Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/20/2003 7:57:17 AM EDT
abclocal.go.com/ktrk/news/state/121903_APstate_stoned.html

Mom who allegedly stoned kids to death can't face death penalty

By The Associated Press

(12/19/03 - TYLER, TX) — An East Texas housewife accused of stoning her two young sons to death and injuring another over Mother's Day weekend reportedly will not face the death penalty because prosecutors allowed a filing deadline to pass.

Smith County prosecutors in Tyler had until 5 p.m. Thursday to file papers notifying state District Judge Cynthia Kent if they planned to seek the death penalty for Deanna "Dee" Laney.

However, the deadline passed with no filings in what could be an indication that prosecution mental health experts may concur with defense claims, The Dallas Morning News reported in Friday's editions.

Attorneys for Laney, 39, contend that she was too severely mentally disturbed to know what she was doing when she killed two of her sons and severely injured a third on May 10.

Kent has placed all parties to the case under a gag order.

Laney's accused of stoning 8-year-old Joshua and 6-year-old Luke Laney to death outside their rural home near Tyler. A 14-month-old son, Aaron, was found in his crib, bleeding from a head wound.

Laney's attorney had said last month that he'd present an insanity defense. Prosecutors said their decision on whether to seek the death penalty would depend on a psychiatric evaluation of Laney.

Laney was arrested at her rural home near the Smith County community of New Chapel Hill shortly after she called 911 to say she had stoned her sons on orders from God.

(Copyright 2003 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:18:47 AM EDT
[#1]
Ummmmmm.... ok [>:/]
Was she muslim?
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:21:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Was she muslim?
View Quote

The article didn't say.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:22:30 AM EDT
[#3]
If she was muslim and the paper stated this, they would be accused of being racist.  Surely you know that.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:25:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Was she muslim?
View Quote

With boys named Joshua, Luke and Aaron? Highly doubtful. In cases like these, though, it doesn't really matter. The monsters that perpetrate such cruel and despicable acts are not people of God at all, but they most certainly have some explaining to do to Him.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 8:59:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Was she muslim?
View Quote

A classic example of "I'll see it when I believe it!"

Oughta check out your bible a little more closely.

Or, just read this story:

[url=http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/cybereng/shorts/lotry.html]The Lottery[/url]

That being said, I like this answer a little better:

Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific biblical laws and how to best follow them. In particular:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some flexibility here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

View Quote
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:15:03 AM EDT
[#6]
Cool, I did a short paper on The Lottery in my ENG111 class.  Talk about weird!
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 9:48:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Was she muslim?
View Quote

A classic example of "I'll see it when I believe it!"

Oughta check out your bible a little more closely.

Or, just read this story:

[url=http://mbhs.bergtraum.k12.ny.us/cybereng/shorts/lotry.html]The Lottery[/url]

That being said, I like this answer a little better:

Dear Dr. Laura,
Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have learned a great deal from your show, and I try to share that knowledge with as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual lifestyle, for example, I simply remind him that Leviticus 18:22 clearly states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the specific biblical laws and how to best follow them. In particular:

When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a pleasing odour for the Lord (Lev. 1:9). The problem is my neighbours. They claim the odour is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus 21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for her?

I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her period of menstrual uncleanliness (Lev. 15:19-24). The problem is, how do I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offense.

Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and female, provided they are purchased from neighbouring nations. A friend of mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

I have a neighbour who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2 clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill him myself?

A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an Abomination (Lev. 11:10), it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality. I don't agree. Can you settle this?

Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my vision have to be 20/20, or is there some flexibility here?

Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.19:27. How should they die?

I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble of getting the whole town together to stone them? (Lev. 24:10-16) Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14).

I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you can help.

Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and unchanging.

Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

View Quote
View Quote

Nice letter.  [:D]

Now....that "lottery" story is just...uh....all f'd up.
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:18:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Ahhh, another from the Religion of Peace gone mad.

What a surprise from the heart of the Bible belt.

Wasn't that woman who killed all 5 of her kids also a Fundie Christian?

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:21:32 AM EDT
[#9]
she should be sterilized, in addition to any punishment the mete out

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:29:25 AM EDT
[#10]
She attends a First Assembly of God, which i think means that she is not connected to the muslims in any way.

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 10:32:51 AM EDT
[#11]
The /other/ Religion of Peace...
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:32:32 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The /other/ Religion of Peace...
View Quote

Aren't they [u]all[/u]?

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 11:57:44 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Cool, I did a short paper on The Lottery in my ENG111 class.  Talk about weird!
View Quote

I'll always remember it from school.

What do you think the story was about?  

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 12:00:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Since the definition of legal insanity is that the person did'nt know what they were doing is wrong. If she had buried the bodies in shallow unmarked grave and then fled to mexico she would be guilty . Because she did'nt seem to care and called the police just to state the matter and get herself into trouble it seems this one is a total loon.[8] Doctors will have to determine this. As too the stoning read the bible, it's a diary of Genocide. "God told me to kill you, your wife, keep your virgin daughter as war booty and enslave your children you stupid Caanaanite" t-(the unbeliver)stox [@:D]
Link Posted: 12/20/2003 2:33:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Since the definition of legal insanity is that the person did'nt know what they were doing is wrong. If she had buried the bodies in shallow unmarked grave and then fled to mexico she would be guilty . Because she did'nt seem to care and called the police just to state the matter and get herself into trouble it seems this one is a total loon.[8] Doctors will have to determine this. As too the stoning read the bible, it's a diary of Genocide. [red]"God told me to kill you, your wife, keep your virgin daughter as war booty and enslave your children you stupid Caanaanite"[/red] t-(the unbeliver)stox [@:D]
View Quote

huh.  I always thought God said to kill them all, lest they marry and intermingle and corrupt the jews with their idolatry.   Care to back up your little story with some bible verses?  

Link Posted: 12/20/2003 3:00:56 PM EDT
[#16]
huh. I always thought God said to kill them all, lest they marry and intermingle and corrupt the jews with their idolatry. Care to back up your little story with some bible verses?
View Quote

Sure, just read from Exodus through Joshua, especially Numbers 31 here are some exerpts- 9 "And the people of isreal took captive the woman of midian and their little ones;"  also 35 "and thirtytwo thousand persons in all, woman who had not known man by lying with him" after which point they are divided up among the tribes including the preists!(levis)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top