Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/17/2002 12:00:45 PM EDT
Among a lot of things I inherited when my stepdad died is a 1979 KZ400 Kawasaki.

The thing was put in storage only a couple of months after he bought it, and is pretty much pristine with 1100 miles on the odometer. Carb rebuild, battery and a new set of tires is pretty much all that's needed. I even still have the original manual and toolkit under the seat.

Two problems. It's too small for my purposes,  (I ride something a lot bigger) and I don't have title to it.

I can get a title, but in Texas the process is a royal pain in the butt.  I was thinking of trading it for a small aluminum boat or kayak, or parting it out.

Do you guys think this is likely?  How much of a demand is there for old Kawasaki parts?  Is it possible to just outright sell it and let someone else file for a  salvage title?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:20:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Man, thats a bitch about the title. If it is really pristine, you could sell the parts(tank, side covers, fenders etc...) easily. I however would rather see it kept whole. Someone out there appreciates the KZ's and would love to have a complete specimen. Heck, some kid would probably use it in college. How much do you want for it?
Scott
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:25:16 PM EDT
[#2]
One other possibility. If you really don't care about it, put some off road tires on it. Use it like an enduro. Or as a SHTF escape vehicle.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:52:23 PM EDT
[#3]
Many states do not require a title for vehicles over 10 or 15 years old. Are you sure you need one?

This is a great beginner bike. You might want to contact the local branch of the Motorcycle Safety Foundation (http://www.msf-usa.org/pages/MAIN1.html) and see if they have a bulletin board or something to offer it for sale to new riders?
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 12:55:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I'd just like to trade it,  I see this as way to put a small fishing boat in the back of the truck.  My guess on sales price would be around 400$.

It's not usable as a off road bike, It would make a good bike to mount on the back of the camper if I didn't already have the BMW.

I don't really plan or spend money for SHTF scenarios anyway.
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:02:49 PM EDT
[#5]
How long ago did you inherit it?  Was it named as being left to you, or was it just an asset?  If it was named and the estate has not yet closed, the executor may be able to acquire a new title with his power of attorney.

Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:13:59 PM EDT
[#6]
Sell it to some poor college student...
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Inherited it back in October,  along with 4 large canvas cabin tents, enough old fishing poles to line all three walls of the garage, a pile of old 16 ga. birdshot shells that fills 3 laundry baskets, about 20 Coleman lanterns and camp stoves, 8 trashbags of old duck decoys, air fiters and parts from cars he sold 20 years ago, you get the idea. He was a heck of an outdoorsman and packrat.  
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 1:32:59 PM EDT
[#8]
let's shoot the ugly thing!

[img]http://members.cox.net/aestheticdesign/images/kz4001.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
DAMMIT!
Wish I lived closer to Texas! I love Old KZ's!
I'd buy it from You on the spot....Damn!,Damn!,Damn!

Figures!

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 7/17/2002 3:53:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Nice old bike , I rode one once. Do a google search for Kawasaki clubs/boards and post it for sale.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top