take place many times a day and are over in an instant. Stay alert and ready, thinking of what steps or actions you might need to take.  Be a good witness trying to remember what he looked like, height, how he was dressed, and try to see outside at what car he gets into.  If someone's life were to be put in danger, of course I would act.  

small town bank no security guards, Very small town I live in
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:39:26 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Freak out.
Wet myself.

Then when he gets close enough to tell you to shut up, draw down and make a good head shot!
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:44:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Unless my life was directly threatened, or I felt that shooting of innocent people was imminent and only seconds away, I would not do anything or intervene.  

It's not my money and it's only money.  Are you paid by the bank to defend it?  No.  If you exchange fire with the robber and you miss and hit a bystander, you are now criminally responsible for that bystander.  That's manslaughter, and no, a "it was an accident" defense will not work.

You take your life and your liberty into jeopardy when you use your weapon to defend a person or a group of people you don't know.  
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Unless my life was directly threatened, or I felt that shooting of innocent people was imminent and only seconds away, I would not do anything or intervene.  

It's not my money and it's only money.  Are you paid by the bank to defend it?  No.  If you exchange fire with the robber and you miss and his a bystander, you are now criminally responsible for that bystander.  That's manslaughter, and no, a "it was an accident" defense will not work.

You take your life and your liberty into jeopardy when you use your weapon to defend a person or a group of people you don't know.  

+1
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 8:53:25 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

It's not my money and it's only money.  Are you paid by the bank to defend it?  No.  If you exchange fire with the robber and you miss and his a bystander, you are now criminally responsible for that bystander.  That's manslaughter, and no, a "it was an accident" defense will not work.

What he said.

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:03:34 PM EDT
[#17]
When I got robbed, I gave a guy my wallet.....put up no fight because it was clear in my situation there was no direct threat, but I did so ready to fight if I had no choice. This was before CCW in Ohio, and I wasn't armed at all.

As it happened, he took off and no harm to anyone - least of all my wallet which was completely empty. Joke on you, robberman.

I did keep a cool head, which has always been reassuring that I know when things go whacky I'm not usually prone to fall to pieces.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:04:05 PM EDT
[#18]
I went to the bank a few months back around 11am and it was closed. Went back around 2pm and talked to the teller. They were robbed at 10am. Missed all the action by an hour. No weapon was displayed, just a note passed to the teller.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:19:44 PM EDT
[#19]
ONLY if sure that the shooting at innocents was going to begin would I even consider doing anything.  The bank is insured, the guy isn't going to get too much.  There is very minimal upside for jumping in and lots of potential downside.  Now a fast food place at closing is difference, especially if getting herded to the freezer, but banks,  nope.
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:24:37 PM EDT
[#20]
Be a good witness and only draw my weapon if threatened. That's what FDIC is for
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 9:28:36 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
ONLY if sure that the shooting at innocents was going to begin would I even consider doing anything.  The bank is insured, the guy isn't going to get too much.  There is very minimal upside for jumping in and lots of potential downside.  Now a fast food place at closing is difference, especially if getting herded to the freezer, but banks,  nope.

Every thing you say is correct . But I was asking if you saw a armed gunman walk  in the bank would you instinctively put your hand on your weapon .
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:06:05 AM EDT
[#22]
I'm not clearing leather until they've actually started killing people. Scumbag lawyers will argue that waving a gun around at people isn't really threatening my life....
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:24:31 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Freak out.
Wet myself.

Then when he gets close enough to tell you to shut up, draw down and make a good head shot!

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

Truely understanding the art of deception is second only to keeping that art a secret.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:40:24 AM EDT
[#24]
CHL is pretty casual in AK, but no bank carry. S'pose I'd let the BG take what he wants and let the dumbass walk.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 12:46:01 AM EDT
[#25]
1st we should never engage the perp,we must act like  good sheep and remove our wallet and jewlery lay them down infront of us as we move to the fetal position pleading for the mercy of the one in charge.2nd stay quiet there is nothing a robber want to hear from us especially crying,don't look at them either so 4hrs later when the police show up we can't give them a discription and the perp is long gone with all our hard earned treasures.it's not worth losing our lives over.thats what big brother expects of us and defience makes us look like we have rights which we clearly only have privileges that change at the hands of those who know whats best for us.. baa baa

...yeah right I cower to no man.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:10:06 AM EDT
[#26]
Lot of responsibility in that decision
all of a sudden instead of the robber making the life or death decision
you are now the one deciding if lethal force will be in the other customers immediate future\presence
A stray shot by you, the bad guy or another customer with a weapon could headshot\kill anyone

putting your hand on your weapon could very well start the shooting
(unless your weapon is in your pocket, maybe even then)

I would HATE to be the uniformed armed guard(bank ninja?)in a situation like that, heh
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:24:16 AM EDT
[#27]
If I saw someone heading into the place with a gun
I would move as far away from money as possible
and as close to cover as I could get .

If things started to go bad I would do whatever
was necessary or possible , but I'm sure as hell not  
going to start a gunfight over the banks money .

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:25:02 AM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
1st we should never engage the perp,we must act like  good sheep and remove our wallet and jewlery lay them down infront of us as we move to the fetal position pleading for the mercy of the one in charge.2nd stay quiet there is nothing a robber want to hear from us especially crying,don't look at them either so 4hrs later when the police show up we can't give them a discription and the perp is long gone with all our hard earned treasures.it's not worth losing our lives over.thats what big brother expects of us and defience makes us look like we have rights which we clearly only have privileges that change at the hands of those who know whats best for us.. baa baa

You'll cower when you are either arrested, or hit with a huge legal bill.

Even in a just shooting, expect to be sued and expect to spend huge amounts of money on legal fees, and that's assuming it is found to be a just shoot.

It's not a question of cowering, it's a question of it's not your money, it's insured, and it's not worth innocent people dying over it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 1:34:57 AM EDT
[#29]
Hey asshole, is that my briefcase?

Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:09:55 AM EDT
[#30]
It all depends on many factors.  Am I armed?  How big are the assailants?  How many?  Am I with small children?

Max
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:36:11 AM EDT
[#31]
too many "what ifs"

I don't do rhetorical questions
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:41:05 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Most bank jobs aren't even known to the other people there.  They give a note or talk low so only the teller know.  It's not like Hollywood in 99% of the cases.

Unless I was concerned about my safety or shooting had started, I'm minding my own business.

+1 gotta agree here.  I'm minding my own business til I feel very threatened.  If it seems all is going well and he's just gonna leave, I'd let it be.  Gat a good look and try to help an ID as best i could, I'll be the first to say I'm no hero.  
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 2:58:54 AM EDT
[#33]
I didn't read the entire thread. I'll just add that CCW in banks in illegal in NC so I would be unarmed.           [josey wales] I ain't armed [/josey wales]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:10:25 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
       [josey wales] I ain't armed [/josey wales]

that quote is from "Unforgiven" not "Josey Wales"
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:14:20 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

WTF ever dude.  Bank/Mall ninjas like you are the reason it so hard for normal gun owners to express their rights.  Why don't you go kick your self in the nuts.  No robber has ever been thwarted by an airsoft commando.
Douche.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:16:48 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Freak out.
Wet myself.

hahahahahahaha pussy!

oh yeah, +1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:23:33 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
Hey asshole, is that my briefcase?

HaHaHaHaHa, got it!

For me it would depend on the circumstances.. Obviously I'd prefer not to kill a man over a small bag of money that doen't belong to me, but who's to say that he doesn't shoot someone? Or kill the first cop on the scene? Or maybe he gets away and kills someone at the next robbery?

In My Mind, the only time you ever pull a gun out is when you are ready and prepared to use it. That means that a crook with a gun in the same room with me is a direct threat to my life and safety. If I have a clear shot he's getting two to the torso before he hits the floor.

Dave
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:46:26 AM EDT
[#38]
Unless the robber started shooting I wouldnt do a damn thing.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:50:47 AM EDT
[#39]
I'd tell him I'll wrestle him for it.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:50:59 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
The first thing I would do is not go to banks at night with a large sum of money.

Sgat1r5

yes, perhaps going at 1pm in the afternoon would be a safer alternative to late night dropoffs.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 3:57:40 AM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 5:15:31 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:44:45 PM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

Sgat1r5

Ummmm   10:am   and 1:pm   are not at night!!!!!!!!!!

SO!!!!!

Bob
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 7:56:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Challenge him to take a full power shot from me....

And then slash the roof of his jeep.
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:10:25 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd plug him in the parking lot, then take the money and run, lol. I would let him do what he came to do in the bank, hell my money is insured, not worth my life for the money. McM
Link Posted: 8/25/2005 8:49:01 PM EDT
[#46]
Protect the bank's money? No.
Protect my life? Yes.
Prtect an innocent's life? Probably.
So many possible situations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top