Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2009 1:37:00 PM EST
I just bought a house, built in 2000. Today I noticed that in the kitchen the linoleum flooring is starting to bubble up in a couple places. It's bubbling up in a straight line for about 3 feet in two different spots.

What would cause this? Any way to fix it without pulling up the flooring?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:37:48 PM EST
Originally Posted By AJTurner1234:
I just bought a house, built in 2000. Today I noticed that in the kitchen the linoleum flooring is starting to bubble up in a couple places. It's bubbling up in a straight line for about 3 feet in two different spots.

What would cause this? Any way to fix it without pulling up the flooring?

You're going to need to pull up the floor.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:37:59 PM EST
The glue that was holding it down finally let go. Pull it up and lay it again, that's about it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:38:13 PM EST
Can you post a pic?

My guess is bad glue or moisture in the floor, not necessarily in that order.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:06 PM EST
Originally Posted By Hard_Corps:
The glue that was holding it down finally let go. Pull it up and lay it again, that's about it.

Damn, I always thought there wee the spot where the zombies try to craw out of their graves.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:39:12 PM EST
GHOSTS
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:40:59 PM EST
hate to say it, but the floor has to come up and be redone.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:41:15 PM EST
Pods of killer scorpions that have recently come out of dormancy.

DIBS!! I called it! Dibs on your gunz!!!!!!

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:42:35 PM EST
The heartbreak of linoleum Psoraisis.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:47:10 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 1:47:37 PM EST by tactmaster]
Barbara Boxer's hell spawn eggs were laid under your floor and are beginning to hatch. Only one option, KILL IT WITH FIRE!!!

Either that or you have moisture under it
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:56:49 PM EST
Most likely the fact that the linoleum is 9 years old and the glue is giving up the stick. One thing to double check for it the routing of your hot water pipes. If you have a uninsulated hot water pipe right under the bad linoleum the heat might be making the glue come loose. The possibility of this is slim but it will only take you two minutes to check.

As far as fixing it without pulling it up, you could get your hands on a syringe and squirt some glue through the linoleum, then lay something heavy on it to hold it down till the glue cures. Its cheap and will get you by for a little while. Or put a rug over the spot.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:58:08 PM EST
I Work for a large concrete company as a sales rep and troubleshoot problems like this daily. Its going to be one of two things.

1. Moisture coming up through a crack (or cracks) in the slab

2. An admixture in the concrete, or curing product used in the finishing of the concrete that is incompatible with the adhesive your flooring contractor used to lay the flooring down.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:24:52 PM EST
If you just bought the house, the previous owners could have had it redone to sell.

Incorrect installation could be a possibility
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:25:24 PM EST
lava
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:27:32 PM EST
Are you near the Yellowstone supervolcano caldera?
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 2:30:03 PM EST

What would cause this? Ancient Indian burial ground. Spirits trying to get up. Any way to fix it without pulling up the flooring?Call an exorcist.

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:13:09 PM EST
How much should I expect it to cost if I need to have the floor redone?

The dishwasher wasnt winterized property and flooded the kitchen floor before i moved in... nothing too horrible or anything. Cabinets and drywall show no water damage.

Figure it's about 200-225 sqaure feet...at the most
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:26:06 PM EST
If its raising up in a straight line, the line is probably the seam between two sheets of subfloor if the linoleum is layed directly on the subfloor. If the linoleum is layed on cement board or some other type of board, then this board is loose and the seem betwen two sheets is where it is raising up.
I am a builder, and we built a house last year that did this. We subbed out the linoleum, and the sub layed Durock brand cement backer board. This board was stapled to the OSB subfloor. I commented when the guy was laying it that the staples did not appear to be holding, as the sheets moved when you walked on them. He said that this was how they did it, and it would be fine. Fast forward 3 months, and the homeowner is complaining about the same raised areas. The cement board was moving, and was the problem. The sub had to replace the linoleum at his cost. The original floor was glued all over. This time he used a linoleum where he could do a perimeter glue job, and so far, no complaints from homeowner.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:37:32 PM EST
air
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:55:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 6/17/2009 4:00:12 PM EST by GlutealCleft]
How much should I expect it to cost if I need to have the floor redone?

The dishwasher wasnt winterized property and flooded the kitchen floor before i moved in... nothing too horrible or anything. Cabinets and drywall show no water damage.

Figure it's about 200-225 sqaure feet...at the most

If you pay someone else to redo it, expect to bend over! But you can probably do it yourself. Take the money you would have paid someone for installation labor, and put it toward materials instead. Even with porcelain tiling, you could be in for under $3/square foot finished, especially if you watch for the right deal on the tile. I tiled my kitchen 5 years ago, and found a VERY good deal on some REALLY nice porcelain at $1.30/foot. Backerboard was another $0.60/foot. Mortar and grout came to something like $0.30/square foot. Throw in screws, sealer and caulk, and I think I was around $2.50-$2.75/square foot.

Right now, I'm about to tile my bathroom floor and walls (complete renovation, two-person Jacuzzi tub!). I got the tile for the walls (again, porcelain) on clearance for under $1/foot. It pays to watch the clearance aisles several times per week!
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:57:14 PM EST

Rent Tremors then watch the floor for movement
Top Top