Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/10/2005 8:01:13 PM EDT
If your bank accidently deposited several million dollars into your account.  Would you take it and run?  Or call and give it back? A fellow member's story reminded me of a fellow doctor who had 2 million dollars added to her account.  It was an automated deposit so no tellers were involved.  The funny part is that she called the bank and they didnt remove the money for several days.  You would think they would get it immediately but it would show up on her balance inquiries for days.  She called everyday until they removed it.  

I think a lot people would have transfered the money took it out and lived on the beach in Mexico.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:03:21 PM EDT
Call them and get it fixed. Character is something to be savored.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:04:53 PM EDT
I take it and run.  It probably belonged to George Soros so I'd be doing all of you a favor.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:07:02 PM EDT
Sure would be tempting to a lot of people.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:07:37 PM EDT
Take it and run like hell.

If you ever find me I quess I must have blown it all on hookers and Coke.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:08:14 PM EDT
It would tempt me too, but I wouldn't do it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:09:17 PM EDT
I would never do it, for two reasons.

(1) obviously it is stealing, and no matter how tempting, is still wrong - and I'm not really that kind of person.  (at least not for just a couple of million )

(2) even if I were that kind of person, I think it would actually be very tricky to pull off.  It's not like you could go to the ATM and take out 2 million in cash.  The bank might not notice it SITTING in your account for a few days, but they sure as hell might notice a TRANSFER out of your account.   Even if you did manage to transfer it - where would you transfer it to?  How quickly can you figure out how to set up abank account in the Caymans or somewhere else?

Plus, EVEN if you managed to transfer it somewhere, it woudl be stealing, and the bank would call the feds on you in a heartbeat.  Do you know which countries have extradition treaties with the U.S.?  Not only would you have to be able to figure out how to set up ONE foreign account, but you'd probably need the expertise to set up mutliple accounts, and move the money, probably with multiple identities - and be able to get to where you are going without an investigator being able to track you down.

It all sounds VERY difficult and tricky to pull off with very little notice.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:10:12 PM EDT
10% finders fee
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:10:12 PM EDT
Even if it was in your bank account, it would still be stealing when they found out and I'm sure you'd be prosocuted.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:10:33 PM EDT

Originally Posted By DK-Prof:
I would never do it, for two reasons.

(1) obviously it is stealing, and no matter how tempting, is still wrong - and I'm not really that kind of person.  (at least not for just a couple of million )

(2) even if I were that kind of person, I think it would actually be very tricky to pull off.  It's not like you could go to the ATM and take out 2 million in cash.  The bank might not notice it SITTING in your account for a few days, but they sure as hell might notice a TRANSFER out of your account.   Even if you did manage to transfer it - where would you transfer it to?  How quickly can you figure out how to set up abank account in the Caymans or somewhere else?

Plus, EVEN if you managed to transfer it somewhere, it woudl be stealing, and the bank would call the feds on you in a heartbeat.  Do you know which countries have extradition treaties with the U.S.?  Not only would you have to be able to figure out how to set up ONE foreign account, but you'd probably need the expertise to set up mutliple accounts, and move the money, probably with multiple identities - and be able to get to where you are going without an investigator being able to track you down.

It all sounds VERY difficult and tricky to pull off with very little notice.

Very well articulated.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:11:37 PM EDT
Yes but I think there are several guys here that have the expertise and the ability to do just that.  I wouldnt do it either but its one of those life situation questions.
Top Top