Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2002 10:25:39 PM EDT
What spray on finish is the best for a do it yourself mag refinishing job?
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 12:05:21 AM EDT
[#1]
[url]www.georgiaprecision.com[/url] carries PermaSlik G.  Do a search in the magazine forum and you'll find tons of information on it.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 5:59:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Here's the link for Falarak's article on [url=http://communities.msn.com/TheMarylandAR15ShootersSite/howtorefinishyoumagazines.msnw]Refinishing your magazines[/url]

I bought some from him and they came out great!
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 6:02:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Pink krylon also works nicely.

No, seriously, some guy had PINK mags at the range, I only assumed he sprayed them that color and didn't buy em that way.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:30:40 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys for the info.

I have ten sten mags to refinish for my 9mm AR project.
Tapco has good deal on them.
I got ten mags and a Dutch O/D surplus bag for $19.99.

And all ten are keepers, They cleaned up really good hack two of them looked brand new.
So the next step is to refinish the other eight mags.

[b]PINK KRYLON[/b] [puke]
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:44:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I did some sten mags in a high temp BBQ grill spray paint.

I first cleaned and removed ALL grease from the mags.

Heated them up slightly in the oven at 250

Sprayed them with the high temp paint

Put them back in the oven at 350 for about five minutes

Took them out and sprayed them again with the high temp paint

Put them back in the oven at 350 for another 10 minutes

They look pretty good (better than the Tapco finish..hehe) and the paint holds up pretty good.  I did around 20 mags with one can of paint and have less than $3 invested!

The Permaslik is a better product and gives the mags a great finish.  I would use the Permaslik on my AR mags.  However, sten mags coated with anything is usually an improvement.

Just my 2 cents.

medcop
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 9:00:37 AM EDT
[#6]
Medcop
I had tought about that to I have about 1/2 of a can of High-temp Bar-BQ paint laying around that I use to repaint my wood stove every year with.

I think I'm going to pick up two more set of mags from Tapco and I think that I'll paint half of them with PremaSilk G and the other half with the high-temp bar-bq paint.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 10:10:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Medcop's method recommended only for bachelors or men dating but not living with significant others.

Otherwise, rock on.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:04:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Yea...I forgot to mention the thing about the wife or g-friend getting pretty mad about using the oven...hehe
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Another choice is Aluma-Hyde, which you can get from Brownells.  Clean them very well, paint them, let them air dry over night, then cook them in the oven for a few hours at 200-350 degrees.  I've done this and the wife didn't complain too much.  Just one snide comment. [;)]

You can also refinish with molylube.  Spray it on, let it dry, then polish with a cloth.  Gives the mags a more silvery color, however.
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahhhh, that is a different issue then.   I think alot of people assumed you meant refinishing AR mags.  You likely don't want to use the permasilk G on your sten mags as that is not really a protectant as much as a dry lubricant.  The andonizing is actually what is protecting the AR mags.  For the sten mags, a teflon-moly coat deal should to the trick, like GunKote from Brownells (usually people like it better than the alumahyde, but they only sell it in one color) or norrell's makes a similar finish is several colors, but IIRC, they don't sell it in spray cans, you'll need an airbrush.

Rocko
Link Posted: 4/19/2002 7:35:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Ahhhh, that is a different issue then.   I think alot of people assumed you meant refinishing AR mags.  You likely don't want to use the permasilk G on your sten mags as that is not really a protectant as much as a dry lubricant.  The andonizing is actually what is protecting the AR mags.  For the sten mags, a teflon-moly coat deal should to the trick, like GunKote from Brownells (usually people like it better than the alumahyde, but they only sell it in one color) or norrell's makes a similar finish is several colors, but IIRC, they don't sell it in spray cans, you'll need an airbrush.

Rocko
View Quote

So you are saying that permaSilk is not appropriate for steel mags.

I have a M-14 mag I need to put a finish on.
Link Posted: 4/23/2002 7:12:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all the great info guys.
Link Posted: 4/30/2002 7:51:21 PM EDT
[#13]
I just refinished two old AR mags with Brownells Teflon/Moly in dark grey park. color. A good cleaning with steel wool, soap and water, dry in 200 degree oven, remove and spray two light coats, bake at 300 deg. for 30 minutes  to cure. Man they sure look good.

Best thing is that I picked up this lot of mags near Ft. Benning for way cheap and the mags were in real decent mechanical shape. Now they look better than new.

Want to try Permasilk-G on the next batch.

Will post a picture as soon as I can borrow a digital comera.
Link Posted: 5/2/2002 7:24:58 AM EDT
[#14]
I recommend that you send them to Paul308, I hear he does a great job and has very good service!!
NOT!!!

Merlin
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top