Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/14/2004 8:29:04 AM EDT
Personally, I enjoy StarGate SG-1, and when M*A*S*H was on, I thought it was tops, despite its political leaning.  In The Heat of the Night was pretty good, too.  Another favorite is Buffy The Vampire Slayer.

I voted for Stargate.  How many of us would love to have a bright, witty, beautiful blonde answering our every order with, "Yes, sir?"  Everyone loves Samantha Carter, who is probably the only woman ever created who doesn't suffer PMS every few weeks.  If you wanted a buddy, "T'ealc" is the ultimate.  He's a big, tough guy, who would watch your 6 in any situation and who speaks only when spoken to.  I especially enjoyed the episode in which T'ealc got his own apartment.  Colonel Jack O'Neil is always looking for one "big honkin' space gun," and the guy has an instinct for doing what is right.  He is sharp, but has a penchant for looking clueless.  Daniel Jackson is a character probably patterned after Indianna Jones, and he has died as many times as SouthPark's Kenny.  The series has some very funny episodes, as well as some excellent action thrillers.  Good effects, too.  The series is waaaaaaaaaay better than the movie!

Buffy the Vampire Slayer stars Sarah Michelle Gellar.  Watching the show makes you wish you were 18 again, even in a world of vampires and ghouls!  It is well-written.  One particular episode comes to mind.  It had two realities.  One was the world we see weekly where Buffy is a Vampire Slayer with a band of friends, fighting evil with super human powers.  The other had Buffy withdrawn, in a coma.  She was severely depressed and made up her friends and enemies, as well as her super human powers, as a means to cope with it.  Her doctor tried to convince her to renounce her imaginary world, fearing she would fall into a coma so deep she could never be brought back.  Both her parents begged her to give up her illusions and come home to them.  As she lapsed back into what may be a dream world, she chose to stay there (reality or not), so as to save her friends (imaginary or not).  It was a sharp, thought provoking episode.  What is real?  The TV series far surpassed the movie.

The series M*A*S*H surpassed the movie which spawned it, as well.  On a weekly basis, viewers got a glimpse of people trying to deal with an insane situation - war.  It was a way to handle Vietnam issues, not to mention those of bloody Korea.  In my opinion, our national leadership failed in each instance.  In Vietnam, for the first time, our national media undermined our country's military effort, turning military victories, such as the Tet Offensive, into defeat.  I hated the last episode, which left such a sour taste that I could not vote for M*A*S*H as my favorite in this survey.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#1]
La Femme Nikita...
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:33:32 AM EDT
[#2]

1.  Highlander

2.  Buffy

3.  Stargate

Zen
"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:36:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:39:42 AM EDT
[#4]
Buffy... The movie sucked, but the show was entertaining and fairly original. I really enjoyed watching that show. And getting my fix of Alyson Hannigan...  

"In the Heat of the Night" was an excellent movie, and the series had moments... but in terms of sheer entertainment value, Buffy's it.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#5]
M.A.S.H hands down.  It is anti gun, but it was still funny as hell.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:42:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Stargate...indeed.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:42:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Hogan's Heroes - a spoof on Stalag 17
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

...Buffy the Vampire Slayer ...

...The TV series far surpassed the movie.

Amen.  Dismissed by many as a "kiddie show," Buffy enjoyed levels of great writing, directing, and acting that most television productions can only aspire to.  Despite many liberal undertones , it is my favorite show/franchise/fictional universe (after Star Trek , of course ).  

How many series could pull of a serious, old-fashioned musical epsiode, complete with all-original score (good music, to boot!)?

Whedon is a genius.  I can't wait for the Firefly movie!  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:50:50 AM EDT
[#9]
La Femme Nikita is one of my favorites.  Lots of eye candy for all, and very well written, in my opinion.  One of hte first series to come out that featured a butt-kicking woman, it pre-dates Buffy after all, with substance, and stayed, for the most part, far away from politcal commentary aside from the obvious warning that an agency with no oversight can and will abuse that authority.  Great episodes from beginning to end.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:11:15 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
La Femme Nikita is one of my favorites... One of hte first series to come out that featured a butt-kicking woman, ...  

Ah, Grasshopper, you must be too young to remember Police Woman, Get Christie Love, Julie on The Mod Squad, etc. ???  

ETA:  Not to mention later shows like Wonder Woman, The Bionic Woman, and, of course, Elektra Woman and Dyna Girl!
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
La Femme Nikita is one of my favorites... One of hte first series to come out that featured a butt-kicking woman, ...  

Ah, Grasshopper, you must be too young to remember Police Woman, Get Christie Love, Julie on The Mod Squad, etc. ???  

Angie Dickenson in her prime was WICKED!  I was just a little kid and thought she was hot.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:47:58 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Hogan's Heroes - a spoof on Stalag 17

+1,000,000

My favorite show of all time.  Followed closely by Magnum P.I.  
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 10:50:06 AM EDT
[#13]
I forgot all about the Logans Run series. It was pretty bad.

I would have to go with MASH.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:27:12 AM EDT
[#14]
I like Stargate SG-1 but I voted for M*A*S*H.  Funny thing is when I watch Stargate I am always thinking "McGiver"
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:37:55 AM EDT
[#15]
I liked the movie Alien Nation, but I never watched the show.  It just seemed wrong without James Caan and Mandy Patinkin.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 11:49:57 AM EDT
[#16]
SG-1, no contest.

I have watched a few of them, though. Alien Nation, Buffy are two that were moderately successful. Planet of the Apes is one that was not.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:02:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:14:54 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Buffy... The movie sucked, but the show was entertaining and fairly original. I really enjoyed watching that show. And getting my fix of Alyson Hannigan...  

The movie wasn't that bad...it just sucks when compared to the tv show.  It's worth watching if only for Paul Reuben's (PeeWee Herman) death scene.

And +1 re Alyson   Luv them redheads!!!!
B:TVS was chock full of hotties: Hannigan, Dushku, Carpenter, Caufield, Benz, Trachtenburg , McNab, Landau <hmmm, Drusilla >, etc.  Funny thing is....Buffy herself, Gellar, doesn't really do much for me.    

<edit> Alien Nation the tv show wasn't bad but was kinda lame in comparison to the movie.
In The Heat Of The Night was a pretty good copshow.  I'll still watch every once in a while when I come across it channel surfing.
MASH......  

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:39:34 PM EDT
[#19]
Sunday Monday Happy Days Tuesday Wednesday, Happy Days

Happy Days was a great series adaped from a movie.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 12:45:41 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Yep.  BTVS was not only a great show, with great direction... it was the source of many lexicons of our modern time.   Ever see someone spill a drink while trying to drink it and say 'Drink much?'...  have you ever asked if someone could 'vague that up a little'?    Ever had the 'wiggins'?   Has anyone ever copped a 'Joan Collins 'tude' with you?   Those all came from Buffy.  

(I preferred Charisma Carpenter to the rest of the Sunnydale girls... followed her over to Angel, and really like that show, too.  Alas, both are gone and are history.   )
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:08:38 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I think Frank and Henry were funnier than Hawkeye, but why did they have to kill Henry when they sent him home. :-(
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:19:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I think Frank and Henry were funnier than Hawkeye, but why did they have to kill Henry when they sent him home. :-(

M.A.S.H sucked after Col. Blake and Trapper John left.  Alan Alda had way too much creative control and it just turned into a radical-left preach-fest every damn week.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 3:29:02 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Sunday Monday Happy Days Tuesday Wednesday, Happy Days

Happy Days was a great series adapted from a movie.

No, it wasn’t.
It was a spinoff from the TV series, Love American Style.  There was an episode titled Love and the Happy Days.
And then came that Lucas movie….American Graffiti.

Oh, the stuff you can learn around by just listening to people.  I remember Ron Howard, one of its stars, explain it one day…I remembered “Love…” very well.  I don’t remember the episode in particular, but as there were two or three episodes each week, that isn’t too surprising.
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:21:15 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

To keep him from taking his character to another network.  And to add a little realism to the show.  

Edited to say: Frank Burns Eats Worms
Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:23:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Star Gate SG-1

Only homos like Alan Alda and his extreme lefist views.  Hell, he even broadcasted them on the MASH series.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:25:15 PM EDT
[#26]
I dont watch enough TV to say.

Link Posted: 10/14/2004 8:28:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Odd Couple was pretty good.

Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in the movie

Tony Randall and Jack Klugman on TV
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 4:58:03 AM EDT
[#28]
Though I don't particularly like it, if you use the term "best" as criteria, nothing comes close to MASH.  The other top picks would probably be Fame followed by SG-1.  Personally, I like the SG-1 series the most.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:03:21 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

To keep him from taking his character to another network.  And to add a little realism to the show.  

Edited to say: Frank Burns Eats Worms

OK ferret face.   :-)
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 9:06:18 AM EDT
[#30]
M*A*S*H, no doubt.  My dad always said while watching the show "Korea sure looks a lot like California."
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 10:45:45 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
M*A*S*H, no doubt.  My dad always said while watching the show "Korea sure looks a lot like California."

FOX Ranch in the Santa Monica Mountains
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:41:05 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Quoted:
..Edited to say: Frank Burns Eats Worms

OK ferret face.   :-)

TOE TAG:  "Emotionally exhausted & morally bankrupt."
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 7:42:18 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Odd Couple was pretty good.

Walter Matthau and Jack Lemmon in the movie

Tony Randall and Jack Klugman on TV

Good call!    I don't know how I forgot about that one - great movie, pretty doggone good series...
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:16:02 PM EDT
[#34]
The Odd Couple was an excellent adaptation of a movie to a TV series!  I'd forgotten about it, and I agree it was top notch!  I had not thought of Logans Run, Highlander, or Alien Nation, and I'm not familiar with La Femme Nikita. Of those series, I would rate Odd Couple highest, but that's just me.  I liked Highlander.  It was a "heads up" show!  Alien Nation would be funny if they cast Hispanic actors in the alien roles, but I'm not sure that sour milk thing would work then.
Link Posted: 10/15/2004 8:23:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Stargate! Mash did'nt have enough gunplay & babes
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top