Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 1/1/2007 8:42:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 1/1/2007 8:44:11 PM EST by afman91201]
I have a preban magazine I may want to sell to someone in a state with a ban still in place. Are there any states that do not allow the entry of old magazines from out of state regardless of the magazine's age?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:46:10 PM EST
Off the top of my head:

MA - Possessor must have proper License to Carry for high capacity ammunition feeding devices.

MD - Cannot ship magazines over 20(?) rounds. Can possess, however.

NJ - No magazine over 15 rounds.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 8:54:29 PM EST
CA- if it is over 10 rounds, no go. Regardless of when it was made.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:19:09 AM EST
In Ca. you can get replacement mag bodies, but you can't use them to build new magazines, only rebuild existing ones.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:49:08 AM EST
Is there actually an offense by shipping it there or only posessing it there?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:16:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:

You mean California? Since they banned mags holding more than 10 rnds, it is illegal to buy them at all. People can still possess the ones they had before the ban, but they cannot be transferred to others in the state in any fashion.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:28:22 AM EST
Okay, maybe a bit clearer question is in order.

Does the shipper violate any law by sending the mag from a no ban state to a ban state? For example if shipped to CA knowing it was not legal there would the shipper have a problem or just the guy receiving it?

( no I dont plan on doing this, just curious )
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:39:08 AM EST

Originally Posted By racer934:
Off the top of my head:

MA - Possessor must have proper License to Carry for high capacity ammunition
feeding devices.

That's not up to the out-of-state merchant to determine. The burden is on the buyer from MA. Pre-ban mags are OK to transfer and own in MA w/proper licensing.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:42:50 AM EST
You can ship mags to ANY STATE YOU WANT! It's the buyers responsibility to comply with his local laws.

I hate the mindset that leftist laws in other states impact people elsewhere.

Link Posted: 1/2/2007 3:45:26 AM EST
well rifle mags your screwed if stamped manufactur after the ban, certian pistol mags can be modified from .40 cal to 9mm so that the mag can hold up to 14-15 rounds of 9mm in the .40 cal mag by slightly bending the feed lips, my XD9 has 10rd .40 mags that run flawlessly, and according to ATF it is not against any fed laws.

on the shipping thing, you would most likely get away with it, but, the penalty IF caught would make it not worth it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:11:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By stormwalker:
well rifle mags your screwed if stamped manufactur after the ban, certian pistol mags can be modified from .40 cal to 9mm so that the mag can hold up to 14-15 rounds of 9mm in the .40 cal mag by slightly bending the feed lips, my XD9 has 10rd .40 mags that run flawlessly, and according to ATF it is not against any fed laws.

on the shipping thing, you would most likely get away with it, but, the penalty IF caught would make it not worth it.

What penalty? From where? What state are you talking about? There is no federal mag ban, so what the hell can the ATF tell you about your XD9 magazines? Your post just didn't make sense to me at all.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 4:25:57 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 4:28:57 AM EST by 57Strat]

Originally Posted By afman91201:
I have a preban magazine I may want to sell to someone in a state with a ban still in place. Are there any states that do not allow the entry of old magazines from out of state regardless of the magazine's age?

Many of the firearms parts/accessory distributors have disclaimers on their website that they don't ship mags to certain states. Here's a sample from Cole's Distributing. I would not ship high-capacity mags to any of those states unless they can provide you a copy of their Class II manufacturing or Class III license (or proper license).

"WE DO NOT SHIP TO MA. AND THERE WILL BE ABSOLUTELY NO MAGAZINES SHIPPED TO RESIDENTS OF CALIFORNIA, NEW JERSEY, OR D.C. WITHOUT PROPER LICENSING!!!!!"
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:19:14 AM EST
Rifle mags over 20 can't be bought, sold, or shipped to MD. However, we can drive across state lines, buy as many as we want and bring them back. Possession is legal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 5:33:48 AM EST
When you ship a package via the USPS, you are asked if there is anything dangerous, blah, blah, blah....

If I could possess any high cap mags in a certain state, I would simply have a friend or family ship them to me. They do not have to be declared and no state has the right to search the US Mail.

IMHO, we obey too many BS laws in this country. Government grows its power when good people give into bad laws. To reign in the government, blow off as many of these BS laws as possible.

I am tired of surrendering my God-given rights.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:30:39 AM EST
I believe you can disassemble the mag and ship it to Cali as a replacement parts kit.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:34:15 AM EST
Just out of curiosity, if the mag is date-stamped before the CA ban took effect, how are they going to prove that you got it after the ban?

For that matter, how are they going to prove the same thing on a mag that isn't stamped with anything?

Did you have to register each and every mag at the outset of the ban or what? Thats the only possible way they could enforce such a ban...
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:40:25 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 9:58:41 AM EST by Paul]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:46:30 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 9:47:32 AM EST by SubnetMask]
As a former Californian:

Residents are not allowed to purchase >10rd magazines. Residents are allowed to purchase replacement parts (mag body, spring, follower) for complete magazines they owned before the ban. Residents are not allowed to make new magazines from replacement parts. Since magazine bodies are a valid replacement part, the date stamp (if one even exists) is irrelevant. Feed lips get bent. Springs get worn out. Followers break.

Draw your own conclusions.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:48:53 AM EST
Even if you were stopped at the border with mags coming into california, while you might get hassled, they would have to prove you didn't already posess them when you left the state. Importing is different from just coming and going. Same as you wouldn't have to pay a tax on your car built in canada or mexico everytime you left the country in it and drove back in.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:53:56 AM EST
[Last Edit: 1/2/2007 9:55:06 AM EST by 82ndAbn]
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:58:04 AM EST

Originally Posted By whomper:
I believe you can disassemble the mag and ship it to Cali as a replacement parts kit.

Yep, you can send all the hi-cap mags to CA you want. Just break them down into: mag body, follower, spring and floorplate and ship them as "replacement parts" which are totally legal.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:10:53 AM EST

Originally Posted By Mr45auto:

Not really. The Kaliban mag restiction is a state law and they have no juristiction to enforce it outside of the state.Only the person receiving the mags could be charged (and we're not going to tell.)
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 10:11:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By markm:
You can ship mags to ANY STATE YOU WANT! It's the buyers responsibility to comply with his local laws.

I hate the mindset that leftist laws in other states impact people elsewhere.

THANK YOU!!!
Top Top