Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
PSA
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2015 10:02:00 PM EDT
Was at Wally World so my son could spend all the Christmas money he received on video games.....

So I thought "I'm doing nothing tomorrow, so why not smoke some ribs or brisket?".  So to the meat case I went.

Single pack of baby back ribs $21 and some change.  Kroger generally has ribs at $11 or so for baby backs.

Small piece of brisket (when I say small I mean I have eaten steaks bigger) $15 and some change.  I've never bought a brisket excepting the one I bought when I had a cow butchered and I received 1/2 of the cow.

They are out of their mind.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:09:42 PM EDT
ok.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:10:55 PM EDT
I bought meat at Wal Mart one time.  I will never make that mistake again.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:12:31 PM EDT
Beef prices have gone crazy over the past few years.

But since everyone thinks they are smoker gods, especially during the summer--pork is also up in price.

Typically pork shoulders are 1.29-1.89/lb.  During the summer a lot of places go up to $3/lb here, including Costco.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:14:07 PM EDT
Meat gazer thread......
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:15:02 PM EDT

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Admiral_Crunch:

View Quote
This. All the meat turned a funny grey and tasted like rubber.

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:16:28 PM EDT
View Quote

I did try their steaks once. They were not bad. Not the greatest, but not horrible.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
I know Pork prices really spiked earlier this year, due to some virus through the herd, but that fixed itself.  I've seen ribs as low as $9 for a decent slab at Kroger.

They were fairly well cleaned out, that $15 slab of brisket was no larger than my hand and about as thick.  Just amazing.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:17:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By chmodx:

But since everyone thinks they are smoker gods, especially during the summer--pork is also up in price.

Typically pork shoulders are 1.29-1.89/lb.  During the summer a lot of places go up to $3/lb here, including Costco.
View Quote

Yeah, market has been stupid high for a long time now but the market is falling again. Prices should drop in the coming months
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:21:45 PM EDT
Don't buy meat at Wal-Mart, is a thing that should not have to be said.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:26:56 PM EDT
View Quote

Same.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:28:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By basp2005:

View Quote

Was going to post this and 1/10 rant. You received the 1 for the ability to start a thread.
Happy New Year!
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:37:22 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:

Was going to post this and 1/10 rant. You received the 1 for the ability to start a thread.
Happy New Year!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Idaholandho:
Originally Posted By basp2005:

Happy New Year!

Yep, I was willing to chance it if I could get ribs are a reasonable price.  Nope.

I will never look and generally don't, but I was there and thought I'd price check.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:42:44 PM EDT

View Quote

No, prices have nothing to do with people being smoker God's.  Droughts, like the ones seen in the west and midwest, effect feed prices which effects our meat prices.

It was about two years ago that PA seemed to be about the only state getting any rain and we're still paying for that.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:43:23 PM EDT

View Quote

For anyone in the Mid Atlantic area with a Wegmans nearby. They currently have pork butts on sale for $.99/# until the end of January.
Looks like time to stock up.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:45:06 PM EDT
Only meat I buy at WallyWorld is whole packer briskets.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 10:51:20 PM EDT
I buy the packers and shoulders.  $2.46 a pound for the briskets.  Flats are like $6 or $7????  Crazy.  No thanks.  Slow and low gets it done.  

Coworker was complaining about the $8+ lb briskets at the grocery store.  I bought an Angus flat at Sam's for $4.77 lb and smoked it for Christmas.  It was incredible.  He said he's going to start looking elsewhere.  

I've been happy with the packers.  Just find one that bends and do it.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:05:49 PM EDT
don't buy meat from WM, especially sausage

Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:19:51 PM EDT
Got some ribs at costco for $6.  Best steak I've head came from sprouts.
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:21:47 PM EDT
All our local Wal-Marts have terrible meat departments.  Quality is bad and prices are high.  Usually go to Food Lion or Harris Teeter grocery stores for meat.  If it's at the end of the month at payday, it's trip time to Sam's Club.   They have a great meat department.  Not sure how they can be so good, and Wal-Mart so BAD..!!
Link Posted: 12/31/2015 11:38:41 PM EDT

View Quote
terrible, terrible meat.  50% liquid content.

Link Posted: 1/1/2016 12:38:43 AM EDT
Originally Posted By IceStationZebra:
Was at Wally World so my son could spend all the Christmas money he received on video games.....

So I thought "I'm doing nothing tomorrow, so why not smoke some ribs or brisket?".  So to the meat case I went.

Single pack of baby back ribs $21 and some change.  Kroger generally has ribs at $11 or so for baby backs.

Small piece of brisket (when I say small I mean I have eaten steaks bigger) $15 and some change.  I've never bought a brisket excepting the one I bought when I had a cow butchered and I received 1/2 of the cow.

They are out of their mind.
View Quote

Baby Back Ribs here? $2.88lb. at the local grocer, and it's regionally raised and processed.
http://www.myerssupervalu.com/uploads/Myers2015AdDEC28-JAN3pgs1-2.pdf

Check around, look at the local chains, and smaller independents.
Wal-mart is neither quality, or lower priced.

For Pete's sake, buy a freezer and find a Hog Farmer.
120lb Roasters are going for around 100 bucks.
Beef on the Hoof is going for around $2.50lb.

People buy chow at Wal-Mart, because they don't know any better.

Top Top