Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/22/2005 4:54:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 4:54:45 PM EDT by lincolndz]
This guy I've known since high school (15 years ago) is telling people that he was a SEAL. His story is this - He says "I made it through the training but quit because I didn't like it."

Like I said, I've known him since I was 15 years old (and he was 16), and he was always a storyteller. Now he has people around town thinking he's ultra cool because he says he was a SEAL.

What questions do I ask?

His class number?

The date he graduated from from BUDS/S?

I know there is another training session before one is awarded their trident - what was that called?

Thanks,
Lincoln
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:34:24 PM EDT
Ask to see his DD214, his discharge papers. It will list the schools he has completed and the commands he was detailed to. If a SEAL Team is not listed, he never was a SEAL. It takes 12-18 months after BUD/S to get a Trident.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:49:52 PM EDT
After BUDS is SQT---Seal Qualification Training---18 weeks in length. No I am not a SEAL but I just read about this in "Down Range" by Dick Couch who also wrote "The Warrior Elite" and "The Finishing School". All good reference on SEALs and their training.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:32:36 PM EDT
Don't the SEALS have web site somehwere to verify stuff like this?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:33:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/22/2005 9:35:28 PM EDT by lincolndz]

Originally Posted By Sukebe:
Don't the SEALS have web site somehwere to verify stuff like this?

Yeah, but it's all official looking; as if it were meant for employers or government users.

Besides, I already know he's full of it (he was engaged to my sister's best friend right after high school, while he was in the Navy) - I just want to ask him these things in front of some people that think he's special because he told them he was a SEAL.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:36:35 PM EDT
Ask him what color the lighthouse on Coronado island is.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:48:53 PM EDT
ask him what the "S" stands for in BUD/S. if he says school, he a poser ass son of a bitch! "S" is for seal.

not a hard question, but you never know!
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:46:56 AM EDT

Originally Posted By CENTCOM_Survivor:
Ask him what color the lighthouse on Coronado island is.

LMFAO.

"What's the color of the boathouse at Hereford?"
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:49:16 AM EDT

"I made it through the training but quit because I didn't like it."

Quit..... Not a SEaL.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 11:50:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By lincolndz:
This guy I've known since high school (15 years ago) is telling people that he was a SEAL. His story is this - He says "I made it through the training but quit because I didn't like it."

Like I said, I've known him since I was 15 years old (and he was 16), and he was always a storyteller. Now he has people around town thinking he's ultra cool because he says he was a SEAL.

What questions do I ask?

His class number?

The date he graduated from from BUDS/S?

I know there is another training session before one is awarded their trident - what was that called?

Thanks,
Lincoln

Those are good places to start. Also.........who was the CO at the Center when he was a trainee, where he was assigned (that he hated it so much), name of class OIC, and other guys in his class, etc.

www.cyberseals.org or authentiseal.something-or-other will help you once you have some basic info for them to go with, and a reason they deem suitable for an investigation into it.

While there have been a few that have volunteered out, it is not very common, and always for a better reason than "I didn't like it".

If he gives you any answers such as "I don't remember" or a real keeper "It's classified", you can be 100% certain he is FOS. Those are things you will never forget, and none of that info is classified.
Top Top