Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/16/2004 9:07:03 PM EDT
I was 13 or 14 and I was playing around with a Daisy powerline pneumatic pistol and I saw a big fly on a piece of wood about 15' away from me. I took a shot at it and took it ass off and the fly was still alive but it had no butt!
Only other time I was this lucky was a few years later I saw a morning dove in my backyard about 30 feet away from me. I was in my parents garage painting something and I saw some old bathroom tile on a shelf. I did my best impersonation of Dave Righetti of the New York Yankees picking off a base runner and threw the tile at the dove. I nailed it dead on. A puff of feathers and that sucker was nailed right in the head.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:08:22 PM EDT
[#1]
A friend through a bottle in the air out in front of me and I shot it with my AR15 using iron sights. Hey I'm sure there are more fanastic one of a kind shots out there that people have made, but I impressed myself!

And wtf were you doing throwing pieces of tile at a dove for? That's a little on the messed up side of things.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:10:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I was out in the woods shooting with some friends.  About 50-70 yards away we saw a new shadow appear by a rock..about 1/2" tall and 1" acroos.

I had my 22lr AR conversion rifle with irons.  So I stood up and aimed.  The "shadow" flipped over and died...it was a small salamander.

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:11:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
A friend through a bottle in the air out in front of me and I shot it with my AR15 using iron sights. Hey I'm sure there are more fanastic one of a kind shots out there that people have made, but I impressed myself!

When doing something like that, one must remember to not jump up and down and yell "Holy shit! Did you see that?" but to slowly saunter up and say "That one kinda suprised me." like you do that kind of stuff every day. [/Patrick F McManus]
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:12:39 PM EDT
[#5]

So I'm easing out of my driveway one Sunday evening about a month ago, when I look over in the far edge of the yard...............................................
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:12:44 PM EDT
[#6]
I shot a bat out of the air with a crossman pump BB gun. 1 in a millon shot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:12:46 PM EDT
[#7]
The last one
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:14:24 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

When doing something like that, one must remember to not jump up and down and yell "Holy shit! Did you see that?" but to slowly saunter up and say "That one kinda suprised me." like you do that kind of stuff every day. [/Patrick F McManus]

I didn't know there were other McManus fans on the board.....I feel like I'm in good company now.

<-----sometimes wishes he couldn't identify quite so well with some of McManus's stories...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:14:29 PM EDT
[#9]
I was shooting clays for the first time ever. It wasn't as hard as I thought it would be (with a shotgun). At the end of the session I said I wanted to try it with my Ruger GP-100. I yelled "Pull!", raised the revolver and fired a single-action shot that hit that damn clay and blew it apart. My eyes got BIG. My friend said, "I'll bet you can't do that again." He was right.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:15:58 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

And wtf were you doing throwing pieces of tile at a dove for? That's a little on the messed up side of things.

It was a first throw hit! I didn't even think I would come close. purely a freak thing. I kind of felt bad about it afterwards. I was in my tree hugging phase
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:16:15 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

So I'm easing out of my driveway one Sunday evening about a month ago, when I look over in the far edge of the yard...............................................

Sgatr15
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:16:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Was shooting one of my AR's from the bench (doing some 300 yd pop can plinking) and this little dinky lizzard stuck its head up over the edge of the bench in front of me.

Muzzle blast threw the little guy about 3 feet away.  I thought he was dead, but he got up and kinda staggered off after a couple minutes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:18:55 PM EDT
[#13]
350 yard no rest, standing, last chance before i have to do alot of tracking, on a cow elk in eagle's nest New Mexico
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:20:24 PM EDT
[#14]

300 yards from the bench with a 24 inch stainless barreled AR

the luckiest one was the double tap
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:25:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Last weekend I was out dove hunting.  We had 2 coming down, he shot the first one.  the second one few right over my head.  I didn't have time to bead up and so I took a stupid shot from the hip and nailed the shit out of that bird.  We both couldn't believe that I hit the bird like that.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:28:48 PM EDT
[#16]
I was hunting...didn't see a damn thing all day...there was this bird..."caw...caw...caw...caw...caw..."...would not STFU!!!  300yds away, Remington 700 30.06 ADL.  Took aim with a 4x scope...BOOM...bye bye bird!  It was amazing!  I got props from the entire group!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:42:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Boot Camp. Qualification day.
Had shot extensively before joining, did really well that week, PMIs / Coaches co-opted me to help with other recruits. Bets were being made (by the Coaches!) on who would be the Company High Shooter.
Solid performance on the 200m and 300m. I'm helping the guys on the other relays when I'm not firing.
We march back to 500m at High Port, again I help some folks.
My turn, into the Prone, one of the junior coaches comes and parks his ammo can right behind me.
Get the "Shooters...", I do it all right, squeeze off my shot, and my target just SITS there. Coach notices I haven't fired my second shot yet, clock's tickin', he kicks me boot and says - 'did you fire??'  "Sir, Yes Sir!" 'wrong target!' "No way, Sir". He starts yellin' at the center to pull down my target. Then asks me 'wtf'. I start checking everything and lo and behold - I had failed to properly set my rear site. Distracted by helping others. I laugh and cuss. Coach just cusses.
Target finally comes back up with a score in the 4 zone. Now I'm laughing even harder, because that's impossible.
he hollers 'gawdammit settle down Ray and SHOOT, you've only got 5mins left.
I'm still sputtering, breathing all fucked up, get a 3. Now he's REALLY cussing.
I take a DEEP breath, settle down, and bang out the next 8 as quick as I can / as fast as the recruits in teh butts can pull the carriage up and down. 8 straight bulleyes.

I came off the range with a 242, tied the Company High shooter. Little four-eyed freckle-faced nerd named Wetzal took it with 10x on that stage. Another clown got 2nd place with 9x. Then my 8x. Out of ~740 Marines.

Found out later on from the guys in the butts - they were doing what you are supposed to, wathcing the berm for the impact, didn't see any. When they were hollered at to pull the target, they scored a keyhole. Apparently my terribly-low first shot had struck the berm and RICOCHETED through the target. Probably should have been scored a miss. They were cussing me for having to bust their asses pulling the target towards the end.

how's that?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:45:16 PM EDT
[#18]
Mechanical thrower, clay, SS109, 16" Hbar.  Dust.  Luckiest shot ever.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:50:39 PM EDT
[#19]
I watched through a scope as the guy I was shooting with hit a soda can.It was with a 2" .22 and it was about 110yds away.It was an RG22.Yup he was aiming at it.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#20]
Luckiest shot I made was a few weeks ago, I was shooting doves with my RWS 48 pellet gun on my dad's dairy.  I see three birds sitting on one of the fences, all lined up in a neat row.  Put the crosshairs on the first dove, squeeze the trigger, and all 3 fall to the ground.  First one shot through the chest, sceond one in the neck, and the third in the head.  I was so excited that I called my friend in Colorado to tell him about it, since we would shoot doves together sometimes.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:03:34 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Don't throw tiles when you're firing an AR up into the atmosphere.    

Nevermind, parden me, I've done both, and worse.  No preachin' from me.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:07:58 PM EDT
[#22]
100 yard shot with a crossman pump pellet gun (it was across a dressage arena).. Rested it through a chain link fence 10-15 yards from it (its 100 yards across), on the clear other end there was a pigeon I was hired to rid the property of. First shot was a perfect neck shot. I had a small 4x15 pellet gun scope on it, and lined up WAY high. Fired and watched as the pellet dropped nearly 1.5' and slowed to where it took over a second to hit. I had made a few LONG pellet gun shots, some upto 100 yards before, but they usually required a few test shots before I got the drop and wind sheer correct. I have issues hitting that kind of shot with my PSS now.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:09:31 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Only other time I was this lucky was a few years later I saw a morning dove in my backyard about 30 feet away from me. I was in my parents garage painting something and I saw some old bathroom tile on a shelf. I did my best impersonation of Dave Righetti of the New York Yankees picking off a base runner and threw the tile at the dove. I nailed it dead on. A puff of feathers and that sucker was nailed right in the head.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:12:13 PM EDT
[#24]
Hmm
Luckiest shot eh?
I dunno if this was lucky, (I prefer to think of it as skill)
Its one of the coolest I ever pulled off.  

225 yards, with a scoped AR-50.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:12:23 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

?
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:14:00 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The back stop was a huge ass hill/mountain in the desert. No cacti were hurt in the making of this fantastic shot.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:17:44 PM EDT
[#27]
200 yds., off hand, MIA, iron sights, at aNRA 25 yd. pistol target.
Told my Marine buddy, "Watch this", and busted the 10 ring.
1st shot.
No BS!
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:21:38 PM EDT
[#28]
A couple of years ago I was shooting with a few of my friends . We were getting ready to leave because it was getting dark . There were 2-3 , 4" orange clays on the berm about 110 yards out and we were shooting at them with our handguns . I hit one with my 6" Anaconda and with that there was an instant $100 bet that I couldn't do it again .........

I said Hey no problem , ya bunch of amateurs and raised the pistol one handed and popped another one

Thus proving the theory : Sometimes the sun actually does shine on a dogs ass

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:21:51 PM EDT
[#29]
Appox. 227 yard shot to a rabbit in the head with my ar 7/ .22. I was using kentucky windage and nailed him right in the head. Doubt I could repeat that one.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:41:56 PM EDT
[#30]
Hypothetically speaking, I may have once pulled a "watch this!" and shot a flying duck out of the air at about 80 yards with a scoped sp.1.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
Hypothetically speaking, I may have once pulled a "watch this!" and shot a flying duck out of the air at about 80 yards.

You to! mine was a field lark, we were out trying to jump up something since the doves werent flying that day and a covey of field larks jump up and flew, at the time I had a turkey choke on my 870 and shooting #7's and I swear that bird was a good 70 steps away when I picked it up I dont know if one pellet hit it or it had a heart attack, but we still laugh about that today
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:47:19 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The back stop was a huge ass hill/mountain in the desert. No cacti were hurt in the making of this fantastic shot.

Knocked offline as I was Edit'ingTA that,...   hey, you're in AZ, and maybe there was a huge ass mountain as a backdrop.  I'm in Flat Florida, mmkay?  

Back to the subject of the thread.  Luckiest Shot?  Need to think about that a bit.  May have involved a very-UnLucky robin.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 10:53:53 PM EDT
[#33]
I was about ten or eleven.  The neighbor kid was shooting his crossman in the back yard.  He set up an R2D2 on the fence across his pool.  He bet me my bike vs. his that I couldn't hit it.  Distance was about fifty feet or so.  Seemed like a mile at the time.  Nailed it on the first shot.  Mom made me give his bike back though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:02:36 PM EDT
[#34]
Met my buddy at the range put my Beretta 92 on then watched him shoota while. He sais " Are you gonna practice " and I said something cocky then pointed at a lone dandelion on top of the 25yd berm. He laughed as I proceded to cock the hammer and clip the stem. Then I holstered my gun. He asked if I was gonna shoot anymore and I asked "WHY?". It is weird but I sometimes do similr things when I am focused.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:04:50 PM EDT
[#35]
I shoot clay targets laid up on a berm. I was blasting away with my AK at 50 yards (stupid deer rifle people shoot across lanes and take up the 100 yard), a bullet dug under the clay pigeon in the dirt and launched it 3 feet or so in the air, I nailed! I acted as if I had done it a hundred times, only a few people saw it though.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I was 13 or 14 and I was playing around with a Daisy powerline pneumatic pistol and I saw a big fly on a piece of wood about 15' away from me. I took a shot at it and took it ass off and the fly was still alive but it had no butt!

Why would you hurt an animal for no reason? A liberal I could understand, even if you dont have a reason, you still do, they're liberal....

S.O.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:11:11 PM EDT
[#37]
My luckiest was my second time to dove hunt.  There was little in the air and it was all flying high and away.  At 30 yds I saw a spot floating in the air so I shot it with a handicap 12 gauge load.  Upon closer inspection, it was a medium size sparrow.  Only bird I bagged that day. hinking.gif
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:29:18 PM EDT
[#38]
I have shot a Bud bottle cap that was lying in the mud, with a Ruger Mk II from about 21yrds, three consecutive shots in a row.

My most unluckiest shot(s) was at 30yrds. I bump fired 30rnds through a Mini-14 from the hip at a 6"x6" target. I hit on paper twice. The A Team would have been proud.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:31:15 PM EDT
[#39]
I was out hunting zombified tree rats with my Winchester 12-gauge, walking along a ridge top, to be level with the tops of the trees about 35 yds away. I saw one of the little buggars running from tree to tree, and so I gave him a good lead, and right as he jumped from one tree to another, I fired. As it happened, I had given him too much lead, and I shot the branch he was jumping onto out from under him, so he fell about 50 ft and broke his neck, which led to his timely redemise.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#40]
Was watching a guy try to sight in a brand new 38-55 New England Arms "Buffalo Rifles" (break open single shot) open iron sights.  And at the same time trying various loads to see what grouped best.  Probably should do one or the other not both at the same time. He was using  jury rigged rest and was all over the place.  I was waiting for something, and he was getting frustrated, he asked me if I wanted to give it a try and see what I thought of the sight and load (Or in other words, think you can do any better???).  Well the "target" was half a clay pigeon at about  80 yards.   Said I'ld give it a try, fed one in, brought it up in a quick motion and squeezed it off almost as soon as it came to my shoulder.  Powdered that sucker.  Handed it back, said "Seems good to me."  

Rancid Crabtree would have been proud.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 12:03:06 AM EDT
[#41]
My FIRST forray into the "Evil Black Rifle" World. Since this incident... I was hooked. My buddy who owns a Colt sporter and i were out shooting and I had a bottle upside down on a stick. i had my S&W 686 357 mag. We were about 100 yards or so out. i told him "Watch this" and I take my 357 and shoot the bottle leaving ONLY the mouth of the bottle on the stick... I said what do ya think about that???

He said "Big deal" took his AR and shot out the mouth of the bottle leaving the stick.... Bastard.

Needless to say, thats when I was determined to get one.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:22:36 AM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:25:40 AM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:29:15 AM EDT
[#44]
I shot an elephant in my pajamas one night. How he ever got into my pajamas, I'll never know.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 2:55:57 AM EDT
[#45]
Water buffalo. Approximate distance, 4000'.  
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 3:42:57 AM EDT
[#46]
Iron sighted Air Rifle.

No glasses

Pretty dark

10m milo tin

Couldnt even see the damnt hing.

Smacked it right on the top rim making it fall over

Not that impressive but it sure was for a 12 year old kid who had never shot before.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:04:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:04:55 AM EDT
[#48]
Not with a gun, but with a bow. My buddy and I were practicing with our compounds a few years (jeez...close to 8 or 9) ago. We were shooting the standard 15,20,30,40 yards shots and doing quite well. Chris bets me 10.00 I couldn't hit the target from the back of the property line.....a shot that was close to 80+ yards out. I take him up on it. The target is 24 x 24 inches...all I had to do was hit it.

I steady myself, draw back guesstimate the sight placement and touch off the trigger on my release. We both watch as the arrow arcs thru the air, and impacts 1/2" below the center of the bullseye.
Chris: No fucking WAY!!!

me: Wanna go double or nothing?

Chris: No fucking way you can do that again....you're on.

Me: Watch this....

Second shot impacted 2" above and just to the right of the first arrow. I am now 20.00 richer.

He still talks about those two shots. We were always shooting guns or bows together. Kinda lost touch with him in the past few years. I bet if I call him, he will bring that up again.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:17:16 AM EDT
[#49]
I was out shooting with some friends.  I had my S&W 629 .44 Mag (8-3/8" bbl) holstered.  I said "Watch this" and just did a quick-draw and blasted a 2-liter bottle full of water from the hip.  Couldn't do it again after that.  Had a few other lucky shot with various firearms but that one just stands out.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 4:20:58 AM EDT
[#50]
Skeet shooting with a 10/22 and 50 round mag is fun.

Samuel
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top