Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/3/2007 8:16:08 PM EDT
What is the proper procedure to deal with a stolen firearm? My mother had her Glock 17 stolen from her home in the state of Washington today by some carpet repair/cleaning people. She had the firearm hidden but not locked in a safe. I was wondering who to call first. She doesn't remember the serial number off hand and she may have to dig though a lot of boxes to find the paperwork for the gun. Can you call the BATFE to retrieve a serial number? Should she report it stolen to the BATFE or just the state/local police? What's the process for dealing with the carpet company if she knows the names of the men who went rummaging through her stuff?

Any help would be appreciated. Personal property thieves are f'ing savages, absolute scum...
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:17:57 PM EDT
Call the popo. While they come look for the serial number.

With any luck thief will be apprehended and weapon will be confiscated. Probably won't be able to get it back anytime soon.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:22:35 PM EDT
Call the cops & then call where she bought it from to get the serial #. Good luck getting it back.

Mike
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:24:26 PM EDT
I had two guns stolen last month, and only had the serial # of the cheaper one available.

It will turn up again and will be returned to me probably in the next couple of years.

But my hot-rodded tacticool shotgun is gone forever. The cops came and dusted for prints, took my info, but had no suggestions for tracking down the serial # of my shotgun.

Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:28:28 PM EDT
The gun store she bought it from (Mandalls in Scottsdale, AZ) has since gone under (they were a pretty bad shop anyway). So if she can't find the serial number I guess she's SOL... yeah?
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:29:25 PM EDT
cops
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:30:31 PM EDT
I tell people to write down the serial numbers of their guns. It might save you a lot of trouble.

I put down the make, model, date of purchase, any discerning marking/custom mods, and the serial number.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:40:39 PM EDT
Thanks for the help and advice guys. When I talked to her, I told her to call the police and file a report, but I figured they would need the serial number if they were to do anything worthwhile. I guess all you can do is sit back and hope for the best. It just pisses me off that there are people out there that would do that kind of thing... it's disappointing and frustrating.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:44:31 PM EDT
Not a gun story but I lent my expensive Fluke DMM to a friend and the cleaner dudes stole it from his house. When he contacted the Company president they cought the guy and bought me a brand new one that I got to select so I picked the upgraded one and they bought it and gave it to my friend who gave it back to me.

This was in South of Pittsburgh, PA

Guns need the police involved right away be sure they would track it to your mom if it was used in a crime that got busted.
Link Posted: 12/3/2007 8:46:26 PM EDT
I would call the owner of the carpet cleaning business and advise him that one of his employees stole the Glock.

Let him know that unless he wants the legal status and background of every employee checked by the police, he has by the end of the week to either return the weapon or reimburse your mother for the price of the gun, plus tax.

I guarantee he does not want his stellar band of losers being checked out by the cops and force him to interview and hire replacements.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:51:16 AM EDT
Here in PA the Demos in Philadelphia want to make it a crime to NOT report stolen or lost firearms.

It seems there is a brisk illegal trade in legal firearms being transferrer to illegal purchasers. When the firearm turns up in a crime and is traced back to the original owner, he simply tells the police that it was "stolen a while back".

Hopefully this new reporting law will go nowhere. It never occurs to the Libs that even with a reporting law, all a perpetrator of an illegal weapon's transfer has to do is report the firearm he just illegally sold as stolen. Maybe the cost of selling guns illegally will go up a little bit to compensate the creeps for their added trouble of making up a phony police report, but it won't stop any of the illegal sales.

But more to your point. It really IS a good idea to keep a list of all the serial numbers of your weapons. I have several duplicate lists stored in my computer and hard copies elsewhere in secure locations.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:57:19 AM EDT
If store out of business batf has the records.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:57:41 AM EDT
Write down your serial numbers from now on. There is no database from which to pull your numbers from. And FFLs are under no obligation to you to look up your serial number for you.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 4:07:13 AM EDT
local police.
if you have the serial number great, if not, do a little research (call teh gun store where you bought it)
If not, they'll track it back (BATFE)
But, when it gets recovered (if)
DO NOT LET THE FUCKING FEDS TAKE OVER PROSECUTION.

I'm now at 13 months since my guns have been recovered and the fucking Feds still won't let them go. Although once they tried to release them for sale at auction. Fuckers. Local police usually just take a picture, take down data and hand them back.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:47:21 AM EDT
Report it to the local LE agency responsible for where she lives. When the gun is recovered, the ATF trace will list her as the last owner and she will be talking to an agent about why the gun was located on a criminal. Better to have a report handy than just stating that the gun was stolen.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:52:01 AM EDT
1.) setup an excel spreadsheet with make, model, caliber, action and serial number for each firearm.
2.) encrypt it if you're paranoid.
3.) e-mail it to yourself.

If you have it in your online e-mail account (think hotmail, gmail, etc. rather than outlook express), you can access it if your house was hit by a large meteor while you are on vacation.

you'll never lose it that way.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 6:57:59 AM EDT
Local PD should be able to recover her pistol since she knows who took it. If she doesn't have the serial number the PD can find out what it is.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:58:45 AM EDT
Thanks for all the input guys, it's truly appreciated. She's going to file a report asap, so hopefully this will get resolved soon.
Top Top