Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/5/2005 9:26:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 9:28:54 PM EDT by ArmedAndRetarded]
Someone gave me 2 MRE's. These are the tan ones. Label says made by SOPAKCO.
One is Menu 3, the other is Menu 6.
Package doesn't say what the hell inside. When I was in the Army, MRE's had the contents printed on the label. Is the military trying to save money on printing, or is this a Top Secret MRE that I don't have security clearance to eat?
Anyone know what's inside? Or is it more fun to eat if its a surprise?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:27:55 PM EDT
probably a civilian one. There were 3 companies that made civilian ones. now only 2 sell civilian ones.

I can't remember the names right now, but one company that I had had them the same way yours are.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:28:26 PM EDT
all military MREs should come with the heaters. civilian ones do not.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:29:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 9:43:36 PM EDT by Barrelburner]
People selling MRE's on Ebay have the listings for what each menu # is...

3 is beef ravioli

6 is chicken fajita

BTW Wornack makes the GI MRE's

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:32:15 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Barrelburner:

3 is beef ravioli

6 is chicken fajita

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know. I'm not sure about the chicken vagina, but the ravioli sounds better then those ham slices we used to get.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:50:53 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Luxan:
probably a civilian one. There were 3 companies that made civilian ones. now only 2 sell civilian ones.

I can't remember the names right now, but one company that I had had them the same way yours are.

I hope the one that quit was Star Foods from San Antonio.

I ordered a dozen from them (split them with a friend) back when I first found that mil surplus MREs were becoming hard to find. I expected the contents to at least be SIMILAR to a military MRE.

I used to eat my older MREs and cycle them out with fresh ones. Now, I don't think I would eat one of the Star Foods MREs unless I was really starving, in a SHTF situation, and I had broken my leg so I couldn't hunt or look for road kill.

Jim
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:28:52 PM EDT

3 is beef ravioli

6 is chicken fajita

img266.imageshack.us/img266/413/mre30tk.jpg
img229.imageshack.us/img229/1093/mre68wh.jpg

Wornick is ONE of three GI MRE manufacturers. Sopakco and Ameriqual are the others. I believe that Wornick is now out of the Civilian MRE business.

As for what #3 and #6 are, that depends on what year of MRE you have. The tan bags appeared in 1996.
Menu #3 is Chicken Stew from 1996 through 1998
Menu #3 is Beef Teriyaki from 1999 through 2000
Menu #3 is Beef Ravioli from 2001 through current

Menu #6 is Smoked Frankfurters from 1996 through 1997
Menu #6 is Grilled Chicken w/noodles from 1998 through 2000
Menu #6 is Chicken in Thai Sauce from 2001 through 2004
Menu #6 is Chicken Fajitas from 2005 to current.

A ton of MRE information can be found here: www.mreinfo.com
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:44:39 PM EDT

As for what #3 and #6 are, that depends on what year of MRE you have. The tan bags appeared in 1996.

Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god ....This is just too much for me to handle right now. I thought the mystery was solved. It was supposed to be ravioli and chicken vagina, now you tell me this!!!
Blaaarrrggggghhh!!!!!!

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:13:09 PM EDT
be a man and just eat the damn things then you will know what they were
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:13:48 PM EDT

Originally Posted By cyrax777:
be a man and just eat the damn things then you will know what they were

Not always!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 8:54:40 AM EDT
If you are hungry, just eat it. It's nutritious. At times when you need these it is not the time to worry about the cuisine.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:02:13 AM EDT
If it is Thai Chicken, throw it out. I couldn't heat one of those if I was on the brink of starvation.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:08:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 9:11:56 AM EDT by efpeter]
I miss the old school MRE's Dehydrated pork patty with dehydrated ketchup packet. Frankfurters with bean component. Ground beef with spiced sauce.

Man, those where the days! Sometimes you would get a chocolate covered vanilla bar. They came in a white wrapper, but they didn't hold up too well under heat. I remember getting packages of M&M's that were a couple of years out of date, too, but that was later.

ETAOh, Ameriquel (sp?) foods is in Evansville, IN. There used to be another one, too, but I forget the name. It was right behind the mall. Anyway, in Desert Shield/Storm, I used to yell "Package from home!" when I would get one. Everyone would get excited, wanting to see what I got. That one never got old!
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:09:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ArmedAndRetarded:

Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god Oh my god ....This is just too much for me to handle right now. I thought the mystery was solved. It was supposed to be ravioli and chicken vagina, now you tell me this!!!
Blaaarrrggggghhh!!!!!!

According to this site, menus vary by manufacturer as well: LINK

According to that site, the sopakco menu 3 is Shrimp Jambalaya and Menu 6 is BBQ Ribs. Think of it like Christmas - you don't know what's in the package but whatever is in there is yours to keep.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:13:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 9:13:45 AM EDT by NewbHunter]

Originally Posted By ArmedAndRetarded:

3 is beef ravioli

6 is chicken fajita

Thanks! Exactly what I needed to know. I'm not sure about the chicken vagina, but the ravioli sounds better then those ham slices we used to get.

Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:19:54 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 9:20:57 AM EDT by Scollins]

Originally Posted By danno-in-michigan:

According to this site, menus vary by manufacturer as well: LINK

According to that site, the sopakco menu 3 is Shrimp Jambalaya and Menu 6 is BBQ Ribs. Think of it like Christmas - you don't know what's in the package but whatever is in there is yours to keep.

That link is about TOTMs, which are not MREs.

As a training tool, this meal will aid units in gaining familiarity with the preparation, usage, consumption, and disposal of a pre-packed meal similar to the Meal, Ready-to-Eat (MRE). This meal is similar to the standard MRE in packaging and contains many of the same components. However, it employs commercial packaging to reduce costs. The TOTM is not an MRE, nor is it designed to take the place of the MRE. The Tailored Operational Training Meal (TOTM) is a totally self-contained packet consisting of a meal packed in a flexible meal bag that is lightweight and fits easily into military field clothing pockets.

That is probably why the menu numbers are different. The MRE link is here MIL MRE but it only lists the most current menu.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:25:28 AM EDT
I did my time in 74-78. We didn't have MREs yet, just Korean War vintage C-Rations. The meal contents were printed on the top of each box (12 boxes per case).

When I went through basic and AIT the DI's would turn the boxes upside down so you didn't know what C-Rat you picking. The reason was so there wouldn't be a stampede to see who would get the choice meals leaving the last guys getting stuck with the least favorite meals (almost always ham and eggs).

BTW... back then C-Rations came with a small pack of cigarettes (3 or 4 per pack, IIRC), a book of matches and a small pack of Chiclets.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:32:09 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:36:24 AM EDT
Just do what I do when I get one Load it up with Tabasco or what ever hotsauce you have then it will taste alot better...unless it is the old ham omeltte.

Scott
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 9:37:10 AM EDT
I know this is kinda off topic but I heard something interesting last month. I was in Corpus Christi, TX attending a seminar for police trainers. During one of the seminars on terrorism (sorta) the guy said that a document was found if Afghanistan in 2003 containing the words "McAllen" and "MRE". Apparently that was the only readable part of this document.
Anyway someone did an internet search using those two words. Come to find out that the Right Away company in McAllen, TX (which is within slingshot distance of the Mexican border) manufactures MREs. After an investigation began it was found out that this company employed a significant amount of illegals (surprise). Apparently Homeland Security told this company to get rid of the illegals because there was evidence that there was a likelihood of infiltration in this company and that the MREs might be tampered with. Supposedly the company fired all of the illegals.

Just FYI; I thought it was disturbing/interesting.

BW
Top Top