Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/3/2015 3:58:42 AM EDT
Looking to get a new 556, possibly a KAC SR15 and a 762 AR (undecided) within the next month or two. But then I started thinking. With the prices of Larue OBRs and MWSs, I could just get a PVS 14 from TNVC.

What would you do?   556 and 762 rifle,........ or get a dedicated 556 and gear it out with NV and possibly a DBAL from TNVC?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:06:16 AM EDT
[#1]
5.56 rifle + NVGs.Gives you a greater capability than two rifles do.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:11:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Thats kind of what im thinking. It will be my first NV purchase so it seems a harder pill to swallow just looking at the pricing. The 556 will get shot a lot more than a 762, so I guess in the long run, the added capability of NV will outweigh another gun sitting in the safe.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:24:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You know the saying "if you can see it, you can hit it."
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:29:52 AM EDT
[#4]
AR10 + TS
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 4:44:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I was literally in your same exact position.  Already had a Leupy Mk8 and was about to embark on a 16" .308 build.

Sold off the Leupy and used the funds to get a TNVC PVS-14, a couple ATPIAL-C's, Ops Core Helmet and associated accessories to mount her up.

I definitely feel I made the right decision.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#6]
NVG's. Doesn't matter how fancy your rifles are if you can't see shit for 8+ hours a day.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:24:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

This.  I was literally in your same exact position.  Already had a Leupy Mk8 and was about to embark on a 16" .308 build.

Sold off the Leupy and used the funds to get a TNVC PVS-14, a couple ATPIAL-C's, Ops Core Helmet and associated accessories to mount her up.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly what I was looking at.  It would come out to around the same amount of money if I bought an OBR or MWS with optics, etc.

My only question is how much I will use the NV setup. They will be for personal use, not work use. I was busy last year, so didnt hunt at all. Hoping to make up for that this year. I live in an appt complex at the moment, and looking for a house next year so,  unless a SHTF situation happens anytime soon lol, they wont be getting as much use as say another rifle. I question its whether the "capability" is worth it, regardless of frequent/non-frequent use. First world problems i guess.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Well I doubt your going to shoot two rifles at once, so that. I always opted for rifle + rifle, now I wish I had NV and less rifles
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:40:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Exactly what I was looking at.  It would come out to around the same amount of money if I bought an OBR or MWS with optics, etc.

My only question is how much I will use the NV setup. They will be for personal use, not work use. I was busy last year, so didnt hunt at all. Hoping to make up for that this year. I live in an appt complex at the moment, and looking for a house next year so,  unless a SHTF situation happens anytime soon lol, they wont be getting as much use as say another rifle. I question its whether the "capability" is worth it, regardless of frequent/non-frequent use. First world problems i guess.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, it really is situational dependent.  I don't have a long enough range nearby to even get out to max 5.56 effective ranges, so after thinking about it, the .308 made less sense.

I don't have an enormous use for NV either, but believe me, after you get it you'll find uses.

-  Taking the dog on a walk at night (even better when a Sheriff's Deputy drives by giving you the look).
-  Scaring the GF/SO while she's sleeping.
-  Naughty stuff with the GF/SO while wearing said NV.
-  Random walks through the woods.
-  Clearing your house in the middle of the night for practice.

The list can go on and on.  The great thing with NV is it's not firearm specific.  I can use it without having to drive to the range.  A .308 AR?  Those are pretty one dimensional.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:50:01 AM EDT
[#10]
FPNI. Or build both out of parts and still have the scratch to buy pvs.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:56:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Rifle+NVG for certain.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 5:59:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Does anyone you know have NV? Might want to consider that. Think of all the things you'd want to do with your NV, then think if you want to do that alone every time. I ended up selling some stuff to afford a second set...
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:04:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Yeah, it really is situational dependent.  I don't have a long enough range nearby to even get out to max 5.56 effective ranges, so after thinking about it, the .308 made less sense.

I don't have an enormous use for NV either, but believe me, after you get it you'll find uses.

-  Taking the dog on a walk at night (even better when a Sheriff's Deputy drives by giving you the look).

The list can go on and on.  The great thing with NV is it's not firearm specific.  I can use it without having to drive to the range.  A .308 AR?  Those are pretty one dimensional.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I think you just convinced me.  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:37:24 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Does anyone you know have NV? Might want to consider that. Think of all the things you'd want to do with your NV, then think if you want to do that alone every time. I ended up selling some stuff to afford a second set...
View Quote

First and third world problem.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 6:45:53 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:05:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Night time is the right time.
View Quote

Well Ive been listening to RA in all my years of lurking. It hasnt failed me yet....  
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:28:50 AM EDT
[#17]
Currently  looking at TNVCs pvs14 gen 3.... the price isnt too bad for the full kit.

https://tnvc.com/shop/tnvpvs-14-l3-gen3-omni-viii/
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:39:14 AM EDT
[#18]

After RustedAces  thread a couple months ago about why don't you own NV. I broke down and ordered an TNVC/PVS14.

And a helmet and a mount.

I already own a few ARs and do a lot of coyote hunting so it only made sense.

My wallet hates you Rusted!!

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:42:24 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
After RustedAces  thread a couple months ago about why don't you own NV. I broke down and ordered an TNVC/PVS14.

View Quote

How are they holding up? Looking at the same system if I order from TNVC.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:50:22 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I have not received them yet.

Helmet and mount will be here Tuesday.

PVS14 has not shipped yet.

Link Posted: 5/3/2015 7:52:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Rifle and nods. I have not regretted buying a TNVC PVS14 once. It is one of the few superpowers you can buy. I was just out with a buddy on a nightvision-fueled walk through the woods last night. There's not much like it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:04:51 AM EDT
[#22]
Get the NV. You can't be a General in the militia without them.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:06:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

This....
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:50:13 AM EDT
[#24]
I would buy 2 rifles if you didn't have any others . But get NV before you buy a 3rd. Or buy a BCM and a AR10 and night vision. For the same price at the rifles you mentioned.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 8:59:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Currently  looking at TNVCs pvs14 gen 3.... the price isnt too bad for the full kit.

https://tnvc.com/wp-content/shopp_images/TNVPVS14_L3_10.jpg

View Quote

TNVC will take care of you!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:03:27 AM EDT
[#26]
It's dark out half the time.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:03:36 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is what I bought (not full kit, but the device & weapon mount).

Do it!

That is all.

ETA: Do you already have a helmet?
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:06:19 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I would buy 2 rifles if you didn't have any others . But get NV before you buy a 3rd. Or buy a BCM and a AR10 and night vision. For the same price at the rifles you mentioned.
View Quote

Already have an Built AR in 556, and an ak from a family member who passed. The ak I wont ever get rid of for sentimental reasons. Still have quite a few pistols though, and other gear. Just the number of rifles I've owned has taken a hit. I've sold off all my other rifles to pay tuition, etc before moving into my appts, and starting a new career. Now I'm in a financial position to finally stock back up.  I've really wanted a kac for a while, but also a dedicated shooter. I'd love an OBR but 762 is expensive and I will probably only hit long distance ranges a few times a year. Buying a dedicated 556 rifle and decking it out seems to be the best choice at this point, I really just wanted everyone's opinions on a NV being worth it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:11:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Already have an Built AR in 556, and an ak from a family member who passed. The ak I wont ever get rid of for sentimental reasons. Still have quite a few pistols though, and other gear. Just the number of rifles I've owned has taken a hit. I've sold off all my other rifles to pay tuition, etc before moving into my appts, and starting a new career. Now I'm in a financial position to finally stock back up.  I've really wanted a kac for a while, but also a dedicated shooter. I'd love an OBR but 762 is expensive and I will probably only hit long distance ranges a few times a year. Buying a dedicated 556 rifle and decking it out seems to be the best choice at this point, I really just wanted everyone's opinions on a NV being worth it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I owned night vision for a year or more until the company I worked for went under. I chose sell off most of my firearm collection along with the NV.
NV is awesome but to be honest I only ever used it in my back yard just to say I used it  if you are concerned about a SHTF scenerio then buy one but ask yourself when you would expect to actually use the thing.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:17:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Do it!

That is all.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it!

That is all.

Not one that will fit a mount. I'll probably add a ops helmet or team Wendy, along with a ATPIAL-C so I have more options on how to run the kit. If a make an order through TNVC it's gonna be big, haha!
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:26:41 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

I owned night vision for a year or more until the company I worked for went under. I chose sell off most of my firearm collection along with the NV.
NV is awesome but to be honest I only ever used it in my back yard just to say I used it  if you are concerned about a SHTF scenerio then buy one but ask yourself when you would expect to actually use the thing.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well the good thing about guns are they are good investments. I grew up in a family that all shot and collected military firearms. Dad was a huge 1903/garand/1911 guy. He's sold off quite a bit of his over the years for many reasons, but he always told me growing up that the good thing about a gun is that if something happens and you can't afford the luxury of shooting something, sell it if you have too.  You can always save up later if financially capable and buy another lol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:28:44 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Not one that will fit a mount. I'll probably add a ops helmet or team Wendy, along with a ATPIAL-C so I have more options on how to run the kit. If a make an order through TNVC it's gonna be big, haha!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Do it!

That is all.

That's what you'll end up doing anyway, so you might as well just hurt yourself once!

I bought the the Team Wendy LTP and love it. It fits and feels great.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 9:35:12 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Well the good thing about guns are they are good investments. I grew up in a family that all shot and collected military firearms. Dad was a huge 1903/garand/1911 guy. He's sold off quite a bit of his over the years for many reasons, but he always told me growing up that the good thing about a gun is that if something happens and you can't afford the luxury of shooting something, sell it if you have too.  You can always save up later if financially capable and buy another lol.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

He's right. I'm 50 and had  collected  a substantial amount of various firearms and luckily chose to sell them during panic times. It literally kept us afloat for over a year.. I still have shotguns, pistols and several ARs and bolt action 22lrs. But I doubt at this point in my life that I will ever build my collection back to where it was.
NV is cool but again you need to ask yourself how and when will you use it. My little brother has my NV setup it sets on his LaRue Preditobr he lives in the south and uses it often for hog hunting
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:03:43 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

He's right. I'm 50 and had  collected  a substantial amount of various firearms and luckily chose to sell them during panic times. It literally kept us afloat for over a year.. I still have shotguns, pistols and several ARs and bolt action 22lrs. But I doubt at this point in my life that I will ever build my collection back to where it was.
NV is cool but again you need to ask yourself how and when will you use it. My little brother has my NV setup it sets on his LaRue Preditobr he lives in the south and uses it often for hog hunting
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Eventually I'll get me a place with land,  and be able to due some more night time hunting.  Eventually take some night low  light courses as well.  And if I make the mistake of needing money and never use NV it looks like prices hold in the used NV market lol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:07:58 AM EDT
[#35]
You should have created a poll for this thread. That said, rifle and NV. You can always get another rifle later if you want.
Link Posted: 5/3/2015 10:18:07 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Eventually I'll get me a place with land,  and be able to due some more night time hunting.  Eventually take some night low  light courses as well.  And if I make the mistake of needing money and never use NV it looks like prices hold in the used NV market lol.
View Quote

It might sound funny but I was able to keep my house and savings by selling my collection.Have fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top