Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:02 AM EDT
Before plastic became common, what were shotgun shells made out of?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Paper I think
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Paper
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 10:59:57 AM EDT
[#3]
brass and/or paper
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:00:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Kevlar
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:01:06 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
brass and/or paper

Winner!

Welcome back TRH.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:01:33 AM EDT
[#6]
As others above have stated, paper. I have several made of paper which I can post a .jpg of should you wish to view such.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:02:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Some were brass, most were paper. We've got some unfired brass AND paper shells for my great-grandfather's 9mm rimfire shotgun.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:03:06 AM EDT
[#8]
how does paper hold up?  i'd imagine plastic would be more weatherproof, but other than that, how much of an advantage is plastic?
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:04:18 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
how does paper hold up?  i'd imagine plastic would be more weatherproof, but other than that, how much of an advantage is plastic?

Paper shell would swell up in wet conditions, making loading and extraction very difficult. Plastic was a godsend, especially to waterfowlers.

ETA: If kept dry, paper shells hold up fine. I have fired some that were over 50 years old. Not too terribly long ago, lots of trap shooters shot and reloaded paper shells. My BIL still has some of his paper reloads.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:05:11 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quite an advantage-waxed paper swells in the chamber under high humidity, hence the use of brass shotgun shells by the military back in WWII.
Waxed paper works ok though. Some folks still reload Federal paper target hulls. I've seen data for them,but have never worked with them myself.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#11]
 I miss the edible "cracker" shells that were made of some wheat type product....after a good shoot you could fill the shot shells with Easy Cheese and pig out.   YUMMY!!!!  
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:08:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Lots of old movies and tv shows show the drawback in using paper hulls.
Watch an old a-team episode where they get a guy with a double barrel hidden in his fake leg. He falls in water and click.

The unforgiven when he is soaking wet and walks into the bar. The first one goes boom, the second click.

Mad Max, beyond thunder dome. He finds some shells, and crumbles quite a few before he finds good ones.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:08:42 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
brass and/or paper

+1. For 100 years, at least.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:12:35 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
 I miss the edible "cracker" shells that were made of some wheat type product....after a good shoot you could fill the shot shells with Easy Cheese and pig out.   YUMMY!!!!  

if not, that's a sure fire case for Pb poisioning
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:14:46 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant believe that they allowed you into ROTC
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:16:23 AM EDT
[#16]
Oh, my. Either you are very young or I am very old!

I can't be old!
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:19:29 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Oh, my. Either you are very young or I am very old!

I can't be old!

+1
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:31:50 AM EDT
[#18]
i still have about 2 boxes of brass shells for my 10 gauge. also got a box of papershells for the 16. im only 21 these are all shells my grandfather told me to go shoot.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:37:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I've shot paper shells and I'm only 35. (it was thick enough...I'd call it more like cardboard).
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:52:16 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Nope, the shell fired flechettes made from milk choclate flash frozen in liquid nitrogen
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:56:05 AM EDT
[#21]
I've got half a box of 12 gauge remington red wax paper shotshells kicking around here somewhere.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 11:59:50 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
i still have about 2 boxes of brass shells for my 10 gauge. also got a box of papershells for the 16. im only 21 these are all shells my grandfather told me to go shoot.

You might want to sell those at a gunshow. I never got into it, but some people get nostalgic and collect old ammo and ammo boxes.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 12:00:04 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I cant believe that they allowed you into ROTC

So glad to have you back TRH.

As others have said, paper hulls mostly.
I belive the military started using brass shells during WW1 due to the weather conditions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top