Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/3/2004 11:41:32 AM EDT
Anyone here keep snakes as pets?   I have a couple that I caught in the yard.  They are about .223 in diameter, and 9" long.  Don't know what kind yet.

I have already put beatles, spiders, ants, and a small fish in with them, but so far, no interest.

Any advice?  (besides "kill them all")
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#1]
feed them baby mice
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:42:10 AM EDT
[#2]

Cyanide
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Little Anoles.

Snakes eat when they want, not very often, and not just because food is present.  In fact live food may be stressing tham out causing them not to eat.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:44:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Depends on what they are. If the adults of their species eat bugs and worms, feed bugs and worms. If adults eat mice, feed pinkie (hairless baby) mice.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:44:42 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
feed them baby mice

"Beth's mom said they raided the boy's locker room and found feces everywhere."
"What are feces?"
"Baby mice."
"Awwww!"
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Feeder Goldfish

Samuel
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:48:32 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Anyone here keep snakes as pets?   I have a couple that I caught in the yard.  They are about .223 in diameter, and 9" long.  Don't know what kind yet.

I have already put beatles, spiders, ants, and a small fish in with them, but so far, no interest.

Any advice?  (besides "kill them all")

Herptology is my hobby and I have 9 snakes of various types.  Do you know why type of snake it is?  Color?  Pattern?  Where do you live in CO?  Could you post some pictures of the snake?  I need to know what type of snake it is before I can tell you what to feed it.

Very few snakes eat beatles, spiders, ants, or other exoskeletal insects, etc...  And I would get the spiders out of the enclosure you are keeping the snake in ASAP.  A spider bite can be deadly to a small snake of this size.

Being that you found them in your yard and they are small, they could be some type of Green snake or Brown snake (Dekay's Snake), or Garter Snake.  But I need you to tell me more before I can tell you what to do.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 11:49:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Lead snake shot
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:39:51 PM EDT
[#9]
what kind are they. Hognose like toads., garter snakes like earthworms, water snakes like goldfish/guppies, rat snakes like pinies (baby mice).
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 12:41:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Feed them young, tender liberals.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:05:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
feed them baby mice

yeah you go to the pet store and ask for "pinkys".  Sometimes you have to force feed them.  Squeeze the sides of it's head with one hand. When it opens it's mouth gently shove the "pinky" down its throat with a pen.
Link Posted: 9/3/2004 2:55:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

yeah you go to the pet store and ask for "pinkys".  Sometimes you have to force feed them.  Squeeze the sides of it's head with one hand. When it opens it's mouth gently shove the "pinky" down its throat with a pen.

Quit telling this guy to go out and get mice when you don't know what kind of snake he has.

A snake this size does not have to be force fed until it has refused to eat for a month and it is getting noticably skinny.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top