Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2003 2:38:21 PM EDT
I just got a temp transfer for 2 months right outside Augusta, Maine.
What do I need to see in that area?

Hunting/Fishing/trapping possibilities in a 30 mile radius?

A friend told me all the women in Maine were ugly. Guess it has to do with the "hearty settler" gene pool, like them wagon train girls from Oregon.

Anyway, any advice on Maine greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:48:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Bushmaster is in Maine. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:54:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Ya could always venture up to Canada.  A friend was there for 3 months and she just did what ever I guess....

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:55:07 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm going to Maine tomorrow...I go every summer to fish for a few weeks. You have a better chance of seeing a Sasquatch than an attractive woman in Maine.....seriously. No offense to our Maine members, but damnnnnnnn you got some ugly women there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:56:32 PM EDT
[#4]
LOL....glad NH is in between to buffer the ugliness.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:58:48 PM EDT
[#5]
EAT LOBSTER!.......mmmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 2:58:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Oh, and 15 miles outside of Augusta is BFE. No need to go 30. there's probably good trapping in downtown Augusta. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Leave and go to Texas.

Thank God for Texas.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:18:19 PM EDT
[#8]
You can go to the town dump on Friday nights and watch the bears and moose! [:)]

There is the Rockland Lobster Festival, I think it is in July.

Go to NH and see where the Old Man in the Mountain used to be!

Actually, visiting the seacoast and Islands is nice.

You can take the ferry to Nova Scotia.

Go to Boston for a weekend.

It's seriously laid back up there, but it is very nice country.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:18:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I spent a month in Maine as a teenager. We did a family camping trip, stayed at a place called Pleasant Lake, way north of Bangor. I was so bored I got a job picking blue berries! It paid pretty well too. Nowadays I guess they just use migrants.

Great hunting and fishing though, especially the fishing!

And the campground we stayed in had a large supply of teenaged girls to chase after. Never did meet a good looking local though. I guess winter is just hard on them!

I don't think I'd ever move there.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:47:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Go to Freeport and go to L.L.Beans store,(open 24/7) only place I'd been to that a trout pond indoors,They had a cool gun room if you like o/u s/s shotguns, bolt action rifles, no sport utilty rifles,All kinds of camping, fishing, mountian biking, equiptment, Neat place..
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:48:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I didn't know there were any jobs in Maine.

My wife's family is near Bangor, and the only one gainfully employed works for social services.

During the summer there is nothing to do.  Its hot, muggy, and boring.

Forget fishing in the summer.  The rivers are swarming with black flies (giant gnats).  You don't feel them biting, but you'll have blood trickeling down your face.  Too many bites and you get sick.

Autumn is the only time I can recomend going, its beautiful, but the locals are rude.  They are only pleasant during tourist season.  After that you are an outsider or as they put it, "people from away".

Rant over.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:51:53 PM EDT
[#12]
If you've actually been to Maine and replied with "there ain't much to do" then you were clearly displaced and should stay where you are. Please come up, vaction and spend your money. Then please go the hell home.

Please don't come to the Northeast if you think a lack of night clubs, huge indoor malls and discos is a problem. If your idea of a neat night out doesn't include swatting bugs while you peer at the Milky Way with your significant other, don't bother. You'll be bored.

If you feel the need to respond to my post with some sort of remark about hicks, please stay in your urban fortress.

If you like violent crime, stay in your city. If you like traffic and congestion and noise and street lights all night, be forewarned. If life is The Action, Baby! You won't like it.

If you like it when its so quiet you can hear your own heart beat, come on up. If you think a single violent crime is the story of the year, come check it out. It its your preference for gun laws that leave you the hell alone, welcome.

Want to hunt out your back door? Cool. Catch trout in any one of a hundred streams in your town? Groovy.

Want to change things so its like where you came from? We don't need it and you won't be welcome.

Good fences make good neighbors. Give the shirt off your back to your good neighbor. Respect property rights. Don't steal. Help your neighbors when they need it. Don't help them when they don't want it. Let your neighbor hunt on your land. Vote tradition. Take care of your own old relatives. Let em live with you. Never kick your dawg. Keep your guns clean. Fight change when it doesn't do anything positive. Embrace change when it helps your town. Be involved.

If thats your philosophy, common up. If you want to make Maine (or NH or VT) like Detroit or Vegas or Newark... please don't bother.

Sorry for the long rant, but we feel strongly in NH about preserving our way of life. Live free or die.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Forget fishing in the summer.  
View Quote

Gotta disagree here. I'll post pics in a few weeks to back it up.

The problem is that most of the locals a)don't know how to fish in warm weather (just like I can't ice fish) b)they're so used to the cold that a 80 degree day is a wicked scorcher for them so they don't even try to fish.

They think trolling is fishing.

In the next two weeks I'll catch loads of largemouth, smallmouth, huge white perch, several varieties of trout, striped bass, and a few more. Last year I caught a 38" striper on a fly.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:01:03 PM EDT
[#14]
What's that town in Maine that brought in the Somalians, and after so many came and began overwhelming public services to the point the city said "No more", the Somalians called them racist?  They learned the game quick!

It was Lewistown, Maine [url]http://www.warriorsfortruth.com/news-somalis-maine.html[/url]

Anyway, you could ask around the Somalians if they know where to buy khat, the plant they chew that got them so hopped up for the battle of Mogadishu. Somali communties in the US ship it in, even though it's illegal. I always wondered what its effects were like.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:17:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Wooden boats.........mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 4:35:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Get in yah cah and drive West.

Unfahtunately, ya cahn't get thayah from heyah.

Link Posted: 6/19/2003 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#17]
Maine is great!  I was up there last summer for vacation--rented a cabin on a lake but we were too busy having fun to do any fishing or boating.  There are plenty of places to hike and some biking trails.  Excellent state and a national park (Arcadia) which are worthwhile.

I ate a lot of good food.  Lobster and fried haddock.  Find a local lobster shack and get whatever is on special.  

You are not that far from the Canadian Maritimes which are also worth seeing.  Excellent and expensive Sunday brunch at the Algonquin Hotel in St. Andrews, New Brunswick.

Lots of small towns have rod and gun clubs and you can probably join one for cheap and shoot for free.  The town I was near let me shoot for free without joining.  

GunLvr
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:14:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Just bought a house in Caribou, approx 5 hours north. I believe Strippers are running shortly. Would be a great trip to the coast for some fishing. Also there is Arcadia national Park to the south. If you are in the area in September bear hunting kicks in.
Lots of lakes to hit for bass, salmon, browns, brookies, Baker lake for Muskie...and you can still find the back woods gravel pit to fire off a few rounds.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 2:41:19 AM EDT
[#19]
Acadia National Park - go see it.  Nothing like that in VA.  One trip there will justify the rest of your time in Maine.

Don't go anywhere else.  It belongs to me.

Maine is one of the most beautiful states in the nation.  The north woods past Greenville are amazing, clear cut patches and all.  Wildlife, scenery, streams etc...

Brook fishin, hunting, cabins, bonfires, parties, me and my crew live it up out there.

I work in Mass and NH but LIVE in Maine.  NH is nice too, Mass blows in every concievable way.

Hot women ratio is small.  That's true.  I had to import my bride from Cape Cod.  Actually there was a girl from Augusta featured in last month's issue of Maxim *the one with Shania Twain*

Every state has it's white trash.  We've got our fair share no doubt about it.  #2 welfare state in the union baby!  Little economy and lots of hibernating apathetic dysfunctional human sludge with lots of time on their hands.

But for those that work hard, play hard, and live well, Maine in my opinion is the ultimate play ground.  Mountains, ocean, lakes, wildlife, and Dunkin Donuts on every street corner.  I could seriously go without all the Somalis in Lewiston taking over the local economy of an otherwise poor old mill town.  Ironically, there are more Somalis employed and working compared to the anglo saxon faction in that same town.  Ambition is a bitch.

"Maine...the way life should be, even for Somalis"
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:47:57 AM EDT
[#20]
I took a vacation to Maine about 4 years ago.  I'll second the recommendation to go to Acadia National Park.  That place rocks - you just have to see it to believe it.  Go to the top of Cadilac Mountain.  If you are on top of that mountain, you are the first people on the east coast of the U.S. to see the sun rise.

A boat trip to Monhegan (sp?) Island is a cool day trip too.  They kept that island the same as it was 100's of years ago and the scenery is breathtaking.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 1:51:28 PM EDT
[#21]
I almost forgot
LL Bean
Lobster
Kittery Trading Post
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 2:46:09 PM EDT
[#22]
L.L. Bean is for yuppies, I don't like seafood, but everything else(except Lewiston) sounds cool, and I wouldn't mind visiting Maine eventually.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:47:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Not much to hunt or trap in the next 2 months.  Striped Bass fishing is great.  A 50 mile radius around Augusta is the best for Largemouth.  Nearly any stream will hold trout.  You just need to do a little walking through the woods to find spots that aren't fished often.

You need to stop by Kittery Trading Post (Kittery, Me) when you first get into the state. They've got a huge gun selection.  Go to L.L. Bean too.

Bushmaster is in Windham.  Give them a call and maybe they'll give you a tour.  I went to an open house they had years ago when they were in Portland.  Now they're only 15 min away.  I wish they had a retail shop.

You can shoot anywhere.  Baxter State Park is your best chance to see deer, bear and moose.  Those flying porcupines are just big mosquitoes.

Post in the Hometown Forums if you need any advice on laws, gunsmiths, etc.

Oh yeah...Everyone else is right about the women.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:29:39 PM EDT
[#24]
If I tell ya the truth I'd have'th kill ya!!

What we do up here is "Top Secret", The Black
Fly and Mosquito experiments are going well.

The Governor has begun his plan to suck more money outta everyone's wallet, especially
Flat-lander tourists. Yeap liv'in in the highest taxed state in the union with the poorest population outside of Apalachia
ain't easy. So if you don't have money you've
gotta stay home and can't get into trouble!!
So there is nothing to do cause you can't
afford it.

Women: Hummm liv'in in the North country
is hard seeing the seasons run sorta' like
this, Winter/Mud Season/Fourth of July and
Bangor State Fair. So the gal's are kinda
friendly they provide shade in the summer
and warm't in the winter.

Ahhh when you get here stay put, live by the rules the other guy said. Yeah that LL Bean
place is for "Uppies", and that Acadia park
is noth'in but a bunch of rocks, Lob'sta
is'nt good for you either!! Just maybe if you need some Nite-life that "Uppie" town of
Portland in the "Other Maine", in that Ol'e
Port section might just be what your look'in for (but don't bring any GUNS the police chief
a Philadelphia transplant hates them even with
a CCW.)

Seriously Theres stuff to do but its far and few between, and it takes time for the locals to warm up to you, I'm a Transplant Still after 34 yrs. and my wife is just starting to to speak to me.

Good luck
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#25]
Read Stephen King books.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 7:23:59 PM EDT
[#26]
I've got relatives in Maine. Nice to visit. Nice to leave.

Good looking women are very scarce indeed. Funny, in all my travels there, I can only remember a small handful of girls worth a second look.

Maine is cool b/c it is empty once you go far enough north.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 8:58:51 PM EDT
[#27]
I too have relatives in Maine. In Van Buren, a 10 hour drive from here. My uncle retired as Patrol Agent In Charge at the VB border patrol station.

Nice country. If i could ever start my own business, I would live up there in a heartbeat.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 5:23:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Not much to hunt or trap in the next 2 months.  Striped Bass fishing is great.  A 50 mile radius around Augusta is the best for Largemouth.  Nearly any stream will hold trout.  You just need to do a little walking through the woods to find spots that aren't fished often.

You need to stop by Kittery Trading Post (Kittery, Me) when you first get into the state. They've got a huge gun selection.  Go to L.L. Bean too.

Bushmaster is in Windham.  Give them a call and maybe they'll give you a tour.  I went to an open house they had years ago when they were in Portland.  Now they're only 15 min away.  I wish they had a retail shop.

You can shoot anywhere.  Baxter State Park is your best chance to see deer, bear and moose.  Those flying porcupines are just big mosquitoes.

Post in the Hometown Forums if you need any advice on laws, gunsmiths, etc.

Oh yeah...Everyone else is right about the women.
View Quote

10-4 on being 15 minutes away from Bushmaster.  I'm in Gorham, where are you?  Didn't realize you could get a tour.  Now I want one!

In addition to the flying porcupines, one has to watch out for the subatomic Noseeums...

Those lil guys are evil in it's purest form.[dracula]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:51:40 AM EDT
[#29]
I believe Strippers are running shortly.
View Quote

Man I love it when the strippers are running.  Lap dances run amok! I'll be right up with my dollar bills!

[;D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 7:55:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Read Stephen King books.
View Quote

Make sure you stop in Castle Rock and check out the vampires!
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 8:51:02 AM EDT
[#31]
Maine, the state of ugly dykes. Maine is too lesbians (ugly ones unfortunately) what San Francisco is to gays.
But Maine is great for fishing and hunting and has quite beautiful scenery. Acadia on the caost is nice, be sure to visit Cadillac mountain early in the AM. Katadhin mountain (sp?) is a mandatory visit. Wanna go bear hunting? this would be your chance. Same for moose. For a really good sandwich drive a few miles north to umm... umm..... it is next to Waterville, and drop by Big G's, We would go there every time I would visit. (My GF is an alumni of Colby College, thank god she has seen the truth and is not one of those liberal panty-waist tree hugging weenie types that make up the general population of the school.)
Anyway, look to the outdoor activities and remember summer is two days long. don't waste either of them.

PS, from the GF standing here beside me...
Skowhegan for outlet malls.
Portland has only real mall and is only town open past 6pm.
Margaritas is the place to go in Augusta. (Right off of 95, part of the hotel there.
Pompam (sp?) is the nicest beach.
Big G's is in Lewiston.
There are more snowmobiles on the road than cars during the winter.

Good luck and have fun....

Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:23:07 AM EDT
[#32]
Was in Boothbay Harbor for the Windjammer Days last year.  This year it's this Tuesday and Wednesday, the 24th and 25th.  Beautiful scenery, cheap lobster & beer, and catfish sandwiches the size of your head.  

Cold up there even this time of year.  The locals fend it off with jeans, flannel, and facial hair; I'm just not into women like that.  
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 10:38:47 AM EDT
[#33]
FACIAL HAIR ???[shock] On their womenz???

No wonder Slacker left.
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 11:54:02 AM EDT
[#34]
Ditto Cadillac Mountain.  The cooling system was taxed, though.  

Greenville - I remember a looooong straight grade of virtually nonstop forest.

Old Towm - had a tour of the canoe factory.

Moosehead Lake - one big lake, caught some good fish

Wildlife - plenty of it.  Don't feed the bears.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top