Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/13/2011 8:44:41 PM EDT
My wife wanted a dog, so 3 years ago I bought her a Chihuahua. We love this damn thing, it even sleeps at the edge of our bed and always has to be the center of attention.

My wife and I have noticed a couple of issues that are gradually getting worse and wose with the dogs temper/mood?

1. When one of us is gone and the other is at home alone with the dog (doesnt matter if its me or the wife) the dog is on constant edge, growls at every noise and just seems to be on high-alert.

2. When that other person gets home the dog goes CRAZY! Barking, squeeling just super excited that the other person its home, sometimes has accidents as it cannot control her bladder she is so excited.

If we both come home at the same time she just looks at us and wags her tail but doesnt react anywhere near the same way as I described above.

This temper/mood ONLY happens when ONE of us is gone, when we are both home she sits in her bed and sleeps or lays around on the couch but the same sounds and noises that make her go NUTS when one of us is gone do not even phaze her.

What gives?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
Just protecting the house.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:51:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Pics.....of Chihuahua?

They have very sensitive hearing, and it must be protected:

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:53:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Watch an episode of Dog Whisperer with a chihuahua.

Long story short, the dog thinks it's the pack leader and thus is protecting its shit.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#4]
She thinks she is the alpha female and she is pissed that a subordinate pack member left without telling her...

Or she is nutz, she is a chi-hoo-ah-hoo-ah after all...
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:55:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Sounds like she wants attention?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:55:40 PM EDT
[#6]
dogs do weird things. My dog is almost constantly looking out the front window for intruders into HER part of the street. If anyone parks in the driveway though she will not bark. I had to park down the street and she went nuts like I was some stranger but as soon as I opened the door she was fine
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:56:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Energy and Dominance

Yen and Yang

Good Side - Dark Side
You have to have balance.

I HATE Chihuahuas

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:26:02 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO Chihuahuas are the ultimate alert dog. They don't give a fuck who you are, if you get near their house, they're gonna bark up a shitstorm. They don't care if you're 12 inches tall, or 12 feet tall, chihuahuas think they're the baddest motherfucker in the hood and will confront anything that they think is a threat. If I'm ever in the backyard or far away from the front door where I can't hear anyone approaching my house and my chihuahua flips a shit, that means someone is out front. My grandma has the "uncle" of my dog, and he protects my grandma's house like you don't even fucking know. It's like he has fucking built-in sonar. Something makes a noise outside, his ears perk up, his eyes open wide, he jerks his head in the sound's direction, and his his pupils get really small. If the door bell rings, he'll tear ass across the house barking his fucking head off, leap onto the couch, and stick his head through the window blinds to see who's the asshole that just trespassed onto his porch.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 9:31:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
IMO Chihuahuas are the ultimate alert dog.

Spot on.

When the Chihuahua goes apeshit I look at the Golden Retriever.  If the Golden is going on alert then I grab the Glock, if the Golden rolls his eyes then I go back to sleep,
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 10:11:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Alpha female type thing .
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top