Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/1/2004 4:54:28 PM EST
We just had a big mother of a snapping turtle at our place this afternoon. So to keep it away from the dogs and kids and to guarantee it's permanent absence...I decided to pursuade it to leave with the Springfield 1911.

I shot half this things head off at point blank range and it kept moving. I ended up putting over 16 shots into this damn thing to finally kill it.

Mind you everyone is an expert marksman on this site...but I'm talking about 5 feet away!!

Anyone else have a problem with these damn prehistoric rejects?

Signed

Kurt - "The Crocodile hunter aint sh*t" - Austin
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:55:30 PM EST
Have Al Giordino and Dirk Pitt come over with a large-caliber rifle.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:55:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 4:56:18 PM EST by Redcap]
5.45x39 turns them into Swiss cheese. Apply repeatedly; it's cheap enough.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:55:39 PM EST
12 ga. slug. really.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:55:54 PM EST
When I was a kid my grandpa hung one upside down and cut it's head clean off.......it lived for 3 DAYS......NO BS
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:57:09 PM EST
Ask arowneragain...........

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:58:07 PM EST
it's not going to outrun you. use your imagination.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:58:09 PM EST

What the hell does it take to kill a snapping turtle?

Time. They have very primitive nervous systems. Takes a while to shut 'em down.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:58:14 PM EST
Nuke from orbit......
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:58:42 PM EST
I saw my grandfather cut one's head off once. He pointed the body in the other direction and it walked away. A 7.62 FMJ to the body will handle one pretty nicely though.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:59:07 PM EST
Tactical nuke. 30 megaton.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:59:28 PM EST

Originally Posted By 2IDdoc:
Nuke from orbit......

Damn...beat me to it.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:59:30 PM EST
Waiter! Bring me some turtle soup and make it snappy!
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 4:59:50 PM EST

Originally Posted By Blue84S10:
Ask arowneragain...........

You rang? Oh, sorry, I already replied.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:00:12 PM EST
7.62x54R works wonders
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:00:18 PM EST
M.O.A.B.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:00:37 PM EST
Damn you guys are slow......

T A N N E R I T E will fix it.

or you could stuff it in it's pooper and.....oh, never mind.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:01:36 PM EST

Nuke from orbit......

Is that the only way to be sure?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:01:51 PM EST
As near as I can tell, they are damn near indestructible, and you best keep well away from their head after you think they are dead.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:02:23 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:04:21 PM EST
.308 works too,

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:04:39 PM EST
Why did you kill it? It was probably someones pet snapping turtle and now it's dead. You feel like a big man now? Poor little browneyed turtle was probably just looking for a friend to play with and you killed it! If I ever saw some one kill my sweet little browneyed 50# pet sweetie pie, I'd burn their freakin house down and shoot whatever ran out.

I usually put a wire around the head to pull and stretch the neck, then take the head off with a machete.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:05:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 5:06:02 PM EST by ED_P]

Nuke from orbit......

It's the only way to be sure..

Seriously, I shot a couple as a kid, and they are a BEAR to kill. I was only using 22LR, but put 5-6
holes center mass. The next day I found the damn thing up on the shore. I dug a hole, and when
I put the shovel under it to put it in the hole, the damned thing looked up at me and started trying
to crawl away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:07:24 PM EST
Ahhh...another Clive Cussler fan. So few understand my logon.

Back to turtles....my wife was simply amazed at the resilience of that damn thing!! The last thing we wanted was that rat bastard tangling with our dogs.

I noticed that the hollow point rounds did little or no difference in damage than the ball ammo. I'm thinking not enough girth to expand the bullet.

I think it was a democrat as well....and was trying to convince others in the area to vote for John Kerry.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:09:45 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:17:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By cnorton:
Tactical nuke. 30 megaton.

That's strategic. Tac nukes are small.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:18:14 PM EST
30 rounds of Q3131A, bumpfired...but only if you post a video of it
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:20:09 PM EST
Why did yo ukill it? Was it a threat to you?
Are you so afraid of a turtle that you couldn't pick it up and move it?

Damn, but some people are quick to kill harmless animals...

THis thing wasn't attacking you kid, wife, animals, and isn't poisonous, so why kill it?
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:33:29 PM EST
I got two in my pond out back. I'll let you know.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:45:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By kpel308:
When I was 12, my Grandpa saw an alligator snapper out in the mud in front of our house when they lowered the water level to fix a dam downstream. He had my brother and I go out with a metal mop handle, and told us to each grab an end and put the middle of the handle in front of the snapper. The snapper chomped down on it, then my brother and I dragged its sorry ass for about 50 yards back to shore. We dragged it all the way up the bank and up the hill to the house, and Grandpa helped me hang the thing, still hanging onto that mop handle, from the crotch of our elm tree. He handed me a machete, and had me cut its head off. It was still moving even after that.

We picked it up off the ground (took all 3 of us), and Grandpa had me drive a nail through its tail so the blood would drain. Grandma made turtle soup, and our pet cat had a place to hide from the elements for the next several years as we kept the shell outside the back door. The meat was very good, and you didn't have to mess with the bones too much.

Of course now, the EPA, the Army Corps of Engineers, and the Department of the interior would probably burn down our house and kill our cat

Almost what my late 82 year old GA native neighbor would do, he loved turtle soup. My Step Dad and caught a few monsters in his pond (they killed a few of his geese). Our neighbor had a big ole pot (I do mean big) ready with boiling hot water, he threw them in the pot and boiled them for a while. I didn't get his recipe though but he did comment later that those turtles were mighty good eating.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:48:09 PM EST
Well you killed it..... Now eat it!!!!! Heck it might be good lol.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:50:13 PM EST
When I was in high school, my science teacher said he cut ones head off and the head kept snapping for 2 days. I thought he was full of shit. Now I'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 5:59:53 PM EST
My mother-in-law uses a sturdy stick and an axe.

Poke it in the face until it snaps out at the stick, it'll keep holdin' it...

Then you chop it's head off.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:03:32 PM EST
For jeebus sake......stomp the little shit.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:07:48 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:08:52 PM EST
Shit all this head chopping reminds me of that Nepalese vid I should not have watched. We shot one in the pond with a 22. Blood in the water so I know we got it. It survived until the next year when gramps got it with a 30-30. Then the beaver came and flooded the pond. Would duck away when they saw us. We finally got it with 30-06 from shore. It was better to have the turtle at least he didnt flood the pond and kept the beavers away.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:10:16 PM EST
You need to stuff it in his/her pooper (if it's his, you're not gay, because it's a fucking turtle), then post some pics.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:13:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hydguy:

THis thing wasn't attacking you kid, wife, animals, and isn't poisonous, so why kill it?

They eat our baby ducks on the pond. They are vermin. A .22LR to the head is the quickest way to terminate one.

wganz

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:13:30 PM EST
Harmless my ass!! This thing was an easy 30 lbs and moved pretty damn fast.

Next time one shows up...I'll call you to come pick it up. I wouldn't want to mess up my delicate hands.

Of course...I see all the other responses and crap about these creatures and obviously nobody else on this site is going to take one of these damn things out as a prom date.

So yes...I shot it...I guess I'm a "Girlie Man".....well if thats the case...pass the skirt and tell the next creepy hissing stinky snapping son of a bitch to look out for the fruit in the skirt with the handgun.

Signed

Kurt "Arnold was talking about me" Austin
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:14:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Hydguy:

They are prolific reproducers, and NASTY hunters of fish, birds, and curious kids.

Believe me, these are NOT your average cuddly turtle.....
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:17:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:18:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/1/2004 6:21:17 PM EST by thebeekeeper1]
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:20:00 PM EST

Originally Posted By Zaphod:
Have Al Giordino and Dirk Pitt come over with a large-caliber rifle.....

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:21:47 PM EST
Nasty jaws too. We saw these guys fishing for them in a pond. They would feel around with their feet and sticks. They would figure out which end was the front and grab the tail. It looks like a good way to lose fingers and toes.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:23:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:

What the hell does it take to kill a snapping turtle?

Time. They have very autonomic nervous systems. Takes a while to shut 'em down.

Fixed!

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:23:34 PM EST
I will weigh him in and post the weight tomorrow. I'm thinking he was definitely a candidate for the Jenny Craig program.

Of course...it may be hard to get a good guess on weight when I'm screaming and crying like a girl right?

I've seen the bite that these things can deliver and my kids and dogs were in the yard. I don't want those things coming up the beach and I'll continue to take them out.

Anyone have a good recipe for them?

Kurt "Now I'm freakin Emerril over here" Austin
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:24:08 PM EST
We never ate them, but we still had to kill 'em 'cause they ate all the baby ducks.

If we caught one on land, we'd just flip it over and hit it dead center longways on the underside with an ax.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:26:49 PM EST
Chainsaws work really well, dont try the weedeater.

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:27:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By Kurt_Austin:
Back to turtles....The last thing we wanted was that rat bastard tangling with our dogs.

It would have been easier to just shoot the dogs.
Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:31:47 PM EST
Me and a friend were playing in the creek, we were about 10 years old, and came across a snapping turtle. Bunch of the kids from the neighborhood got their BB & pellet guns and bounced BB's off its back for about 30 minutes before my older brother pumped up his pellet gun an obnoxious number of times and put a pellet throught the shell . . . . I have always felt bad about it. Don't really recall whether we killed it or not. Been too long and the memory is going . . .

Link Posted: 9/1/2004 6:33:14 PM EST
No kidding...I probably wouldn't be taking heat from the " I Love turtle" crowd either for whackin the dogs.

Oh well...I understand their point...but maybe I can fight a more sensitive war against these turtles.
Can they be reasoned with? Maybe I should get a coalition of other woodland and shoreline creatures together to get a resolution to establish international boundaries.

Nah...maybe I'll just put the shells on a stick in the ground to warn the other turtles what lays in wait for them on our shore.

Signed

Kurt "aka Vlad the Impaler" Austin
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top