Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2006 10:30:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 11/2/2006 10:38:47 AM EST by Fletchette]
We all know that IEDs are the number one concern to our troops in Iraq and Afganistan. Up-armoring can help, but the insurgents can always up their explosive charge. Even the M1 Abrams is vulnerable to a buried 155. How do we counter IEDs?

In WW2 we tried stuff like having Shermans pushing big rollers to detonate mines without causualty. Is there a similar solution to IEDs?

Many IEDs are detonated by cell phones. I know many posh restaurants, operas and orchastras now use off the shelf cell phone jammers to prevent receiving of phone calls - couldn't this tactic be used by our troops to prevent detonation of IEDs?

Any other ideas?
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:41:16 AM EST
I think they currently use that cell phone blocker technology don't they?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ULTRA_AP

Our military does a good job of learning from past wars. You can bet the Pentegon is working on a whole host of new technologies for urban jungle warfare. New sensors, better armor, ect. The next war will be different. Want to help? Up your defense contractor share in your 401(k) plan.

Link Posted: 11/2/2006 10:42:12 AM EST
I think you are going to find that few will want to comment on this. Anything to do with IED's is sensitive, if not classified. I'm sure you've seen plenty of folks scream "OPSEC!" on this forum in the past when someone starts giving details about something.
Top Top