Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2006 6:03:35 PM EDT
So my first trip to the range with my spanking new Carry 12 was a major disappointment.  It would only feed FMJ ball ammo maybe half the time.  Hollowpoint?  Forget about it!  I cleaned it out of the box, it was all factory ammo, used factory mags and I have never had a problem with limp wristing.  They would just get stuck on the feed ramp.

My question is, should I go through all the trouble of sending it back to Para or should I try the old polish the feed ramp myself trick?  I have a pretty awesome rotary tool with tons of bits and abrasives.....what do you think?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:07:49 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
So my first trip to the range with my spanking new Carry 12 was a major disappointment.  It would only feed FMJ ball ammo maybe half the time.  Hollowpoint?  Forget about it!  I cleaned it out of the box, it was all factory ammo, used factory mags and I have never had a problem with limp wristing.  They would just get stuck on the feed ramp.

My question is, should I go through all the trouble of sending it back to Para or should I try the old polish the feed ramp myself trick?  I have a pretty awesome rotary tool with tons of bits and abrasives.....what do you think?

see what you can do yourself.  i used to hate my kel tec for reliability problems.  cleared right up after a good buffing
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:08:09 PM EDT
[#2]

Send it back to Para Ord.   It's under warranty . You can ship it yourself , you don't have to have the dealer do it .  

And ignore all of the Para bashing that will surely follow here . BTW - I have a 7/45 LDA and I
like it .
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:26 PM EDT
[#3]
E mail Para for a RMA.

I had to send my Hawg 9 in to replace the ejector.

I think they received it and shipped it back out the next day, it was back in about a week.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#4]
I just hate to send it back to the factory...it's such a PITA to ship guns.  I have to drive 15 miles to the UPS hub and then pay to have it shipped out of my pocket because of their problem  I think I will call them tomorrow and feel out how they feel about me doing a little polish work!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:25:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Do what i did! Sell the damn thing.  Had a Para Warthog I renamed the Jam-O-Matic .... It would not feed ball ammo for crap. Would run Hornady TAP all day long, but any type of ball would jam her up. Sent to Para, still had the issue. Replaced Mag springs, still had the issue. i ended up tradeing it and 50.00 for a new in box Glock 30 that has yet to have a single malfunction. Best move i ever made with my Para. Will never own another.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 9:20:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Send that POS to me.

I'm poor!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:49:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Send an e-mail to this guy at Para. [email protected]  Explain whats wrong with your gun , he's usually pretty fast helping custumers with problems with their guns.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:53:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Polish the feed ramp. That's right, break out the Dremel.

Also I don't know if it's got the new Power Extractor in it or not but if it doesn't, replace it with a Wilson. YOu'll thank me later.

/have two Paras, love 'em both. The P12 is my carry piece.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:59:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Look at the breech face too for any roughnes.

And check the extractor for proper tension and no burrs on the bottom side
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 8:02:37 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Polish the feed ramp. That's right, break out the Dremel.

Also I don't know if it's got the new Power Extractor in it or not but if it doesn't, replace it with a Wilson. YOu'll thank me later.

/have two Paras, love 'em both. The P12 is my carry piece.

+1

The P12 is my carry piece too.  If you want a good source for 10rd mags, get the Springfield Ultra Compact mags.  Yes, they are made by Springfield, but they fit the P12.  For about $15 per mag, I'll sacrifice 2 less rounds.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 9:24:19 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I just hate to send it back to the factory...it's such a PITA to ship guns.

Dont we all!  It is a PITA, but not as a PITA as a gun that doesnt work.

I have to drive 15 miles to the UPS hub and then pay to have it shipped out of my pocket because of their problem

Driving to the UPS hub isnt that big of a deal, and it wont cost you a dime if you'll call Para, and request a Return Authorization.  They are good about doing that.

I think I will call them tomorrow and feel out how they feel about me doing a little polish work!

Thats the best thing you can do right now, is call them.  They are good helpful people.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 2:26:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sell it, Para Ord's QC is for shit. You have a short 1911, which are unreliable to begin with, top that with a double stack 1911 mag, you're asking for problems.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:35:55 PM EDT
[#13]
    I told you .
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 5:45:53 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Sell it, Para Ord's QC is for shit. You have a short 1911, which are unreliable to begin with, top that with a double stack 1911 mag, you're asking for problems.

... Ha!

... One of my most prized and reliable "glove compartment" pistols is a formidable Para-Ordnance P10-45. Besides the standard 1911, "reliability treatment", combat hammer, trigger-job & fat beaver-tail I took her a step further and did one of those grip-contour sleeves for her big brother P14-45 staggered mags. Equals a potent, 15 +1, awesome, powerful, "miniature palmpackage" pistol.

... One of my favorite "truck-gun" weapons!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top