Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 5:43:47 AM EDT
Okay, I bought a new bench a few weeks ago and I am finally getting around to setting it up.  The top is made of a fine grained, dense  plywood type substance.  I know it should be sealed...but with what?  Deck seal???  Fish oil?  Dura Coat? ( )
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:44:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Polyurathane resin boat sealant. Get it at a boat supply.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:50:29 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't work on that surface of the dense fiberboard. I cut cardboard to fit and put a piece of carpet remnant over that. I just change either of them as needed.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:56:19 AM EDT
[#3]
ON my old bench I had this really thick layer of flexible PVC that is used to line shower stalls and other stuff...that was really good but I have long since sent it the way of the dinosaur...

I have to get a few more cap screws and nuts so I'll check out some stuff while I am at the Depot......

keep the tips a comin'
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:58:02 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is what I am using on my deck.

www.woodrx.com/aboutinseco.htm

This is an actual picture of my deck.

I found it by talking to the local dock builder. They use this on all their PT pine docks. I figure if it will stand up in a marine environment, it will work well on my dock.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:36:50 AM EDT
[#5]
Take some trim or some 1x4 or 1x6 a tack it around the edge, but let it sit a 1/4in. or so above the top.  
Get a sheet of masonite and cut to fit.

Now you have a masonite inlay that can be easily replaced once worn out.  A sheet of masonite is pretty cheap too.  

That's what I'm doing when I build my bench.    
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:43:25 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Take some trim or some 1x4 or 1x6 a tack it around the edge, but let it sit a 1/4in. or so above the top.  
Get a sheet of masonite and cut to fit.

Now you have a masonite inlay that can be easily replaced once worn out.  A sheet of masonite is pretty cheap too.  

That's what I'm doing when I build my bench.    

good idea!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top