Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/30/2005 5:58:24 PM EDT
I've been a Federal LEO for 12 years. I used to love my job, worked 60+ hours a week for all of my years until recently. The legacy agency I was from had its issues and problems but ever since the reorgainzation of the gov't two years ago its been a living nightmare with the new Agency I was transferred to . The new Agency is in shambles, not only is our local field office very bad, HQ is the same way. (some offices throughout the country are even worse off). Locally two of our Agents have quit, I've heard of others quitting thoughout the country as well. I have close friends that thought at the time they were making good choices for their career by going to HQ but now regret it and hate life.

At my office all the Agents are very tired and upset over the way things are going. Were not doing our jobs, were not allowed to work interesting cases that are our jurisdicition, instead were doing cases that another agency in another department should be doing. Were not allowed to generate our own cases. New rookies that have recently came onboard in the last two years are already looking to leave to local PD's or FD's just to get out. Our management has made it very clear that they dont care, dont want to hear our issues, and are not their to support the Agents or case work.

Do I hang on and ride the wave, Do I leave and go to a local department? How bad was it for the guys of the DEA when they were created? What do I do?

one stressed leo
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 6:20:11 PM EDT
Brother, I hear you. Only you can make those decisions, search your sole and seek advice from your family. Local agencies are allways looking for outstanding former fed guys also.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 8:57:05 PM EDT
I work at a large station and we lost a lot of guys during the shake up. I saw many good friends leave. You have a bit of time invested at 12 years in. Maybe hanging tough for another 8 years so you have your 20 for retirement before you shift careers.

Before you jump ship, make sure you check into the other agency. The grass isn't always greener and most agencies have BS policies set in place to hinder productivity. I'm a grunt in one our newly combined agencies and have been keeping myself busy by taking TDY assignments. It gives you a fresh outlook to come back after 2 or 3 months. Sometimes it seems better and sometimes it seems worse. But I get to check out possible routes of escape and see if I like the work better at another office.

I could swap stories with the levels of stupidity that is bred around here, but it always gets me in a bad mood for days. Good luck and I hope things start to look better.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:16:40 PM EDT
Feel you pain. I'm a FLEO too and I was having a conversation about this exact thing today with a Customs Inspector in a training class today. He said that with the re-organization his job now included the duties of another agency which he has no desire to do. Seems lots of folks are looking to jump ship. Let me repeat what has already been said: The grass is NOT always greener on the other side. Every agency has its issues. Keep that in mind
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:26:06 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 12:42:41 PM EDT
Sounds like I'm in a similar agency. I was hired by INS two days before it was abolished and we became ICE after merging with part of USCS. The problem is that all of the legacy guys are whining that they liked their old duties better. The primadonna customs guys are constantly whining about having to get their hands dirty dealing with illegal aliens. The shortsighted immigration guys are constantly bitching about having to work on a counterfeit T-shirt case. Really, the legacy jobs aren't too different. Migra dealt with people and customs dealt with products.

I don't know what the solution is, I'm just tired of all the legacy whining...
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 12:39:43 AM EDT
Unfortunately local PD isn't any better. I work Indianapolis PD & we are quickly going down the tubes. Hiring freeze, not filling specialty roles (K9, narcs, etc.), no overtime & if you do you have to fill out 3 different forms on why you worked over. Lack of supervisors who care about the officers, no pay raises, talk of laying off officer because the city is broke. Of course the city managed to find enough money to build the Colts a new half billion dollar stadium, & they SUCK!

If you got that much time in I would try to stick it out. We have guys leaving left & right to go federal or to smaller departments because it's so bad. One district has lost 10 officers in the last month to other departments. I love what I do but the idiots in charge are trying destroy a great department.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 2:32:40 AM EDT
You didn't mention, but do you have any military time you could buy towards your retirement? Might make it a bit easier to stretch out to 20.

I'm not sure what your federal MOS is, but there are lots of fed LEO jobs out there, not just the normal few everyone thinks of. My buddy is a USDA inspectigator, pokes around chicken farms. maybe the grass could be greener if you went to a different pasture all together?

If not, see if you can find a local dept that will sell you your federal time. 12 years is a lot of retirement time to walk away from, especially if you have family.
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 11:45:21 PM EDT
Life is short. Find the one thing you enjoy above all others, and make it your new occupation. Experience has taught me to live every day as if its the last one...but plan to live another 100 years...if yu hate where you are, and what you are doing...its gonna be a long low haul to the end...better to enjoy every minute of it and then at the end..go sliding in sideways all beat up, worn out and out of breath screaming wooohooooo...what a ride... I hope you can find your answers...what ever they are, good luck, bro'.
Link Posted: 9/6/2005 2:18:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/6/2005 2:19:09 PM EDT by BigJ491]
I'm a FLEO as well. I'm beginning to discover that the grass is almost never greener on the other side. Every agency seems to have the same issues that the others do. What I've come to realize is that, as long as you can put up with the BS you will encounter with any agency, you will be happy, as long as you are performing a job/task that you enjoy. My career goal is protection with my agency. I know they have their issues, as do all agencies, but I'd rather stick it out and try to make a difference for as long as I can.

If you're thinking of changing. Do your homework really well, and talk to the RIGHT people. I turn a deaf ear to the old timers at my agency that have become disgruntled and try to ignore the people that only work hard enough not to get fired. It's the people that produce and have positive things to say that seem to have the most beneficial knowledge.

Also, one of the major cirteria for being happy in a job is being happy outside of work. A good family and friend support system is crutial in our field. If I didn't have a close relationship with my family and a good network of friends, the job would be a lot harder to take. Becoming the job will only serve to burn you out a hell of a lot quicker.

Good luck in your search. IM me if you want to talk specifics, as I don't want to rave about or trash agencies in open threads.
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 10:28:49 AM EDT

Originally Posted By P806:
Brother, I hear you. Only you can make those decisions, search your sole and seek advice from your family. Local agencies are allways looking for outstanding former fed guys also.

Good luck!

Why look at the bottom of his shoe?
Link Posted: 9/7/2005 3:08:39 PM EDT
Well, another Senior GS13 1811 quite today!!! He's using up his AL and is then gone! It is just so disappointing! This leaves me as the last Senior GS13 in my Group.

I'm just trying to spend my away from work time in the gym to release the stress and avoid thinking about work while off duty. At some point (hopefully soon) both the local management and Washington must realize what is going on and take corrective action.

I just got to hang in there!!
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 12:09:13 PM EDT
Well, Today I learned one of the guys in my office that everyone had been told was on annual leave is actually on administrative leave and is pending termination. I don't know what the facts/reasons are but I've always known this kid to be a good hard working individual. He's been on for about six years now, this is sad.

Like I said I dont know the facts of his pending termination but I can't imagine him doing anything that would merit removal. Just one more thing to ponder and strip away at moral here.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:02:18 PM EDT
Well, things are only getting worse!! There is no moral left in my office. Even the investigative assistant has realized that the first line supervisor in my Group is an IDIOT!!! To start off there was three Senior Agents in my Group. Management has caused one to request an immediate transfer to another Group and is now gone to that Group, one Senior has quit, leaving me the soul Senior Agent to the Group.

One of the rookies from our other office was just told he would be transferred to this Group starting in the next two weeks. The other office knows how bad things are for us here so that rookie has called up his Marine Reserve Unit and is trying to get activated anywhere just to avoid having to come to our Group.

The job is affecting my health, my attitude, and my work ethic. The US Attorneys office is even aware of how bad things are in my Group and the issues with the Supervisor. Neither the Group Supervisor of my Group nor the second line supervisor have ever done complex case in their lives, nor have they even done a simple case and they are trying to dictate to the US Attorney’s office how to prosecute cases.

Both the first line Supervisor and the second line supervisor are classic examples of "F%$CK UP, MOVE UP" .

Guys, What do I DO???? I'm about to walk in and toss my gun and badge down and walk away!!!
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 7:37:26 PM EDT
Don't worry, they'll promote your supervisors soon. Like most govt work, he'll be bumped up and become somone else's problem. Don't give up because of a douchebag supervisor. They are everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:07:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Quien:
Don't worry, they'll promote your supervisors soon. Like most govt work, he'll be bumped up and become somone else's problem. Don't give up because of a douchebag supervisor. They are everywhere.

+100
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 8:23:44 PM EDT
Would turning in your badge put a hardship on your family? I know right now I could not afford to leave my dept. I have bills; dont you? If you can afford to leave and find something else than I'd start to have that confidence in the back of my mind and say to myself, "hey I can leave any time I want", "I'm gonna make this the best I can while I am here".
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:09:49 AM EDT
It's that way everywhere, my man.

At the local PD I work for, morale is non-existant. The Chief is a MAJOR fuck-up and seems more interested in sitting in his office watching DVD's on his new computer (He got a new one while we deal with 6-7 year old computers that lock up several times in the course of doing a report!) than he does in enforcing laws. In fact, we have been told, point-blank, to not "get into trouble" because he's tired of hearing complaints from the general public! From his perspective, "not getting in trouble" includes investigations or arrests unless the offense is very serious and we personally witness it and can't get away with letting it slide.

We got a new Sgt a few months back and had high hopes. He's a great guy and wants us to start enforcing the law again. Unfortunately, the Chief had a shouting match with him about his interpretation regarding laws and the Chief's interpretation. As usual, the Chief won. So now, even though the Sgt wants to change things, he has been ORDERED, in no uncertain terms, to conform to the Chief's viewpoint, under threat of termination for insubordination.

City council and the City Manager are no help, either. They have no interest in the PD except as a revenue generator and as a Department they can loot money from. They don't care any more than the Chief does about our complaints, either.

Do some MAJOR checking before jumping ship, my man. The grass isn't always greener and, with the time you have in, I think I'd learn to leave work at work and stick it out. Good luck to you.

Bub
Top Top