Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 10:33:29 AM EDT
This is the first time this has ever happened.  For the past few weeks big braches from one of my pecan trees randomly break off!  Theres no strong wind....theyre not weighted down with pecans....the braches are perfectly healthy.  But ive seen about 3 braches over the past few weeks just snap off and fall to the ground as im watching TV.  This morning it happed again!

What is causing this!?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:39:47 AM EDT
[#1]
gravity
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:42:12 AM EDT
[#2]
Big foot.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:42:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
This is the first time this has ever happened.  For the past few weeks big braches from one of my pecan trees randomly break off!  Theres no strong wind....theyre not weighted down with pecans....the braches are perfectly healthy.  But ive seen about 3 braches over the past few weeks just snap off and fall to the ground as im watching TV.  This morning it happed again!

What is causing this!?

Do healthy branches fall for no reason?

Maybe you have uncontrolable Jedi powers.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:48:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Probably this guy

You'll need a flamethrower.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:52:16 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Big foot.

+ 1 on the Bigfoot explanation.

Everyone knows bigfoots roll their turds in chopped pecans and sell them as "Pecan Logs"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:08:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Well,first off how long has it been since you had your tree pruned?

Is it near powerlines?dose it get pruned for right of way?

Has it ever been topped?

These are all key things to take in to acount,My random guess from doing this most of my life,is that the tree was topped at some time.When this incorrect form of pruning is done,it allows the tree to form realy tight croches,or branch attachments.The tighter the croch,the weaker the branch.

I would get a CERTIFIED ARBORIST to give it a look.
Call them up and tell them you have a tree you want a price on to prune,ask them about the problem then.They usualy do this for free,It would be a safe bet to have him prune it.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top