Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2012 10:35:39 AM EDT
Short story is i bought my wife a certified pre-owned grand cherokee and got an extended warranty on it also.

Its got gremlins.  

It stalled on me on the highway at 65 miles an hour, turned it off and it came right back on.
Some times randomly the entire electrical system goes dead, then returns to life 15 minuts later for no apparent reason.
It died one time at 40 miles an hour, and all power stayed dead for almost an hour while i was 3 hours from home and in the land of no cell reception.

The dealership says they find nothing wrong with it.

What do i do?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:37:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep taking it back to document the problems.  Pain in the ass but that's what you've got to do.

What year model?  If it's a late model the damn thing should be throwing OBD codes in the PCM.

CMOS
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:38:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Park it in a bad neighborhood with the doors unlocked and the keys in the ignition.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:38:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Keep taking it back to document the problems.  Pain in the ass but that's what you've got to do.

What year model?  If it's a late model the damn thing should be throwing OBD codes in the PCM.

CMOS

Its a 2007 with 50k miles on it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:41:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Well now you know why it was traded in. You can start with the jeep forums, probably someone has had the exact same problem and can offer some help. Also you can have the dealership drive it until it happens to them.
The dealership can't find anything wrong? Are there codes in the computer or not. I would think that something would show up in the computer.
When the vehicle dies, do you have power of any kind or is it like you unbolted the battery. If you have no power at all you may have a bad ground, you can check the ground cable to the frame or the next time it happens use your jumper cables to ground the neg side of the battery to the engine or frame to see if it will start.
Also check the battery cables, I know it sounds simple but dealerships have missed this before. Check the inside of the cable clamps for corrison and both grouind and positive to see that the cables are in good condition and making a good connection.
Good luck
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:45:31 AM EDT
[#5]
My guess is a bad ground, those can be hard to find and most shops do not want to spend the time on it. If you want to take stab at it yourself I would first locate the engine computer/PCM and look for ground wires (usually green) attached around it, make sure these are fastened securely to the frame and that the wires are intact, then start looking along the main harness that comes out of the computer and just look for any lose wires or ground screws, finally look for any aftermarket equipment (lights, stereo, etc) that might have been removed and the wiring not properly removed.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:46:21 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Short story is i bought my wife a certified pre-owned grand cherokee and got an extended warranty on it also.

Its got gremlins.  

It stalled on me on the highway at 65 miles an hour, turned it off and it came right back on.
Some times randomly the entire electrical system goes dead, then returns to life 15 minuts later for no apparent reason.
It died one time at 40 miles an hour, and all power stayed dead for almost an hour while i was 3 hours from home and in the land of no cell reception.

The dealership says they find nothing wrong with it.

What do i do?

I think that's pretty standard with a Chrysler product.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:47:15 AM EDT
[#7]
TIPM - Total Intergrated Power Module

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:49:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
my guess is a bad ground, those can be hard to find and most shops do not want to spend the time on it. If you want to take stab at it yourself I would first locate the engine computer/PCM and look for ground wires (usually green) attached around it, make sure these are fastened securely to the frame and that the wires are intact, then start looking along the main harness that comes out of the computer and just look for any lose wires or ground screws, finally look for any aftermarket equipment (lights, stereo, etc) that might have been removed and the wiring not properly removed.

That might be why the dealership "cant" find anything wrong. It will take to long to pinpoint the problem if it is a bad ground.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 10:59:06 AM EDT
[#9]
Will be a pain in the ass but take it in every time there is a problem or until they find and fix the problem.

Bitch to all holy hell that the car is going to kill someone and very well could with loss of electrical at highway speed.

Not sure about your state laws and if they apply to used vehicles but look into the lemon laws around your parts. Check into what is covered under the pre-owned cert. Read the fine print on the extended warranty. X amount of unresolved trips to the mechanic and such.

Bitch, bitch, bitch until it is fixed or they get you a car that works..
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:04:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

That might be why the dealership "cant" find anything wrong. It will take to long to pinpoint the problem if it is a bad ground.

"Can't" seems to mean that its not throwing any codes and they have no idea how to do anything but plug it in and read what the scan tool says.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:06:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Some times randomly the entire electrical system goes dead, then returns to life 15 minuts later for no apparent reason

Check the battery cables and attachment for tightness or breaks.

Modern alternators do not function without a battery connected, and a break in the line from alternator to battery does a huge load dump, with very high voltages that can damage all sorts of things (IIRC 120 V surges).
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:10:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

"Can't" seems to mean that its not throwing any codes and they have no idea how to do anything but plug it in and read what the scan tool says.

Some fairly good infor here.

What kind of warranty?

Some aftermarket warranty will shut off the repair facility without too much time to diagnose.

As for the dealership, I am sitting in one right now, and can't find a problem never gets us out of a situation.

Sit down with service, your salesman, and possibly the owner, and let them know that maybe you CAN'T keep the vehicle.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:15:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:22:37 AM EDT
[#14]
I know for a fact that there are several lengthy threads in the "WK Grand" section of Jeepforum with people that have had this exact problem.  Might do some searching there.
(appologies if you are one of the people with the threads)
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 11:44:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Will be a pain in the ass but take it in every time there is a problem or until they find and fix the problem.

Bitch to all holy hell that the car is going to kill someone and very well could with loss of electrical at highway speed.

Not sure about your state laws and if they apply to used vehicles but look into the lemon laws around your parts. Check into what is covered under the pre-owned cert. Read the fine print on the extended warranty. X amount of unresolved trips to the mechanic and such.

Bitch, bitch, bitch until it is fixed or they get you a car that works..

No..... this is not how you get a mystery problem fixed.

As angry as you think you can get, I guarantee that the Service Advisors have seen worse.  Life is a lot easier if you stay cool, and make them want to help you.

The key to getting this fixed is "Can I leave the vehicle with you for a few days, so you can have your shop foreman drive it home and see if it happens to him?"  They won't say no, and that is really what needs to be done.........for them to discover that it needs a TIPM anyways....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 12:59:35 PM EDT
[#16]
They had the jeep for 2 days now.  

I just got off the phone with them, they tried to tell me i would have to pay a diagnostic fee.

I may wind up burning the fucking thing up while its inside the dealership

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
How long ago did you buy it?

3 times for the same problem qualifies for the lemon law.

Look into that, they may have to give you a refund.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:25:05 PM EDT
[#18]
"certified pre owned"

You mean you couldn't tell it was used?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:29:24 PM EDT
[#19]
Ask to trade it back for what you got in it on a different vehicle on the lot and you'll drop your complaint..

I know some of that situation and it seems I never really trust that vehicle again.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:31:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Document Everything!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top