Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2001 2:25:57 PM EDT
Did we all  pass the 8th grade?  It amazes me to constantly read words here, that you will never find in any dictionary.   I can understand grammatical errors to some extent, but apparently some people just don’t care anymore.

You do not “raise” a family/children.  They are reared.

You do not seek “advize”.  You seek advice, and hopefully others provide it.

“You’re” should be used  as a contraction.  It replaces “you are”.  For example, you can use it thusly, “Joe Blacke, You’re an idiot!”

“Your” is a possessive term.  Use it to express ownership, or an attribute.  For example, you can say, “Are you going to shoot your rifle today?”

Interrogative sentences end with a question mark (?).  They are meant to ask a question.

Declarative sentences end with a period (.)  They are used to make a simple statement.

These are just some of the more glaring examples.  I’m sure others here have their own pet peeves.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:29:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Autodidact school.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:31:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Joe -
 I am in full agreement.  However, I believe we can hold the public educational system and the attitudes of the institutes of "higher learning" responsible for that.  Look at how often ESL and "bonehead" (read: remedial) sourses are offered, simply because people aren't learning a damn thing in primary education any more.  

I apologise for my own errors, however, they are caused mainly by a lack of skill as a typist.  Some spelling "errors" are deliberate, as I begun the use of the King's English in High School - soing so stricly to annoy a particularly irritating English teacher.  I became pleased with the aesthitics of the spelling and the nuances of grammar and structure vice the usages in American English, and the habit stuck firmly.

In the main, tho, most of my errors are caused by a chronic case of "stupidfinger" at the keyboard.  I thank God that my trigger fingers work properly when they are called upon...

FFZ  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:31:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I was raised right. And I'll give you some advize. Your an idiot, you can keep you're opinions to you're self! Do you get what I am telling you.

Edited because I can't even mis-spell correctly
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 2:55:35 PM EDT
[#4]
You got a problem with me too? I will be waiting at the kettle corn stand.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:15:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Forums are informal.  Thus, it is perfectly acceptable to use slang, incorrect grammar, and bad punctuation.  Most people do not speak in the same manner that they would use for a formal business letter or report.

Also, people often are attempting to quickly type something and it submit when tired, or distracted.  I know I usually check for spelling errors unless it's 3:00 AM.

And, dictionary.com states the following about "raise":

a.To grow, especially in quantity; cultivate: raise corn and soybeans.
2.To breed and care for to maturity: raise cattle.
3.To bring up; rear: raise children.

And yes, I do think its funny that they screwed up the online dictionary and used incorrect format(8a 2 3???).  Especially since I am trying to use it to prove a point about writing correctly.  Rear refers spcifically to the earlier years of children.  You wouldn't consider saying you are still rearing your teenager, but to state you are still raising a teenager is common.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:24:46 PM EDT
[#6]
You want to talk about peeves?!?!  I've got one for you:  Pluralization of collective singulars.

This used to be an English (as in U.K.) affectation and was not considered correct in the U.S.  But I've noticed more and more authors in American books and periodicals using it.  What do I mean?  Ford Motors is one automobile company.  While it is made up of thousands of employees, it's still one company.  So you say "Ford IS introducing a new car."  Not "Ford ARE introducing a new car."  It drives me up the freakin' wall.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:26:14 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Imbrog|io:
You got a problem with me too? .
View Quote

No, I don't [b]have[/b] a problem with you.  Not yet.  You at least know how to use a question mark.  Give me time, and I'm sure I can find something.

I will be waiting at the kettle corn stand.
View Quote

Time [b]and[/b] place, buddy.  I bring my dictionary, chalkboard, and huked-on-fonecs tape.  It werked 4 mie.

Geez, guys.  I don't expect perfection.  Not from a bunch of inbred, gun hugging, bunny killing, slackers.  Couldn't we try harder, though?  For instance, how many times have you seen the word "teh" when the writer meant "the".  How hard can it be to simply proofread your posts, or even to type them in a simple text editor and paste here?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:33:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Forums are informal.  Thus, it is perfectly acceptable to use slang, incorrect grammar, and bad punctuation.  Most people do not speak in the same manner that they would use for a formal business letter or report.

Also, people often are attempting to quickly type something and it submit when tired, or distracted.  I know I usually check for spelling errors unless it's 3:00 AM.

And, dictionary.com states the following about "raise":

a.To grow, especially in quantity; cultivate: raise corn and soybeans.
2.To breed and care for to maturity: raise cattle.
3.To bring up; rear: raise children.

And yes, I do think its funny that they screwed up the online dictionary and used incorrect format(8a 2 3???).  Especially since I am trying to use it to prove a point about writing correctly.  Rear refers spcifically to the earlier years of children.  You wouldn't consider saying you are still rearing your teenager, but to state you are still raising a teenager is common.
View Quote

English is a living language.  When I was in school, "ain't" couldn't be found in Websters.  The word reared was used in place of raised, regardless of age.

I just don't want us speaking ebonics, or other such gutter trash.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 3:55:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I'M HOOKED ON EBONICS, AND I CAN'T GET OFF!!
View Quote

That is damn funny!!!!!   [:D]

Originally posted by Joe Blacke:

I just don't want us speaking ebonics, or other such gutter trash.
View Quote

Thems r fightin words!  U kant say that becuz theres notin wrong wit gutter trash!

-RoadDog  [:(!]
(Surfer trash)
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:06:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I am a Magna Cum Laude graduate of the Don King Vocabulary and Composition School. Lighten up, don't get yourself in a tizzy.

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:23:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I believe correct grammar warrants the word "tiz", the noun, rather than "tizzy" the adjective.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:34:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Joe it's "meting out" not "metting out"...
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:40:33 PM EDT
[#14]
PS see "FBI Withheld..."
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:43:43 PM EDT
[#15]
A lot of what your are complaining about is a function of email and forums.  Written text should be correct and clear but I think the concern for that is going by the wayside.  Email has really brought down the quality of most writing.

And then the grammar issue blows my mind also, but I think some people do it to be "kewl".  Who cares, we all learn a lot from each other and that is what matters.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:48:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Joe it's "meting out" not "metting out"...
View Quote

Yeah, I knew that.

Oh, um, can you excuse me for a minute.  I think I hear the Mrs. Calling.

Comming dear!!

(oh, and BTW, don't forget the comma after "Joe")

I better get out of here before I get fragged.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:49:00 PM EDT
[#17]
Damn double posts.  I'm in for it now.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:51:38 PM EDT
[#18]
Ladies and gents, I understand Joe's frustration- I used to be a high school teacher (history [I refuse to use the term "social studies"....] and German). I spent more time correcting grammatical and spelling mistakes in the students' English in reports and on tests, etc. than anything else, just so I could understand what they were trying to communicate. (Often, it wasn't worth deciphering....)

So little rigor in standards in the previous grades for these students! I was, in essence, a remedial English teacher, in middle class suburban communities near Boston, MA, where, it is often alleged, the best school systems of this country are based. Horse hockey- cheating and political correctness abound- everybody is lying to each other and themselves about who they are and what they "deserve" in grades, honors, careers, money and status.

If this is the case, we are in trouble as a nation, because fewer can communicate clearly and effectively anymore in writing. I found too much emphasis on nebulous, unearned "self-esteem" and not enough on collective and individual accountability in behavior, skills and performance in work and school.

So- check the spelling and grammar. Read your posts as if you were somebody else reading your thoughts- would you understand what the writer wished to say? Nobody's perfect, and we all have differing levels of education and skills, but work to get it right- we all get tired and make mistakes, but that's why Goat Boy, Ed, AntiUSSA et al on this forum have put in an editing feature, so we can better express ourselves.

Otherwise, we as a nation will slide into what Teddy Kennedy and all the liberals want all people to be: dumb, depressed, dependent on govt., and Democrats!

Serfs up! (sic)
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:52:49 PM EDT
[#19]
hehehe...
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:53:34 PM EDT
[#20]
hehehe...
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 4:58:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I just wish people would proofread their posts.  Sometimes a typo will change the entire meaning of a post and I'm left wondering what the poster actually meant.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:06:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Joe, are some of the other members kicking sand in your face?  I know what that is like because I use to be you.  But not anymore these days!  No way, Jose!  Not since I sent away for my Charles Atlas "kick-sand-back" kit in the mail I have been training and listening to every word on the tapes!  

Listen my friend, since I have been working out with the Charles Atlas kit, I now talk like this: [b]  HEY!  ARE YOU TALKING TO ME?  NOBODY ELSE IS HERE, BUT ME!  WHAT?!  POWWW!!!  [/b]   [:(!]

[b]-ROADDOG, NOW WITH EXTRA BITE!!   [:(!]  [:(!]
(WANT TO MAKE SOMETHING OF IT, BUSTER?!)  [/b]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Joe, are some of the other members kicking sand in your face?  I know what that is like because I use to be you.  
View Quote

Apparently, it has "warped your fragile, little, mind" (he says in his best Eric Cartman voice).

Thanks for your help, but cyber bullies don't worry me.  Perhaps they are more of a problem on the coast?
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:22:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:28:47 PM EDT
[#25]
I was once in the National Spelling Bee 24 years ago. Spellcheck has ruined me.
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:29:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Come on folks, this is ridiculous.  There is some pretty bad English out there, but who really cares.  Lets talk about AR's, mags, and ammo.  All of these posts about abortion, changing your oil, etc.. are pretty lame.

The recent post:  "AR's let's see 'um" , now that was a cool post, something we can all relate too.

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:33:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Joe Blacke, you're cool in my book!  I will try to ease off on the Surfer slang!  Good to have you!    [:)]

-RoadDog

Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#28]
ok joe,

i no you can knot complain about this because i took the thyme to run it through my spell checker. just because you think you are so much smarter then everyone else in the whirl do knot mean anything. all of the rest of us are trying to have a little hart and just listen to what everyone else has to say and learn from there opinions. you are not the smarty pants ewe think you are, so their.

NMSight
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 5:57:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Yeah, quit whining
Link Posted: 5/10/2001 10:36:47 PM EDT
[#30]
[b]"All your Engrish are belong to us![/b]

-Troy [}:D]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:31:52 AM EDT
[#31]
I guess everyone must have their pet peeve.  I just try to grasp what the person is trying to communicate.  If it makes no sense, then just move on.  Sometimes the keyboard sticks and sometimes the brain sticks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:43:50 AM EDT
[#32]
PhD- School of Hard Knocks.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 8:51:32 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you have a major problem dude. i cant spell and that shouldnt matter. you have way too much time on your hands to write a copmlaint like that. who the hell cares. if you can read it, the guy got his point across. thats the idea.
[sniper]
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:02:19 AM EDT
[#34]
Got my degree at Phuk U. Joe.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:04:10 AM EDT
[#35]
Kettle corn cart.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:08:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Imbroglio:

If there's anything left of him.  I'll be a waitin down at the creek by the salt lick.
Link Posted: 5/11/2001 9:17:23 AM EDT
[#37]
I don't spend time spell checking ect! knowbody
has to read my post at all. if they don't have to. down yonder there we have a spealing expert.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top