Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/20/2005 1:10:22 PM EDT
I was talking specifics with my mutual fund broker, and some of my numbers raised an eyebrow.

He calculated a few numbers, and said something to the effect this would not trigger an audit.

What are some of the common audit triggers, other than the generic  “discriminate index function” that tax sites talk about without giving concrete examples?

I am a middle wage earner in a non-tipping industry with a mortgage and (1) mrs.  
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:13:12 PM EDT
[#1]
You realize that in addition to the ATF, FBI and NSA, the IRS also monitors this forum.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:15:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I think significant "home business" deductions are a red flag that can contribute to the likelihood of an audit.

There's a guy in my field who I know peripherally (was the significant other of a good friend of mine), who would get audited EVERY year because he had lots of different creative deductions, and paid pretty much no income tax.  He never got fined or penalized in any way, but he would get audited every year.
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 1:19:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Just W-2s, 1099s, and mortgages here...nothing to hide...it's all on record...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top