Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/27/2015 2:59:50 PM EDT
Hello ll. Not a Mason, no one left in  family who is a Mason. I am in possession of my Grandfather's Saber and other ribbons etc. Was wondering if it would be okay to give that stuff to my best friend who is a Mason. Thoughts please. TIA.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 4:31:07 PM EDT
[#1]
In my opinion there would be no harm in keeping them yourself. If there were any family member to join in the future I am sure they would be honored to receive them.  If if they leave the family they could become lost forever. Any mason would also be honored to have them as well. Especially a friend who may possibly have known your grandfather. My masonic heirlooms will go to my son one day if it is appropriate.  If it is never appropriate they will go to my lodge to be given to the next man to be raised. I have old things that once belonged to other men. I am just keeping them for now. Later others can take care of them in turn. Thank you for wanting to let them be with another Mason. Your grandfather would approve. I am sure of that.
Link Posted: 12/27/2015 8:57:45 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

In my opinion there would be no harm in keeping them yourself. If there were any family member to join in the future I am sure they would be honored to receive them.  If if they leave the family they could become lost forever. Any mason would also be honored to have them as well. Especially a friend who may possibly have known your grandfather. My masonic heirlooms will go to my son one day if it is appropriate.  If it is never appropriate they will go to my lodge to be given to the next man to be raised. I have old things that once belonged to other men. I am just keeping them for now. Later others can take care of them in turn. Thank you for wanting to let them be with another Mason. Your grandfather would approve. I am sure of that.
View Quote
Yes,  we are just the caretakers for such heirlooms. Contact his home lodge and see if they would be willing to accept the items until such time one of his kinfolk join.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:54:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Hello ll. Not a Mason, no one left in  family who is a Mason. I am in possession of my Grandfather's Saber and other ribbons etc. Was wondering if it would be okay to give that stuff to my best friend who is a Mason. Thoughts please. TIA.
View Quote

If you don't mind the items passing out of your family, there is nothing wrong with giving them to a Masonic friend.  That being said, some future member of your family may value them greatly.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 3:14:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

If you don't mind the items passing out of your family, there is nothing wrong with giving them to a Masonic friend.  That being said, some future member of your family may value them greatly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

There is no real likelihood of a future family member..........but issue has been settled. Best friend who is a Mason is coming to visit in the spring. He will be the caretaker going forward. Thanks to all of your responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top