Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2004 1:48:48 PM EDT
Been looking at a new tool chest (prospective A&P mechanic) and was wondering what everyone here uses.  I'm looking at a Snap On chest but I've seen quite a few MACs here in the maintenance hanger at GFK.  
Anyone know the difference between Snap On's KRL and KRA series?  
All comments and suggestions are welcome!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:59:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I have 4 "Kennedy" brand boxes I keep my tools in...Krinkle Brown finish because I dont like red.............I do have a cheapo "Wal-Mart box I keep on a small roll away card  for the normal daily break downs.......I keep a small socket set ,wrench set ,screw drivers,Adjustables, A hammer and a few other things..My Kennedy's have all the bigger stuff.large socket sets, torq wrench  tap & die set, and a lot of the more expensive tools and tons of other tools..............I think it all comes down to personal preferance....the guys in the Tool Room have mostly either Kennedy's or the more expensive wooden tool chest that are very nice but way to many bucks for a wrench turner!!!
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Kennedy roll around at work, craftsman rollaround at home. Both are great.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:07:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:09:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Craftsman roll-around and chest with ball bearing drawers.

I like it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:10:21 PM EDT
[#5]
11 drawer Kennedy that sits atop of a two draw Kennedy.  They're just for gunsmithing tools.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:24:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Snap On at work, Craftsman at home.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:27:11 PM EDT
[#7]
El Cheapo Craftsmen tool box. Not the rolly kind, just the box.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:27:52 PM EDT
[#8]
At work and at home they are all Craftsman. I have less than $1000 tied up in the boxes and don't care if they get scratched.

If you are going to buy Snap On, do not finance it for 21 percent interest on the truck throgh Snap On Credit. Go get a bank loan if you can and pay 10 percent to the bank.  

If you go onto a Snap On truck with cash in hand you will likely get a better deal anyway. Remember the dealers mark the tools and boxes up 30 to 50 percent.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:30:16 PM EDT
[#9]
I have 2 big Craftsman roll-arounds in the garage, and a big Craftsman chest (top half of roll cab) in the gun room. If I were going to be a pro mechanic, I might go with Snap On or Mac, but for home use the Craftsman stuff is almost overkill.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:35:23 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you go onto a Snap On truck with cash in hand you will likely get a better deal anyway. Remember the dealers mark the tools and boxes up 30 to 50 percent.

My cousin is a Snap-On truck guy, and he says the normal mark-up is 10-20%.

Mac box, this was before my cuz became a Snap-On distributor.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#11]
I have been to the tool box factory in Waterloo, IA.  It is where every brand of tool box in this country has at least some models made.

In the shipping office, they have a bulletin board with the name plates stuck on it.

Craftsman
Snap-On
Waterloo
Mac
Matco
Stack-On

They are all the same shit.

Shop for one that's configured with the drawer layout you like, and the thickness of the metal used.

I have Craftsman, and have had for years, back to when I was a trailer mechanic.  
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 2:50:11 PM EDT
[#12]
The diff between the KRA & KRL used to be roller bearing draw slides and Metal gauge , but I'm pretty sure its just metal gauge now .

Another consideration is trade in value , since tools are addictive and you will
out grow you box , The big three ( Snappy , Mac , Matco ) hold their value .
In fact I've had them gain value in my typical 18 month turn around .

Eventually you will reach the top and then its just a color change to
keep feeding the habbit

If you have 10 feet of wall space and a forklift , I'll sell you this one . Since I have a Cat Yellow with black handles on order right now

Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:34:13 PM EDT
[#13]
the current KRL series rolls on much better roller bearing drawer slides. That said I have a KRA series, and the ball bearing slides are the weak link. I used to have a KRA series that did have roller slides, before they changed the designations.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:38:28 PM EDT
[#14]
One (1) Snap On, one (1) Gray. Overall, I prefer the Gray.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 4:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My cousin is a Snap-On truck guy, and he says the normal mark-up is 10-20%.

Mac box, this was before my cuz became a Snap-On distributor.

it seems almost all tool companies have one hell of a mark up...more than just 10-20%

they offer great deals to students in vocational programs...auto and aviation. almost more than 60% sometimes. and they still have to make money doing it or they wouldn't bother with that kind of deal.

the tool business is the place to be.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 6:29:04 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Snap On at work, Craftsman at home.

Ditto.

AB
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 7:30:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Bump
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top