Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 5/27/2002 1:19:56 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:21:57 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/27/2002 1:22:44 PM EST by 7]
Dunno, but are you still in NJ? [:)] Edited to say, 80's but only because I grew up in the 80's. [:D]
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:26:21 PM EST
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:27:56 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/27/2002 1:30:06 PM EST by raven]
The 70's were a great decade for movies, no doubt about it. That's when the director became a really important and recognized part of of filmmaking. Clockwork Orange Serpico Chinatown Mean Streets That Kubrick movie set in the 1700's...forget the name....Barry Lyndon! Star Wars Exploitation movies The French Connection Jaws Ryan's Daughter Apocalypse Now Dirty Harry movies James Bond movies THE GODFATHER But I'm such a movie buff, there's no way I could say the 70's spawned the best movies. The 50's were pretty bereft of good movies though.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:35:19 PM EST
As far as movies I enjoyed I would probably say the 70's also. [url]http://www.filmsite.org/afi100decades.html[/url] Looking at the titles of the movies I would say the 70's followed by the 30's though I feel the movies from the 30's to be more significant to the industry.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:37:11 PM EST
It's kinda hard to say. I think that a larger number of really good movies were made in the 30s through the 60s, but obviously they lacked the special effects that make today's movies so realistic (or believable, in the case of unrealistic movies.) I think that today's special effects are often used as a replacement for a good story, and that big names are often cast in roles because they're big names, not because they're the best for the role. If "Patton" was remade today, there'd be CG German tanks instead of US M47s, but they'd probably cast John Travolta or Ben Affleck as Patton - give me George C Scott and "American" German tanks any day!
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:39:16 PM EST
[Last Edit: 5/27/2002 1:42:49 PM EST by Kar98]
The 30s, no doubt. Back when none of the movies had any "messages", but were still played by cute actresses and handsome-ish actors. Best movie of all times: Gone with The Wind. Edited to add, NH###: to make you feel better, the Germans _did_ use quite a number of American and other tanks. French, Russian, British, whatever held still long enough got a swastika painted on the sides, and a big one on the turret to be safe from the Luftwaffe.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 1:48:17 PM EST
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:
Originally Posted By 7: Dunno, but are you still in NJ? [:)] Edited to say, 80's but only because I grew up in the 80's. [:D]
View Quote
Yeah, I am still here. FMJunkie and I are supposed to be rolling out on Wed. morning. We did get to a range near him yesterday so we could get a little practice for the competitions (we suck) but we are going to give it a try anyway [:D]. W Only a couple of days now, I will hopefully run into you there. What day are you going to try to get there on?
View Quote
Leaving Wed morning also. Libertyof76 is driving down here early and we hope to leave around 6am. Drive 12 hours or so and do the final few hours Thursday morning. See you there.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 2:49:18 PM EST
Originally Posted By Kar98: The 30s, no doubt. Back when none of the movies had any "messages", but were still played by cute actresses and handsome-ish actors. Best movie of all times: Gone with The Wind.
View Quote
Also voted the 30s but for a differnt reason. Universal Pictures Movies King Kong Dracula Frankenstein The Mummy The Invisible Man Without them, no Creature Feature. Without Creature Feature my childhood would have sucked.
Link Posted: 5/27/2002 4:42:03 PM EST
Top Top