Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 5/28/2003 9:11:04 PM EDT
In the final bank robbery scene, Robert Deniro and Val Kilmer had tactical vests on that held 6(?) AR Mags and were concealable under their business suits. Anybody know about these vests or where to get them?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:15:46 PM EDT
I believe someone once said they were custom workups. They looked like they had elastic straps to hold the mags in place. Cool rig. And were those bungie slings they were carrying with?
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:16:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/28/2003 9:17:48 PM EDT by Lumpy196]
They were custom designed by former SAS Andy McNabb, the technical advisor for the movie. To the best of my knowledge they arent commercially available.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:16:28 PM EDT
I have never seen any for sale, I know if I did I would buy them all! So it may have been something one of the on shoot taylors made up.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 9:21:48 PM EDT
It kind of struck me curious as well. Yep, they appeared to have bungee cords for slings and elastic/velcro to hold the mags on their vests. The vests they had on in the Armored car hold up appears to be SWAT Issue PointBlank MRV Class III body armor.
Link Posted: 5/28/2003 11:12:13 PM EDT
Thanks for the info. If the vests were some kind of custom job, that is one of the most innovative and original ideas I have seen in a Hollywood movie.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 2:11:44 AM EDT
held 6(?) AR Mags and were concealable under their business suits.
View Quote
Thats called Hollywood. editing and camera angles. Try on a suit, two sizes bigger, You'll look like "Tom Hanks" at the end of 'Big"
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:26:54 AM EDT
You are exploiting the Heat loophole. I liked Heat's attention to detail. I noticed the mags in Mike Cheritto's vest at the armored car robbery appeared to be FAL mags. He had to be different and was armed with an FAL. We should start a thread on flaws in Heat.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:41:26 AM EDT
I think we just did.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 3:45:59 AM EDT
Originally Posted By osprey21: I think we just did.
View Quote
Oh, that's what happens when you post first and read later.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:41:34 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BBossman:
View Quote
Thats called Hollywood. editing and camera angles. "
View Quote
I understand your point that most people would have unusual bulges in their clothing but the way the robbery was portrayed in the movie, it worked. Val Kilmer had his suit jacket unbuttoned and blousy, offering more concealability. For the purposes they were using they equipment for, it worked. If every imaginary citizen in the movie was completely aware of the details of the robbers, it would not have been the mag vests that were the give-aways. It would have been the ear buds they wore or Tom Sizemore's Galil poking out for his jacket that would scream "I AM A ROBBER". To add to the realism, those were Kalifornia citizens, who would not know the difference between a Galil muzzle and a blender. People do not notice these things just like they don't notice open carry. The vests were cool.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:42:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By BBossman:
View Quote
Thats called Hollywood. editing and camera angles. "
View Quote
I understand your point that most people would have unusual bulges in their clothing but the way the robbery was portrayed in the movie, it worked. Val Kilmer had his suit jacket unbuttoned and blousy, offering more concealability. For the purposes they were using they equipment for, it worked. If every imaginary citizen in the movie was completely aware of the details of the robbers, it would not have been the mag vests that were the give-aways. It would have been the ear buds they wore or Tom Sizemore's Galil poking out for his jacket that would scream "I AM A ROBBER". To add to the realism, those were Kalifornia citizens, who would not know the difference between a Galil muzzle and a blender. People do not notice these things just like they don't notice open carry. The vests were cool.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 10:58:02 AM EDT
damn you people, im gonna have to go watch this damn movie now, thats all there is to it
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:09:17 AM EDT
Not the identical item you are asking for, but probably a lot better, the SOTech Hellcat chest rig. [img]http://www.lightfighter.com/SO-Tech/SOt-chest.jpg[/img] I just ordered one in OD, but they can be had in blk or just about any other color or camo pattern. I've heard nothing but great things about the vest. Here's a run down of the features straight from [url]http://www.lightfighter.com/generic.html?pid=44[/url]
Sale Price: $105.00 The Special Operations Technologies Hellcat Modular Chest Rig is made to be rugged and simple. Its design accomodates six M4 magazines behind three rows of PALS webbing that will accommodate any of the MOLLE, SPEAR, or FSBE pockets. The magazine pockets on the chest rig close with a Type 13 webbing strap and snap closure. The simple nylon pull taps are easy to manipulate and are elevated out of the way of whatever magazine or utility pouches you might have installed on the front. The chest rig is supported by two wide, non-padded, shoulder straps that cross in the back. Quick release buckles on the left hand side make donning or jettisoning this rig easy (and no buckle on the firing shoulder insures a proper weld every time). A third strap with another quick release buckle wraps around the waist in the back to hold the rig secure. The Modular Chest Rig is made in the United States and is covered by SO Tech's LIFETIME warranty. It is available from Lightfighter.com in Black, Olive Drab, Woodland, Tan, Tri-color, CADPAT, Coyote Brown, and Arctic White.
View Quote
The Hellcat II and III are $30 more but can be split from the center via a velcro strip or fastex buckles, depending on which model you choose. There are also some cheaper chest pouches from Eagle and BH, but I went with the SOTech Hellcat for the PALS webbing since I'm hanging a bunch of mag pouches off of mine.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:11:15 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TexRdnec: damn you people, im gonna have to go watch this damn movie now, thats all there is to it
View Quote
You mean you haven't seen HEAT?!?!?! That's it, your account is locked until you report back with a full written review and oral ppresentation on the movie... [stick]
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 11:47:41 AM EDT
Originally Posted By TexRdnec: damn you people, im gonna have to go watch this damn movie now, thats all there is to it
View Quote
Make sure you rent the 'correct' Heat. There is an old one that supposedly sucks. The good one was '94 or '95.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 4:43:47 PM EDT
What we need is an ARFCOM directors cut DVD. With only the gunfights, and a voice over describing the minutia of weapons and gear.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 7:11:56 PM EDT
That's a good idea. There can also be commentary on how Heat was Deniro's last good movie.
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 8:49:14 PM EDT
Check this out. http://www.moviemistakes.com/film.php?filmid=598
Link Posted: 5/29/2003 9:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/29/2003 9:02:51 PM EDT by Thomas_A_Anderson]
Your link doesn't work. [url]http://www.moviemistakes.com/film.php?filmid=598 [/url]
Top Top