Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/7/2006 10:10:22 AM EDT
My washing machine went belly up. I need a new one. Can anyone give me some recommendations. As always I don't have oogles to spend but I want a good one that will handle the abuse of my family.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:12:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pattymcn:
My washing machine went belly up. I need a new one. Can anyone give me some recommendations. As always I don't have oogles to spend but I want a good one that will handle the abuse of my family.

Patty

Fisher and Paykel washer and dryer
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:16:10 AM EDT
Whirlpool.

Been using it for the last 5 years - at least 3 times a week.

I've taken it apart 3 times and cleaned everything.

Coupla weeks ago, it stopped heating. I found the troubleshooting guide on the Net for it, and found the Thermal Fuse had blown. I bought the fuse at Sears for $7.49.

I'll buy Whirlpool from now on.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:16:45 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsDrFrige:

Patty

Fisher and Paykel washer and dryer

I'm a totla dork when it comes to appliances. I've never heard of Fisher and Paykel.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:41 AM EDT
Paging Dr. Frige, Paging Dr. Frige....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:24:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 10:25:22 AM EDT by Backstop]

I'm a totla dork when it comes to appliances. I've never heard of Fisher and Paykel.

I thought those guys rated movies.

Seriously, I'd listen to MrsDRF before me.

EDIT: Holy crap I posted in the Womens Forum again - I try to stay out of here and 'leave you your space.'

My bad.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:25:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Backstop:
Whirlpool.

Been using it for the last 5 years - at least 3 times a week.

I've taken it apart 3 times and cleaned everything.

Coupla weeks ago, it stopped heating. I found the troubleshooting guide on the Net for it, and found the Thermal Fuse had blown. I bought the fuse at Sears for $7.49.

I'll buy Whirlpool from now on.

Thanks, I've heard good things about Whirlpool. I have a GE - I run about 3 cycles a day and its last me about 8 years. I'm not sure if that's good or not. It blew a hose about a month ago and flooded my utility room and now the motor is shot. My husband thinks its the motor and the transmission so its pointless to buy the parts to replace them both.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:26:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By toast:

MrsFrige is as good [if not better ] considering I'm sure DocFrige wouldn't let her use anything but the best.

Patty
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:08:21 AM EDT
Make sure you get one with a "lint trap" I believe it's called... older washers almost always had them, many/most newer ones apparently don't. Trust me, you want that function
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:23:02 AM EDT
Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!...

It saved my marriage! We had a Maytag that was a friggin Albatross. Fisher & Paykels are Simple, Direct drive (So no transmissions or couplers to break) and I can literally take the whole machine apart from start to finish with just a Phillips Screwdriver. Best washer I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. The spin speed is so flippin fast that your clothes are practically dry which then cuts down on dryer time.

You know how your wash load is always done before the dryer is finished? Not anymore.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 11:37:26 AM EDT

Originally Posted By DrFrige:
Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!... Get a Fisher & Paykel!!...

It saved my marriage! We had a Maytag that was a friggin Albatross. Fisher & Paykels are Simple, Direct drive (So no transmissions or couplers to break) and I can literally take the whole machine apart from start to finish with just a Phillips Screwdriver. Best washer I have ever seen and I have seen a lot. The spin speed is so flippin fast that your clothes are practically dry which then cuts down on dryer time.

You know how your wash load is always done before the dryer is finished? Not anymore.

How much? I'm poor.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:23:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By toast:

MrsFrige is as good [if not better ] considering I'm sure DocFrige wouldn't let her use anything but the best.

Patty

Ummmmm so you are hot for MrsDrFrige? Sure reads that way......

I really wonder about you at times babe....

BTW, I want pics.....
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:24:31 PM EDT
Oh and I have a Maytag.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:25:15 PM EDT
Crush, peel and split
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 12:46:26 PM EDT
Whirlpool and Kenmore (Sears) make about the best mid range units out there. Kenmore is made and rebadged by Whirlpool. Sears often has sales on their units with free delivery of the new and pickup of the old machine. They also sell Whirlpool or you can get Whirlpool from Lowes. We have always had Kenmore and have had very good luck with them. Expect to pay around $400 - $450 (on sale) for a decent full featured large capacity machine in these brands.

Despite what the Maytag washer repair man says about being bored, I've heard Consumer Reports doesn't rate them real high.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:19:26 PM EDT

+1

But Patty, they are NOT cheap. DrFrige recommended this to me when I was in the market. I researched and it was the best on the market. I didn't however end up getting one due to finances.
I am still chugging along with my 20+ year old Maytag. When I do go to replace, I will have saved the money to get me one though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:27:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 3:28:14 PM EDT by Backstop]
Another option: Scratch and dent store.

I bought the ones I mentioned above there, and saved about $200 on the pair. Has the same warranty as brand spanking new.

Just had a dent on the left-side-top. Hasn't affected the function in the least bit.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 3:58:46 PM EDT
I've got a Whirlpool washer and dryer, and have had no problems with them in 6+ years.

The wife has an LG front-loading combo unit - both washer and dryer in one, and she loves it. But it only makes sense if you have limited space, otherwise I don't think it's worth the money really.

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 4:47:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/7/2006 4:49:16 PM EDT by DrFrige]

How much? I'm poor.

I think somewhere in the ball park of $4500.00

­

<­BR>

JUST KIDDING!!!! I think they are in the ballpark of 500.00. This is the one I suggest... the GWL 11:

Link Posted: 1/7/2006 5:34:33 PM EDT

I think they are in the ballpark of 500.00. This is the one I suggest... the GWL 11:

www.gotoreviews.com/archives/GWL11_Insitu.jpg

They must have come down in price since I looked a little over a year ago. I was looking at close to $800 to get one.
Hmmm a new washer may be closer in my future then I thought !
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:15:25 PM EDT
Humm...I like the size. However the closet one to Portland costs about $650. I'm not sure if I can swing that much. What makes these so much better?
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 7:29:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

I think they are in the ballpark of 500.00. This is the one I suggest... the GWL 11:

They must have come down in price since I looked a little over a year ago. I was looking at close to $800 to get one.

the intergrated ones IWL12 are in the $800 range....
the GWL11 is $629 everywhere I just looked
(Lowes carries them)
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:23:27 PM EDT

Humm...I like the size. However the closet one to Portland costs about $650. I'm not sure if I can swing that much. What makes these so much better?

Quite a few reasons:

1. Stainless steel basket (no rust or chipping porcelain)
2. Spin speed is OUTRAGEOUS (as stated before) the water extraction is incredible
3. Parts cost is low (board for a Whirlpool or Maytag is like 300.00, F&P is like 80.00)
4. Repair track record is small. I see MAYBE 4-5 A YEAR.
5. Technicians hate them... they rarely break so no money to be made
6. NO transmission, coupler or belts. Less parts to break
7. SMART technology. You DO NOT set your water level. it will do it depending on how much clothes you have... what was funny was when we were doing the training on the washer. They had 4 beach towels in the washer and it was working away. The service manager dropped a washcloth in as it was agitating and the washer sensed it. Stopped and filled with more water to accomodate that extra little bit of load.

I made a deal with two of my good friends. One in Las Vegas and one in Huntington beach. I told them to buy them when they first came out. Since they never heard of them I made them a deal. I told them "If you dont like it, fax me the receipt, I will buy them back from you and pick them up"

THAT is how much confidence I have in them.

My friend in LV was pissed because they liked it so much his wife made him buy the matching dryer.
My friend in HB said "It's everything you said, and MORE"
Link Posted: 1/7/2006 10:28:21 PM EDT
OH I do have a funny story about one. I had a customer with one of the original units in her home. The motor burned out on it. When I called the main office to order a new part, i get a call from the tech department saying "Why are you ordering a new motor?" I said "Because it is burnt" they didnt believe me... they said rather than fix it, they want it back because they dont burn out.

So here it is, a machine that is 5 years old (# years AFTER her warranty expired) they give her a brand spanking new machine. They found what caused the problem. It was a stupid plug in the seal that broke loose and water got on the motor. But for a company to stand up and say "Give us that unit" is UNHEARD of.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:39:23 AM EDT
Man, I gotta look into that brand.

With no transmission, coupler or belts, how does the motor attach to the basket?

Directly - motor output shaft bolts to basket?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:06:22 AM EDT

Originally Posted By MrsDrFrige:

Originally Posted By MrsGungho:

the intergrated ones IWL12 are in the $800 range....
the GWL11 is $629 everywhere I just looked
(Lowes carries them)

believe me I am glad to see that one is less then $800. I wanted one when DrF told me about them close to a year ago. I still want one. Next time my washer breaks I may have enough saved to get one. Chances are though it may be some time before I break down again. We've fixed almost everything in the washer over the last few years and the repair guys always tell me not to go get a new one, as long as I can get parts for my 20 year old one, do it as they don't make them like that anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:41:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 4:45:58 AM EDT by npd233]
Frigidaire Gallery full-sized front loaders, and I have them stacked dryer on top of washer to save room in the laundry area.

Front load washers use about 20 gallons less water than top loader washing machines. For 3 loads a day, that's a savings of almose 22,000 gallons a year. Whether or not you get frigidaire or any other brand, keep in mind the front loaders!
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:00:47 AM EDT
Patty, we bought a new Maytag washer and dryer in 1997 and they are both still going strong.

We have three boys in our family, and we average 15 loads per week.

Just like in those old commercials, the Maytag repair man is probably sitting
in his office waiting for the phone to ring, because he has never gotten a
call from us.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 5:19:13 AM EDT
I have a Kenmore (actually made by Whirlpool IIRC) that I bought in 1988, and it's going strong. It survived many years of washing greasy filthy clothes and at times shop rags from my days restoring and racing muscle cars. I figure 18 years through two houses and dealing with me and several (now)ex GF's, along with my current GF, it should be getting tired, but it keeps on going. I've never even opened it up to look inside. The only maintanence it has seen (washer) is cleaning out the screens at the water inlets.

In other words, Whirlpool is (or at least was) GOOD stuff!

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
I bought a new Maytag set about 3 years ago, they suck, sorry, they do.

I will not buy another maytag product.

I will seriously look into the brand DrFrige recommends.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:00:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 10:01:12 AM EDT by DrFrige]

Originally Posted By Backstop:
Man, I gotta look into that brand.

With no transmission, coupler or belts, how does the motor attach to the basket?

Directly - motor output shaft bolts to basket?

Yes, it attaches directly to the basket itself.. and I dont know if you can tell by this picture but the motor is FLAT like a pancake. Its like 2" high by 12" wide. And to think this is AUSTRALIAN technology! NOT German, NOT American, NOT Japanese... The Aussies are gonna kick our collective asses if we dont get in gear.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 10:35:48 AM EDT
we've got a Whirlpool, and between the SO and the kids, we put it through hell... and it still does a fine job on my "not so rugged" things. I'd completely recommend it.

link

the front load washers do a fine job, and they do save quite a bit of money, so those would be on my list, too, if I were looking...
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:15:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By donne3:
we've got a Whirlpool, and between the SO and the kids, we put it through hell... and it still does a fine job on my "not so rugged" things. I'd completely recommend it.

link

the front load washers do a fine job, and they do save quite a bit of money, so those would be on my list, too, if I were looking...

Question. You take the load of clothes from upstairs, bring them down and load them into the front loader... put in the detergent and off it goes washing your clothes. You go back uspstairs and notice that a sock fell out of your arms while bringing the dirty laundry down. How do you add it to the wash in a front loader when the door is locked?

That is ONE of my gripes with front loaders, second is repair bills are HIGH. Take the Maytag Neptune for example... that sucker has THREE control boards in it each costing the consumer around 300.00 a piece.

I had a customer that was on her FIFTH set of Maytag Neptunes in three years, they kept on replacing them for her because they couldnt get them fixed. I told her to get the F&P but she was set on front loaders

Technology is great but it is getting expensive.

Sometimes you have to wonder if the good old washboard and bucket wasnt so bad afterall.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 11:46:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By donne3:

link

Question. You take the load of clothes from upstairs, bring them down and load them into the front loader... put in the detergent and off it goes washing your clothes. You go back uspstairs and notice that a sock fell out of your arms while bringing the dirty laundry down. How do you add it to the wash in a front loader when the door is locked?

That is ONE of my gripes with front loaders, second is repair bills are HIGH. Take the Maytag Neptune for example... that sucker has THREE control boards in it each costing the consumer around 300.00 a piece.

I had a customer that was on her FIFTH set of Maytag Neptunes in three years, they kept on replacing them for her because they couldnt get them fixed. I told her to get the F&P but she was set on front loaders

Technology is great but it is getting expensive.

Sometimes you have to wonder if the good old washboard and bucket wasnt so bad afterall.

My wife is a Brit she doesn’t want a top loader. She says she had one in England a long time ago and never wants one again because of what it did to her clothes. Could you speak to that because I never thought about it before but the agitator as opposed to a side loader seems like it would be kind of rough? An insight De Fridge?
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 12:15:05 PM EDT

I turn it off (which unlocks the door), open the door and shove it in. There's not enough water in it to reach the bottom lip of the door, so nothing spills out.

So true

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:17:14 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bullethead:

My wife is a Brit she doesn’t want a top loader. She says she had one in England a long time ago and never wants one again because of what it did to her clothes. Could you speak to that because I never thought about it before but the agitator as opposed to a side loader seems like it would be kind of rough? An insight De Fridge?

The older GE, Whirlpool and Maytag washers.. YOU BET they were rough on the clothes, I have had customers as well as my mom that had clothes come out all torn to crap. The new stuff is very good. I YET have got to see one of the F&P's tear up any article of clothing.

Hey, you cant please everyone. Some people are DEAD SET against side by side refrigerators as others want nothing BUT a side by side. Its all a matter of preference.

I am just stating my point of view as a technician in the field for 20 years. I know what are inherent problems of both kinds. In my home, nothing BUT a top loader. I like front loaders for one reason and one reason only. They make me lots of $$$. You want me to fix it... NO PROBLEM!! I love money and will be more than happy to fix it for ya.

But I like my friends more and dont want to see them throw money away.

I am not trying to come across as some sort of self centered prick that is too good for front loading washers. They do the job and do it well. I just wouldnt buy one for the fact that they are more expensive when you first buy them and in repair costs.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 1:47:03 PM EDT
I recently got a Whirlpool Duet and it's great. They're on the pricey side, but well worth it.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:14:22 PM EDT

Originally Posted By bullethead:

The older GE, Whirlpool and Maytag washers.. YOU BET they were rough on the clothes, I have had customers as well as my mom that had clothes come out all torn to crap. The new stuff is very good. I YET have got to see one of the F&P's tear up any article of clothing.

Hey, you cant please everyone. Some people are DEAD SET against side by side refrigerators as others want nothing BUT a side by side. Its all a matter of preference.

I am just stating my point of view as a technician in the field for 20 years. I know what are inherent problems of both kinds. In my home, nothing BUT a top loader. I like front loaders for one reason and one reason only. They make me lots of $$$. You want me to fix it... NO PROBLEM!! I love money and will be more than happy to fix it for ya.

But I like my friends more and dont want to see them throw money away.

I am not trying to come across as some sort of self centered prick that is too good for front loading washers. They do the job and do it well. I just wouldnt buy one for the fact that they are more expensive when you first buy them and in repair costs.

That is crazy talk.

Thanks for the advice and info. I tend to go with what I observe to be true and try to get advice from unbiased observers who know what they are talking about. That’s why I asked you. Thank you for the heads up, you rarely get to ask someone who pulls washing machines apart which ones suck and which ones don’t. Now I will be looking into this more on my own before we run out and buy a front loader with out looking around.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:26:43 PM EDT

Originally Posted By semiauto:
Whirlpool and Kenmore (Sears) make about the best mid range units out there. Kenmore is made and rebadged by Whirlpool. Sears often has sales on their units with free delivery of the new and pickup of the old machine. They also sell Whirlpool or you can get Whirlpool from Lowes. We have always had Kenmore and have had very good luck with them. Expect to pay around $400 - $450 (on sale) for a decent full featured large capacity machine in these brands.

Despite what the Maytag washer repair man says about being bored, I've heard Consumer Reports doesn't rate them real high.

Complete agreement here: purchased a front loading Kenmore (the Whirlpool "bastard") 10 mos ago when my old 17 year old Hotpoint washer spewed water thru my kitchen. Thank God I was home. We originally planned to buy a Maytag Neptune set...Did some research: Maytag has MANY pending lawsuits regarding their washers. So we went with the Kenmore. I like it alot...it's the HE3. It's a tad pricey though: around $1000.00.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 2:32:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:

I turn it off (which unlocks the door), open the door and shove it in. There's not enough water in it to reach the bottom lip of the door, so nothing spills out.

What NPD said. Dr.Frige, the reason we went with the front loader was simple: water/sewer costs in my municipality are OUTRAGEOUS. Front loaders use 12 gallons for every 40 a top loader uses. Also, with 2 boys and a messy hubby, I needed a larger capacity, and front loaders have the largest you can get (from what I saw out there).
While I agree, the "lost sock" can be a hassle if you're past the first 3 mins of the cycle, it was less of a pain than the $500.00 per quarter water/sewer bills were
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 3:03:21 PM EDT
I'm getting a washer education here.
Link Posted: 1/8/2006 4:37:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/8/2006 4:54:00 PM EDT by Backstop]
I didn't see anyone post it yet, so here the link to the Syskel and Ebert or whatever appliance company.

usa.fisherpaykel.com/

EDIT:

I gotta buy a w&d in a few months, so checking this out.

North Americas Most Energy Efficient Top Load Washer uses only 24% of the energy of a traditional washer. Complete the laundry in up to half the time of a frontloader, 1000rpm spin saves up to 30% time and energy in the dryer. This Super Capacity washer with unique brushless DC motor and smart electronics increases reliability with no belts, brakes, pulleys, clutches or gearboxes - parts that aren't there can't fail.

Link Posted: 1/8/2006 8:01:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 6:58:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mona:

If your dishwasher ever breaks. I know I can't help you there. because i'm the dishwasher in this household. Gosh I can't wait to buy a house with a Dishwasher.

Mona

+1
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:00:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By twonami:
Crush, peel and split

Yeah, nami!!!

You know you spend too much time here when some one asks you that question and your immediate thought is PEEL or CRUSH!
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:43:21 AM EDT
Soooo...

Did you get one yet? What'd ya get?
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 7:50:29 AM EDT

Originally Posted By npd233:
Soooo...

Did you get one yet? What'd ya get?

Sigh, no not yet.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:22:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Mona:
Last year when the washer fianlly died. TBS and I didn't have the extra mula. but we went to Lowes and bought a Roper Washing Machine for $250.00's and that's with tax and all.

If your dishwasher ever breaks. I know I can't help you there. because i'm the dishwasher in this household. Gosh I can't wait to buy a house with a Dishwasher.

Mona

Roper is good. it is a Wolf in sheep's clothing. Its a Whirlpool just without the bells and whistles. it does what it is designed to do. I dont know why people buy washers with 2000 settings on it. you wanna wash clothes, not launch the space shuttle.

Whirlpool is my second choice and when I say "Whirlpool" I mean their whole line (Roper, Whirlpool, Kenmore and Kitchen Aid)
Top Top