Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/9/2001 11:45:52 AM EDT
I'm getting a Mossberg 500 and was wondering if I should get the pistol grip stock from Mossberg, or from a place like Choate?

Thanks for the input!

Ps  Where can I get one of those fore grips with the flashlight attachments?
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 12:41:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Check Centerfire Systems Inc. ad in Shotgun News, they have flashlight attachments for Moss.500's.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:02:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 3:11:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Surefire makes the flashlight forends, and lots of places carry them.

I've shot the factory Mossberg pistol grip, the Choate, and the Tac-Star, and for me, the Tac-Star was most comfortable.  It's also the largest of the three, so it spreads the recoil over a larger area.  Of course, I have big hands, so if you have small hands, it might not be the best choice for you.  I do like the grip angle, too.

Speedfeed makes a grip that is more like a sawed-off grip, and is supposed to be even more comfortable, but I've never had a chance to try one.

-Troy
View Quote

I've had the chance to use both standard pistol grip and the Speedfeed "sawed-off" style grip.  The Speedfeed wins hands down.  The pistol grip is designed for hip shooting, but not very good for it because og the odd grip one has to take.  The sawed-off grip doesn't bind the wrist and the gun is allowed to recoil without jarring your wrist.  The standard will give you a serious case of magnum wrist.
Link Posted: 8/9/2001 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 6:59:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Troy, if you had to rate the stocks you have shot before, from 1 - 10, how would you rate them?  Cost, recoil absorption, . . .

Also, where can I find the Tac-Star, the Speedfeed, and what are the costs?

Thanks for the input.  I hope to make a great 'house gun'!

Link Posted: 8/10/2001 7:09:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Ditto with what Troy said. I have double TacStar pistol grips and the 6 shell side saddle on my 590, and I love it. It's purely a home defense set up. A lot of people don't care for a shotgun with double pistol grips, mostly due to the recoil involved and the strain on your wrists.

I have shot 3" magnum slugs with this set up, and though for my purposes I usually load 2 and three quarter shells, 3" magnums are not that big a deal.

The double pistol grips make for a far more compact "hand cannon" when used in an indoor environment. Using the 2 and 3/4 inch shells, recoil is a nonissue. Used with a good tac-light and sling, this set up is one of the best possible home defense weapons you could dream of. Below is exactly what my 590 looks like. You tell me if it would get the job done.....
[img]www.gunaccessories.com/TacticalShotgun/TacticalShotgunWithLabels.jpg[/img]
I don't know if this web site is the cheapest, but they do carry the whole TacStar line....
[url]http://www.gunaccessories.com/TacticalShotgun/index.asp[/url]
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 8:20:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, M4!  That is almost exactly how I'd like mine to be set up.  However, is there any pre-ban post-ban laws regarding a shotgun without the butt stock?

I assume that Tac-Star also has the butt stock also.  

So, with the pistol grips and the light, what am I looking at, cost wise?
Link Posted: 8/10/2001 10:44:38 AM EDT
[#8]
FYI,  I just picked up the Mossberg!  I'm ready to accessorize now!!  [:D]

[shotgun]
Link Posted: 8/11/2001 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the Choate side-folder on my stainless 500 and love it.

MG

http://www.choatemachinetool.com/
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 6:16:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Mean Green, how well does it handle recoil?  Is the quality good?

Again, thanks for the input!  
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 8:46:06 AM EDT
[#11]
You can find Surefire Responders for the Mossberg at Lagger Pro (is Wayne at LP still the moderator of the Lights and Lasers forum?).  Good service and free shipping too.

http://www.lagger-pro.com

HTH,

Justin
Link Posted: 8/13/2001 9:51:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
However, is there any pre-ban post-ban laws regarding a shotgun without the butt stock?
View Quote

A pump shotgun must comply with the minimum barrel length and the minimum overall length.
You can attach anything else you like to it including the kitchen sink.

[url]http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode/18/921.html[/url]

(5) The term ''shotgun'' means a weapon designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of an explosive to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single pull of the trigger.
(6) The term ''short-barreled shotgun'' means a shotgun having one or more barrels less than eighteen inches in length and any weapon made from a shotgun (whether by alteration, modification or otherwise) if such a weapon as modified has an overall length of less than twenty-six inches.

(30) The term ''semiautomatic assault weapon'' means -

(D) a semiautomatic shotgun that has at least 2 of -
(i) a folding or telescoping stock;
(ii) a pistol grip that protrudes conspicuously beneath the
action of the weapon;
(iii) a fixed magazine capacity in excess of 5 rounds; and
(iv) an ability to accept a detachable magazine.

Link Posted: 8/14/2001 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#13]
Orion, the recoil with the Choate is about the same as with the original stock.  The quality of Choate stocks is beyond reproach.  Sturdy and well made.  If you don't want to shell the bucks for the side-folder they have a a fixed stock with a pistol grip on it that also looks good and costs substantially less.

MG
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 5:35:06 PM EDT
[#14]
I have an older, all metal, top folder Choate.
I know that plastic is the rage, but my club is better than your club!
Link Posted: 8/15/2001 6:10:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Orion-

You may also consider the Choate pistolgrip & full buttstock and forend.
I have used both the Choate regular pistolgrip and forend, which worked for me when I wanted a short gun; and, the full pistolgrip buttstock, which also worked fine, with the added benefit of being able to shoulder the gun if need be.
With the full buttstock, I could also tuck it under my arm for additional support and pump the forend till the mag went dry...
I also could place the Remington 870 Super Mag on the bench to shoot slugs with either the 20" rifle sight bbl., or the 26" vent-rib bbl. with the scope on the gun.
There are benefits to both styles.
I'm glad I have the option to change things when I want to.
I prefer the Choate unit, and my hands are "smallish".

If this works correctly, you can see the shotguns I was working on:

[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/023/pw/1C/93/xB34444.jpg[/url] for the Beretta 1201FPG3.
[url]http://wsphotofews.excite.com/010/Ly/4G/6A/tt78657.jpg[/url] for the Remington 870 SuperMag.

Have fun accessorizing your Mossberg!
Link Posted: 8/16/2001 3:30:29 PM EDT
[#16]
BusMaster007, I believe I will try the Choate.  What you have pictured is just about how I am going to do mine.  Thanks for your input, and the pics.  [:)]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 10:57:55 AM EDT
[#17]
Well, I decided to go with the Choate pistol grip stock.  I hope it suits my tastes!  

Thanks for all your help, guys!  [:D]
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#18]
Good choice.  What you want is the Mark 5 pistol grip shotgun stock.  They list for $68/69 depending on whether or not you want camo or black.  When I ordered my side-folder online, they sent it within a week.  The Choate people are very professional.  Enjoy!

MG
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 1:29:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Yep!  The Mark 5 is what I got.  Now I just hope it isn't 'rocket science' to do the mod!  
Link Posted: 8/17/2001 2:04:39 PM EDT
[#20]
How about a copstock? [url]http://www.knoxx.com/product/COPstock.html[/url]

[img]http://www.knoxx.com/images/product/COPstockSwatBlue.jpg[/img]

Nuckles.
Link Posted: 8/20/2001 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#21]
[:|] Nuckles, . . . .I don't think I'm man enough for a stock like that!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top