Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/21/2007 12:47:06 AM EDT
I would like to buy an AR.  I miss shooting my m4.  I've asked a million questions about which one to get.  I got it nailed down to CMMG.  Every time I get the cash though I buy something else.  Most recently was 5 new BFG's for my jeep.

On top of that I find myself losing interest in AR's.  When I can resist the urge to spend money on the jeep and use it for guns I drool over single-action revolvers and lever action rifles.

Why is the AR getting pushed further and further down my "must have" list?

Why is a nice single-action revolver so much more appealing to me?

Am I coming down with a severe case of Fuddism????

I can't help it!  The mixture of wood and metal is seductive!  What the hell is wrong with me!!!???!!?!?!??

While I'm at it...Why is the only semi-auto pistol even remotely acceptable to me a 1911?  Why do the rest look like plastic toy guns to me?  
Help.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:54:08 AM EDT
[#1]
You're not a fudd.

I love my ebr's even though my fave is a short barreled d/b 12 gauge. Very sexy to me.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:58:22 AM EDT
[#2]
Coach gun?

Yes sir.  You have good taste.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 12:59:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Get one while the gettins' good.
Glocks and the ire look like toys but I really like them.  I thought the same way you did initially, but after I bought my first glock and actually learned how to shoot a pistol correctly, I fell in love with it.  You are not a fudd.  Even wanting an AR disqualifies you from being a fudd.  I have the same problem with procrastination.  Make yourself buy something for the AR that is totally worthless without the gun.  This will be some incentive towards making those items useful.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:06:35 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Make yourself buy something for the AR that is totally worthless without the gun.  This will be some incentive towards making those items useful.

You do realize that for the price of an AimPoint I could buy another revolver don't you?

Shit!  

See what I have to deal with?

Plus I get the feeling that an AR is much like a jeep.  Cool toy to have, but once you buy it it costs a fortune in mods.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:11:49 AM EDT
[#5]
Then just buy this, Not a fudd, but still a 1911

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:15:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Well, you may be losing interest in the AR which is fine. There is alot of other stuff out there to look at. You may want to consider not spending money on your Jeep as the asset is just depreciating no matter how much money you pour into it. If you need tires or maintenance that is one thing.

At least a firearm basically maintains it's value.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:17:24 AM EDT
[#7]
Maine has a good point.  That is the reason I quit doing any mods to my car other than the scheduled maintenence.
ETA: Not only are the items for the jeep continually depreciating in value, but they will wear out much faster(in the case of the tires) than an AR would.  Hell in 2-3 years those tires are going to be bald pieces of garbage that you will discard, but the AR will last as long as you.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:24:06 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
You may want to consider not spending money on your Jeep as the asset is just depreciating no matter how much money you pour into it. If you need tires or maintenance that is one thing.

At least a firearm basically maintains it's value.

You must drive a Nissan.  

ETA:  Can you play in the mud/ride trails on your AR?  

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:33:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I understand what you're going through.....I think.

Had a minor case of BRD in the mid-1990s and bought one.  I ended up selling it to fund other things that I thought were important to me and my family.  This was in 1999.

I didn't have a lot of disposable income to buy an AR until the early 2001.  Even though I had the money saved up I just kept putting it off and putting it off.  Finally I ended up buying (actually building) my next AR in 2003.  

Then my BRD got a full hold of me.  That's all I can say right now without admitting I might need to attend BRD anonymous.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 1:41:17 AM EDT
[#10]
I think I have found part of the problem.

I walked into the living room and this is what I found on the top shelf of my book shelf...

I watch the history channel, I grew up in the woods, and all I read is history stuff (WWII and Old West mainly).  This may be partly to blame!

And before any of you picture analyzers notice the Willow Tree Angel in the top pic and screw with me... It belongs to my wife!  She puts them everywhere!!!!!

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:20:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Make yourself buy something for the AR that is totally worthless without the gun.  This will be some incentive towards making those items useful.

You do realize that for the price of an AimPoint I could buy another revolver don't you?

Shit!  

See what I have to deal with?

Plus I get the feeling that an AR is much like a jeep.  Cool toy to have, but once you buy it it costs a fortune in mods.  

So buy some parts and BUILD ONE YOURSELF !  \

It really ISN'T hard at all.  Go buy a lower, then next time get a stock, then an upper, etc etc etc....

Maybe it'll force you to stick with it AND it's really friggen cool when you make some shit yourself and it WORKS TOO ! hahaha

Just grabbing one off a shelf in a store somewhere isn't anywhere near as satisfying, I think.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I would like to buy an AR.  I miss shooting my m4.  I've asked a million questions about which one to get.  I got it nailed down to CMMG.
Their web site has to be one of best ones out there for customized AR-15 lower, upper and complete rifle builds.  What are you waiting for?!  Embrace Black Rifle Disease!  It's worth spending over $1000 on a custom build!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 2:37:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Get an M1A
(flame suit on)

You would still have a rifel made of wood and steel-i agree that it's seductive.
It beats the hell out of aluminum and plastic
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:31:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I rarely shoot my AR anymore because I hate getting into the ammo stash.  I have a thing for wheel guns too though so don't feel bad.  
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:33:18 AM EDT
[#15]
I want one but keep putting the money on cheaper things
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:40:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Funny, I'm the other way round.

When I need to buy a new computer, I think of the custom 1911 I could have built instead.  Or when I get an oil change, I think how I would rather spend the money on ammo.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:45:57 AM EDT
[#17]
It's syphillis!!!!!!!!

It has hit your brain and fucked your priorities all up.

There is nothing wrong with you. I love military rifles, but there isn't a firearm that I can think of that I haven't been interested in at some point.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:56:48 AM EDT
[#18]
sorry, i can't relate
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:08:52 AM EDT
[#19]
I was into revolvers, shotguns, bolt guns... until I realized that stuff was always going to be available, but AR-15s and other EBRs were on the endangered species list.  At the time (early 90's) I was looking for a lever action to go with my revolver, but I bought my first AR-15 instead.  Bushmaster XM-15E2 20" HBAR, $425.  Several ARs later I still don't have a lever action.

It's not an exaggeration to say Charles Schumer, Diane Feinstein, Sarah Brady, and their friends made me the EBR gun owner I am today.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#20]
Not everyone is ready to give up cap guns.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:41:51 AM EDT
[#21]

Buy one of these instead.

Or these.
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 6:48:53 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Coach gun?

Yes sir.  You have good taste.

I have one in the 20 gauge, 3in. range!!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 9:25:44 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
Not everyone is ready to give up cap guns.

Okay I laughed at that.  

You may not be far off base though.  I may be one of the last generation of kids that had free access to realistic toy guns.  My favorite was my pair of single-action cap guns (the kind with the roll of caps).  I wonder what ever happened to those....

Of course I also had the battery powered uzi water gun and an m16 that made realistic enough gun fire sounds so that I didn't have to lose my voice yelling "BANG..BANG".  Maybe I scratched that itch pretty good when I was in the .mil.  

There's just something about a SA revolver especially.  Designed well over 100 years ago, used by lawmen and outlaws, it never jams, and it's just plain beautiful.  It isn't a hideous chunk of plastic and metal...

I need a matching RNV to go with that ^^^^^^^, an Uberti Stallion in .22, a 30-30 LA, a .45LC LA......

I have Jeep Disease and Old Gun Disease.  How the hell can I pull off BRD too?

Maybe I do need to go ahead and just buy a lower and make myself do it.  I'll give it a shot.  Hell, at least if I buy a lower I can have the rest sent direct to me.  This is going to be hard..........
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top