Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2016 2:46:43 PM EDT
Maybe I just noticed bad drives the older I get......but it just seems like every time I get out around town, or on the highways.....the majority of the people only care about what's happening about 50ft in front of their vehicle, and that's it. They aren't paying attention to what's going on around them at all.....

I'm always checking my mirrors, looking way behind me....looking way ahead up on the highway.  I keep a pretty good idea of all of the other cars around me at all times.....is that abnormal?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:47:41 PM EDT
[#1]
What percentage of drivers are female?
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:48:49 PM EDT
[#2]
I would say in the 70-80% range. I dodge multiple idiots every time I leave the house. Almost all that I get a good glimpse of are on their phones.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:49:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Maybe I just noticed bad drives the older I get......but it just seems like every time I get out around town, or on the highways.....the majority of the people only care about what's happening about 50ft in front of their vehicle, and that's it. They aren't paying attention to what's going on around them at all.....

I'm always checking my mirrors, looking way behind me....looking way ahead up on the highway.  I keep a pretty good idea of all of the other cars around me at all times.....is that abnormal?
View Quote

Good drivers are hard to find.  For most people a car is just a thing that they get into to take them from A to B and pay it no special attention whatsoever.  They pay it and the skills associated with driving it the same amount of attention they do their TV remote, if that.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:49:36 PM EDT
[#4]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I would say in the 70-80% range. I dodge multiple idiots every time I leave the house. Almost all that I get a good glimpse of are on their phones.
View Quote

Sounds about right.

It boggles the mind...

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:49:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Everyone but me. Including OP, he can't drive either.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:50:41 PM EDT
[#6]
motorcycle rider here.  I'd say the vast majority of them.  seems about 5% of the folks on the road seem like they aren't a danger
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:51:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Probably the same percentage thats busy finger fucking their smart phone while doing 80mph on the highway......or sitting at a green light holding everyone else up
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:51:38 PM EDT
[#8]
OP: never ever visit DC; or at least don't drive here.  Washington, D.C. has the highest rate of car crashes in the USA.

It's horrible around here.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:51:56 PM EDT
[#9]
All the ones without internet access.
Everybody on the internet is an awesome driver, so that must be the key.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]
I pay pretty close attention, not as much as I used to though. Now I have a smart phone and I like to surf the web a lot. I think I should get a tablet because I wouldn't have to look at it as closely and I think it might be easier to drive then.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:52:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.....I know what you are saying. I think most (not all) women drivers only concentrate on the bumper of the car in front of them....and that's it.

Or they concentrate on their cell phones.....
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:53:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Probably the same percentage thats busy finger fucking their smart phone while doing 80mph on the highway......or sitting at a green light holding everyone else up
View Quote

'Round here, I blow the horn when the light turns green.  Every time.  

No matter what, there is always some startled idiot who needs a reminder to put the fucking phone down and drive.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:58:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

No matter what, there is always some startled idiot who needs a reminder to put the fucking phone down and drive.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, if that happens to me, and I did not miss the changing light, I am going to sit through that light. I have had someone do that. The constant honking from their horn was music to my ears. I just turned my head so I could smile and wave at them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:13:26 PM EDT
[#14]
A whole lot if them.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:24:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Just on the drive home today...

Waiting for opposing traffic to clear out to turn left at a green light. I start to go. Luckily I see something to my right and slow down. Big ass bro-dozer plows through the red light. Would have fucked me up.

Not five minutes later, left turn lane. There is a left/straight lane to my right. A Somali woman (hijab and all) driving a minivan turns left with me and drifts into my lane. If I didn't slow down she would have side-swiped me.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:25:31 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm constantly amazed at how many drivers and pedestrians don't see a BUS    

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:25:46 PM EDT
[#17]
87% of course
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:35:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Yep.....I know what you are saying. I think most (not all) women drivers only concentrate on the bumper of the car in front of them....and that's it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just the other day, I was going to change lanes to the left.  I looked, plenty of room.  Signaled, watching my mirror and I see the car in the next lane is being driven by a woman who seems to be staring at her fingers.  I start to merge over and I notice she is speeding up and closing the gap.  Still plenty of room, I keep merging over, she keeps closing the gap.  I'm keeping an eye on her the whole time just in case she is completely not paying attention and I need to swerve out of the way.  At the last minute she looks up, slams the brakes on and honks her horn at me as if I did something wrong.  SMH.  

On my way to work, there is a section of freeway that has a carpool only lane on the right.  The carpool lane ends and then my exit is shortly after it.  So there will be a line of cars driving along in the center lane, and as the carpool lane ends and the stripe turns dotted everyone taking the exit signals and starts moving over, then over one more to take the exit.  Inevitably, someone in the back changes lanes early and guns it to pass a couple cars on the right as we are merging over.  Everyone has their signal on and is moving over, yet they just *have* to pass everyone on the right.  And worst of all, they usually only get one or two cars ahead before they are stopped by the cars already merged over, now I can't merge because this dumbass is sitting right next to me and I have to slow down and merge behind them.  Every... single... time... it's a woman.

Oh yeah the other thing that always happens is I get tailgated when in heavy traffic, as if I could possibly go any faster.  I just slow down a bit and leave plenty of space ahead of me.  Later when I turn into the left turn lane the person will speed ahead and slam on their brakes behind the next person, as if it was a big surprise that there was *another* car on this road too! Almost always is a woman.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:41:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Focused on their phones for sure
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:44:50 PM EDT
[#20]
Probably 90%, at least part of the time.

I decided to glance at every driver I passed one day and 2 of three were "multitasking", easy.
Every single one of them thought they were better at it than the average, guaranteed.

Until ANYTHING unexpected happens during that second or two they aren't watching the road.

Get a frikkin' Bluetooth headset and at least keep both hands free and eyes on the road.
There's auditory exclusion/blindness, but still....
Morons.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:46:11 PM EDT
[#21]
I see it all the time...most days on the Interstate people will run right up on a cruiser when you can clearly see them in some cases nearly a mile away....nope instead they continue flying down the road until the cop is literally at hoods length until they notice then you will see the tail lights....God Dam there is a whole world out there beyond your box
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:46:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Everyone but me is an IDIOT on the road
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:47:12 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
motorcycle rider here.  I'd say the vast majority of them.  seems about 5% of the folks on the road seem like they aren't a danger
View Quote

Riding a motorcycle gives you a great insight to how unconnected most drivers are to their surroundings.  They're like lumbering elephants with blinders on.

Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:49:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:50:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Riding a motorcycle gives you a great insight to how unconnected most drivers are to their surroundings.  They're like lumbering elephants with blinders on.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

QFT. I cut my riding teeth in the Baltimore-DC area. 50% oblivious, 50% actively trying to kill you.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:51:29 PM EDT
[#26]
I drive a fire engine for a living. A disturbing number of folks on the road are busy not paying attention to things which can (and sometimes do) kill them.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:55:47 PM EDT
[#27]
I think it goes through phases; there will be a few days, weeks, or months where it's almost like these fucking idiots had a meeting.  

The latest phenomenon I've been seeing?  Turning from the travel lane when there's a fucking turning lane.  You can almost sense these mother fuckers when you're sitting in the turning lane waiting for the arrow, light turns green and they swing into the column of turning cars.

A week or so ago, I was sitting waiting for the green light.  The instant the light turned green the asshole behind me started laying on the horn.  I wanted to get out and kick in their fucking window, but decided pulling through the intersection at 5mph was better.  I'm sure it was a case of fucking with their phone and when they just so happened to look up the light was green so they assumed it had been green for a while, despite it only being a 1/4 second.

Just this morning had some moron almost side swipe me.  It was one of those asshole morons who matches the speed of the cars around them, despite just flying up to me.  They stayed beside me for a while, must have forgotten I was there, then I see the blinker.  I said to myself, "I bet this dumb fuck forgot I'm beside him alrea....HOLY FUCK".  Slam on the brakes and lay on the horn, then he flips me off.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 3:58:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Houston drivers
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:09:29 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Around here I see just as many men driving with no damn clue.

I see men, women, young, old, driving nice cars, driving junkers, driving work vehicles, all with their heads up their asses.

It's probably always been that way to point but cell phones have made it much worse.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 4:15:08 PM EDT
[#30]
Tag for when I pull over.
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 6:12:27 PM EDT
[#31]
85%

Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration figures for commercial tractor-trailer vs automobile accidents put 85% of all such accidents as the fault of the automobile driver for being negligent and causing the accident.  I imagine that the figure of 85% of drivers being negligent applies to all their driving situations, not just with large trucks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top