Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2005 11:33:31 AM EDT
Looks like we will be visting Tampa soon.

Any must see or do's? We will have a day to burn.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:34:43 AM EDT
[#1]
go hang out with SteyrAUG and his ninja clan?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#2]
You doing the AFCEA show this week?

I'll be there in Tampa
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:36:48 AM EDT
[#3]
Head east on I-4 for 45 miles and visit me?  
Actually, Busch Gardens is nice if you have the time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:37:12 AM EDT
[#4]
2 girls, at the same time.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:38:23 AM EDT
[#5]
steyer aug is on the other coast.

go to bush gardens, if you are with family. if not, lots of good titty bars. go rent a boat and go exploring in the gulf, look up panzerboy rjsteel and die tryin in st pete
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:39:20 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
2 girls, at the same time.

thats easy, much better is a mom/daughter team
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:42:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I grew up in Tampa.

You might want to take a drive along Bayshore Blvd and the Hyde Park area. A lot of beautiful homes there.

Maybe check out the HB Plant Muesum at the University of Tampa.

Hit Ybor City in the evening...it's like a mini Bourbon Street.

I hear the aquarium is pretty cool...haven't been myself.

I wouldn't say there are must sees or dos.....except Mons Venus

Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:44:24 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You doing the AFCEA show this week?

I'll be there in Tampa

SEPC show.

I'll actually have about 6 hours or so one day.

Need to take the wife out to dinner one night.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want to all-out for dinner, then take the wife to Bern's (www.bernssteakhouse.com) or The Columbia (www.columbiarestaurant.com/ybor.asp)

(The Columbia is a little more affordable than Bern's...you can get great steak in many cities....The Columbia is unique)
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 11:51:14 AM EDT
[#10]
Bern's Stakehouse

You will not be disappointed!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 12:20:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Yep, Bern's.  Get dessert as well.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 1:46:28 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Yep, Bern's.  Get dessert as well.

Yes, they have these cool dessert rooms upstairs... Also, a HUGE wine list, looks like the NYC phone book...

Also, Ybor City for night life action, and if with a bunch of guys, Mons Venus (tittie-bar) on Dale Mabry, near Raymond James Stadium...  (Used to live in Hyde Park, about 1/10 of a mile from Berns Steakhouse).
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 1:55:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Hooters!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 2:11:46 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Hit Ybor City in the evening...it's like a mini Bourbon Street.

+1 . Stare in amazement as you see a cowboy line dance club on the left side of the street and a goth punk one on the right .

I wouldn't say there are must sees or dos.....except Mons Venus

Link Posted: 3/5/2005 2:46:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Visit the original Hooters.  Buy the lovely Mrs. a shirt.....and post pics
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#16]
If you are a beach person , go to Ft Desoto beaches there. One of the top rated beaches in the USA. Get any map or ask anyone there and they can tell you where it is. Take I275 south and get off at the Ft Desoto exit. It is just before you cross over the Skyway Bridge on the southern tip of Pinellas Co. It is a must see!  I lived there for 6yrs. and went almost every weekend. You can rent bikes, canoes or kayaks and really see the place. Enjoy!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:02:03 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
If you are a beach person , go to Ft Desoto beaches there. One of the top rated beaches in the USA. Get any map or ask anyone there and they can tell you where it is. Take I275 south and get off at the Ft Desoto exit. It is just before you cross over the Skyway Bridge on the southern tip of Pinellas Co. It is a must see!  I lived there for 6yrs. and went almost every weekend. You can rent bikes, canoes or kayaks and really see the place. Enjoy!!!

+5

I used to cruise over there in my boat, some of the best boating (from St. Pete south to Cabbage Key)  in the USA, IMHO...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:02:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I am out of line, but......Mons Venus.  (did I get it right?)

Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:05:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Mons Venus (The Mons to most locals) is a world class strip club in South Tampa...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

The Hooters across the street from a hospital?

She has a shirt from there.

This place?

Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:35:41 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Mons Venus (The Mons to most locals) is a world class strip club in South Tampa...

No, the first Hooters is on Gulf-to-Bay, between Tampa and Clearwater....

Also, the first Outback started in Tampa as well, on Henderson Blvd. in South Tampa...

ETA: Sorry, quoted wrong post, meant to post the one directly above...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:46:44 PM EDT
[#22]
If you decide to go to Bern's please PM me.  My son is a wine stewart at the restaurant.  It has the largest wine celler in the world.  My son can give you a tour.  
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:47:05 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

The Hooters across the street from a hospital?

She has a shirt from there.

This place?
img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/Bamashooter/MVC-669F.jpg

That sounds like the one on Bruce B. Downs Blvd across from University Hospital (next to University of South Florida).

Busch Gardens is never a disappointment.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:54:27 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
If you decide to go to Bern's please PM me.  My son is a wine stewart at the restaurant.  It has the largest wine celler in the world.  My son can give you a tour.  

Yes, I forgot to add that.. There is this large building next to Berns, this is the wine cellar

Also, if you order fish, you used to be able to go into the kitchen and pick the 'live' fish swimming in a tank, for dinner, not sure if they still do that or not... And, they used to have their own farm to grow their vegetables...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 3:58:10 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

How far in advance do would I need to make reservation for a Friday night?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:06:49 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How far in advance do would I need to make reservation for a Friday night?

Don't be turned off by the gawdy, flop house interior (maybe they remodeled since late '90s?)... This place is world class all the way, you will drop some $$$, but people really do come to Bern's from all over the world...

The red (or is it black) jacketed waiters have been there years, the other color jackets are still in 2+ years of training, have to know all about the wines on the list, some make a verrrry comfortable living working there, some have been 20+ years there...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Go to Hugo's on the corner of Morrison and Howard for the best $3.50 you'll ever spend in your life. Black beans and yellow rice or a Cuban sandwich (hot pressed, all the way) make a great lunch.

La Teresita is damned good too. Ropa Vieja is outstanding, and wash it down wit a cafe con leche. Again, $3.50 or so.

Bern's is good, but the quality has been slipping since old man Bern Laxer died a few years ago. Go to SideBurns - which is right next door - for some really good food for a little less money.

Ybor City is OK, but I think it's the ghey because it's over the top commercialized.

Go to the HUB in downtown Tampa for the stiffest drink in the Southeast and a very interesting crowd. Four Green Fields is a great Irish Pub right outside of downtown and is always good for some Black Bush and a Guiness or six.

I grew up in Tampa and love going to visit. Lots of fun stuff to do there.

PS - NoVaGator - I'm UF class of '92. COME ON GATORS, GET UP AND GO!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:12:52 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:
Go to Hugo's on the corner of Morrison and Howard for the best $3.50 you'll ever spend in your life. Black beans and yellow rice or a Cuban sandwich (hot pressed, all the way) make a great lunch.

La Teresita is damned good too. Ropa Vieja is outstanding, and wash it down wit a cafe con leche. Again, $3.50 or so.

Bern's is good, but the quality has been slipping since old man Bern Laxer died a few years ago. Go to SideBurns - which is right next door - for some really good food for a little less money.

Ybor City is OK, but I think it's the ghey because it's over the top commercialized.

Go to the HUB in downtown Tampa for the stiffest drink in the Southeast and a very interesting crowd. Four Green Fields is a great Irish Pub right outside of downtown and is always good for some Black Bush and a Guiness or six.

+1 all good advice...

Forgot about Hugos, best cuban samwich in the world...

Four Green Fields is good too... Man, I miss South Tampa...

ETA: Don't forget about the 'Old Meeting House" for breakfast near Hugos...
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:19:10 PM EDT
[#29]
+1,000,000  on Bern's     MMMMMMMMM chateaubriandMMMMMMMM
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:27:02 PM EDT
[#30]
Don't bother with Ybor!  I've been there twice.  Once before they "improved" it, and once after.  It was better before.  The tacky atmosphere and the old buildings was cool.  Kind of like Beal St. in Memhis or Water St. in Milwaukee.  Now it's like just another shopping mall.  When I was in Tampa last winter there was an article in the local paper about the big drop in traffic in Ybor.  There's lots better places to go for shopping.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 4:52:32 PM EDT
[#31]
Dude, go to the Waffle House at Westshore and 275. It is EXACTLY like the one in Amarillo.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:11:56 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
Dude, go to the Waffle House at Westshore and 275. It is EXACTLY like the one in Amarillo.

No way.

Kind of like Tin Cup?
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 6:16:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Good info everyone. I'm moving there really soon to start a new job.
Link Posted: 3/5/2005 7:10:53 PM EDT
[#34]
Swing by the Salvador Dali museum in St Pete.

See this in full size:

Link Posted: 3/6/2005 10:11:55 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Don't bother with Ybor!  I've been there twice.  Once before they "improved" it, and once after.  It was better before.  The tacky atmosphere and the old buildings was cool.  Kind of like Beal St. in Memhis or Water St. in Milwaukee.  Now it's like just another shopping mall.  When I was in Tampa last winter there was an article in the local paper about the big drop in traffic in Ybor.  There's lots better places to go for shopping.

The only thing I ever shopped in Ybor for was chicky snacks .
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 10:14:19 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Looks like we will be visting Tampa soon.

Any must see or do's? We will have a day to burn.

Come to my place...we'll throw some steaks on the grill and drink beers...
Link Posted: 3/6/2005 10:46:58 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Graduated in Dec 92. Loooking forward to the season. Probably coming down for the O&B game next month.

All good Tampa recs there. Don't forget Alessi's on Cypress.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 9:17:42 AM EDT
[#38]
Thanks for all the suggestions.

A couple of friends did go to Berns and raved about the place.

I only ended up with about 4 hours to play with on Saturday.
The Mrs and I went Ybor City and had lunch at the Green Iguana.
Great food and service!

Stayed near the Convention Center.

Link Posted: 3/14/2005 1:00:21 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I work in the SunTrust building right across the street (with the gold-tinted windows).  Go there for breakfast now and then.
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:36:52 PM EDT
[#40]
+1 on the Sali Museum in St. Pete.  The Gulf beaches on the islands west of St. Pete are also  very nice.

Any other suggestions for restaurants around Tampa?  I remember going to a really nice one (north of Tampa?) with a huge outdoor garden about 25 years ago.

GunLvr
Link Posted: 3/14/2005 7:51:37 PM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
snip

Ohh, I'm a Brahman, graduated USF in 1986. We had no football team, and had to rely on OUR GATORS to provide the fun and games.

"Come on, Gators, GET UP AND GO!"
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

Ohh, I'm a Brahman, graduated USF in 1986. We had no football team, and had to rely on OUR GATORS to provide the fun and games.

Hey!  I graduated from USF in 1986, too!  BET.
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:50:59 AM EDT
[#43]
Midullas Restaurant, 2903 N Armenia Ave

Best Crab roll's in town bar none!  All the 'dignitaries' eat there.

Oh... and while your there, get some of Toms homemade sausage!  Yummm...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:52:52 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

My parents live in Temple Terrace...
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:54:52 AM EDT
[#45]
Mons Venus...one of the best strip clubs in the US.  
Link Posted: 3/15/2005 10:56:19 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Bern's Stakehouse

You will not be disappointed!

+1000

Berns is the best.  If you cannot get in for dinner, eat a light dinner somewhere else and go in for dessert only.  They have a 200+ page dessert and cigar menu.  One of the best dining spots in the country.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:50:14 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

As do I.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:01:00 AM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

As do I.

Teresa Arbor
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:05:23 AM EDT
[#49]
The Mons
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:40:39 AM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
snip

As do I.

Teresa Arbor

I'm on the other side of the Hillsborough River.  All the streets in my little 'hood are named after fish, so the locals in the area call it the Fishbowl.  Tell any local business that you live in the Fishbowl and they don't need directions.  I've been there almost 15 years now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top