Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/19/2005 5:48:20 PM EDT
Did a search but nothing specific came up.

I was stopped the other night ( went thru a yellow light )
Gave the officer my PA. DL , answered the "where are you headed?" etc., officer
had a pleasant demeanor.

The stop was made in small city in NY by local PD.
I couldnt find my reg. immediately ,( was mixed in with other papers in my glove box)
so the officer ran my license.

While he was doing the check I was just sitting behind the wheel looking thru stuff to find my reg.

Pretty routine ....... until he came back from checking.

The officer asked to see my Hands , and undid the thumbsnap on his holster , and IMHO
appeared a little apprehensive.

Well he let me go with a warning , end of story.

But my question is - What got him jumpy?

Was it the NRA sticker on my back window?

Maybe I just look BadAss?

Or did something come up on the license check that bothered him?

Do they have access to gunowner records?

Thanks in advance for any info.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 5:55:11 PM EDT
[#1]
HERE, they get

On the tags:
Current status of insurance.
Current status of tags.

On the DL:
Driving record for 3 years.
Felony, drug, or violent crime convictions.
Local warrants.
CCW if you have it.
Addresses for last  5 years.
A few other things I can't get my cop buddies to tell me.  LRPD has computers in their car, they have no radio contact for running DLs or Tags.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:05:10 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
The stop was made in small city in NY .

Here's my chance to rip on east coast coppers .....nah

The officer asked to see my Hands , and undid the thumbsnap on his holster , and IMHO
appeared a little apprehensive. But my question is - What got him jumpy?

Where were you "looking thru stuff to find" your reg?  If you were digging around while I was sitting behind you, I'd wonder what the hell you were doing, too.  Once he's back in the car, he's going to run your reg through the computer without the paperwork anyways.

Or did something come up on the license check that bothered him?
 Maybe your name is similar to a local schmuck, near hits on a warrant or something.  Coulda just asked him when he was done with the warning.

Do they have access to gunowner records?
 The only thing cops can do from a patrol car computer, or through dispatch, in regards to firearms, is run a serial number to determine if stolen.  I can't run your name and see every weapon you own, and I personally don't care to.  Now, I don't work in NY.... but this is just my midwest perspective.

The anti-cop screamers will get all over me for reminding everyone of this (MY RIGHTS, MY RIGHTS): you get pulled over, turn on the interior light if nighttime, keep both hands on the wheel and wait to see what the officer wants.  Tell him where you're reaching before you reach, etc. Trying to get your DL out before he is to your door requires movement, requires digging, requires you to remove your seatbelt.......and we don't know what you're doing, NOR do we know you're a decent NRA member, as opposed to Joe Shithead who stole a decent NRA member's car.  Do you have to do these things?  No...but to do contrary to them invites a reaction on the side of safety to the officer.

VJ
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
what I want to know is if they give you a warning is there a thing that pops up that you got warned? or is this like a school permanent record thing.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:26:40 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 6:28:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:27:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Well if you read about how many officers,trooper,deputies have been getting killed or blasted lately you'll understand that no one's taking safety for granted.

If you are digging around in the car and I cant see your hands when I make my approach I'll ask to see them.     If I get any kind of non compliance I'll start processing why. And react accordingly.  

Unsnapped holster well maybe you were a little apprehensive when that happened.(just messin with you)  

FYI  Stickers don't mean jack.   Dopers have JESUS Saves and say no to drugs on their cars all the time  NRA stickers It's a $25 membership that gives you a good magazine.  Now that NAMBLA sticker might get some attention.

I wouldn't sweat it  the guy probably won't remember you tomorrow.  

There is all sorts of stuff on the computer.   Much still needs to be verified though.  
Tells me if you got the Catcher in the Rye from the public library(out comes the reynolds wrap)
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 10:06:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Depends on how they run you. Probably just wanted to see if you were wanted, CCW permit will come up in that. We can run you different ways here; City, County, and NCIC/TCIC. Gunowner records do not show up. As far as the officer unsnapping his holster could be anything I guess. Later
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 1:43:09 AM EDT
[#8]
The officer could of got a false NCIC hit. In other words someone whos information was close to yours
got a wanted response. Then the dispatcher/officer figured it was not you. It happens quite frequently.
An example was a few years ago I got a notice from the state that my social security number had been entered NCIC. a black male in a different city apparently had used it. Since I was a late 30's
white male and not a 19 year old black male it was simple to sourt out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 3:30:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for the info guys - I'll steer clear of them yellow lights
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Tells me if you got the Catcher in the Rye from the public library(out comes the reynolds wrap)

Holy crap...just spat out my juice! I ran into this guy last night....
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:02:25 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Don’t worry. I’ve been doing this for more then 10 years, and EVERY traffic stop is done with my hand on or near sidearm.  If my hand is on the sidearm, the thumb strap is released.  I use my non-gun hand to take the OL (operator’s license) or other documents.   Peak my interest, sidearm is out and hidden behind my leg.  I don’t want to scare the person I stopped, and I don’t want to be killed.

Relax.  Sounds like an officer that is cautious, just like he/she should be.
Art in KY

Sounds perfectly reasonable.  I'd prolly be more frightened if you'd come "Fife-ing" up to the car, no matter WHAT your gun hand was doing.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 9:45:24 AM EDT
[#12]
When we run the tags we get:
year, make, model, color of car
expiration of registration
if the plate is active or suspended (due to insurance, or other payments)
stolen or not
DOB and address of registered owner

When we run a license:
status of the driver (active or suspended)
warrants
history for the last 11 years
accidents

My hand is always on my gun when i walk up to a car.  It was just a precautionary thing, no worries.  If there was something on your license he was worried about, he prob would have got you out and talked to you some more
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
When we run the tags we get:
year, make, model, color of car
expiration of registration
if the plate is active or suspended (due to insurance, or other payments)
stolen or not
DOB and address of registered owner

When we run a license:
status of the driver (active or suspended)
warrants
history for the last 11 years
accidents

My hand is always on my gun when i walk up to a car.  It was just a precautionary thing, no worries.  If there was something on your license he was worried about, he prob would have got you out and talked to you some more

Any chance the officer would give *us* that info?  I'd like to know what "my own" records say about me, and if he's gonna be runnin' 'em anyway, why not kill two birds with one stone?

ETA: When you say "we"

("When we run a license")

Who is "we"?  I'm not asking you to tell me which Dept you work for, but [at a minimum] are you local, "county," state, fed?
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 3:14:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Wise_Jack.........

I work local, but that is the info that comes up on the computer that the state provides for licenses and registrations

and by "we" i mean officers, deputies or troopers in the state
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:38:28 PM EDT
[#15]
So any chance of an officer sharing that info with a person who *isn't* on their way into an 8x12? (or whatever your respective dept's avg holding cell measures)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:38:05 PM EDT
[#16]
No record of warning in NY outside of what a local agency might keep in it's own records. Nothing that would go into NYSPIN computer system, which is what we all use.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top