Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2005 7:49:12 AM EDT
Lately everytime I go to my doc in the box I get the DO instead of the MD. I asked the nurse and she said she didn't know what the difference was  
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:50:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Doctor of Osteopathy.

<---- Much prefers DO over MD.

In my experience, a DO will seek to heal the body, whereas MDs tend to treat the symptoms.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:51:28 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 7:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Doctor of Osteopathy.

<---- Much prefers DO over MD.

In my experience, a DO will seek to heal the body, whereas MDs tend to treat the symptoms.

It used to be that way, but lately there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of difference.
My primary Dr is a DO, and he's turned into just another scrip writer.........

Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:01:27 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Time to find another DO, my friend...
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:03:30 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Time to find another DO, my friend...

+1

Your DO has turned to the dark side.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:06:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 8:56:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I'll take the MD!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:14:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:21:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Follow-Up:

What do all the other initials mean after a doctor's name: FACS (?) and other things? Do these things really have meaning or is it like the TLA (Three-Letter Acronym) and ETLA (Extended Three-Letter Acronym)?
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:24:01 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:26:00 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
facs=member of the american college of surgeons, I don't know where the F comes from.

= "fellow" IIRC
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:33:28 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
facs=member of the american college of surgeons, I don't know where the F comes from.

AH. Thanks. So does this indicate that the subject physician performs surgery, or just that he pay a few hundred bucks a year to get a magazine and some extra initials on his lab coat?

<----- M.ASCE
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:47:41 AM EDT
[#13]
Someone using FACS as a credential is a surgeon (or was - may not be practicing).  Quoted from FACS.ORG

Members of the American College of Surgeons are referred to as "Fellows." The letters FACS (Fellow, American College of Surgeons) after a surgeon's name mean that the surgeon's education and training, professional qualifications, surgical competence, and ethical conduct have passed a rigorous evaluation, and have been found to be consistent with the high standards established and demanded by the College.

Sam
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 9:53:31 AM EDT
[#14]
DO, MD, whatever. $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ and they just hand out prescriptions.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:05:12 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

BS. But what do I know, I'm only an MD who's been in residency, med school, or grad school for the last 12 years.  The only $ I have are those in my quarterly student loan interest statements, and pharmacists are a little quirky - they actually require prescriptions for some of those wasteful medications for blood pressure, antibiotics, insulin, etc.
Link Posted: 8/22/2005 10:16:01 AM EDT
[#16]
A DO is a doctor that couldnt get into MD school back in medical school.  McM
Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:26:25 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

me--ignorant you

Link Posted: 8/24/2005 4:27:58 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
A DO is a doctor that couldnt get into MD school back in medical school.  McM

Since DO's must pass all the examinations of an MD they are equal in my mind.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top