Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/31/2005 7:04:45 AM EDT
So where does a population of roughly half a million people go now that their homes and places of work have been completely destroyed and show no signs of being rebuilt anytime soon? With the housing market already dangerously close to topping out, where are all these residents going to go now?.....
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:05:31 AM EDT
[#1]
Refugee camps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:05:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I heard Alabama has room...

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:06:02 AM EDT
[#3]
We are raiding and deporting all the illegal immigrants, then giving their homes here to the N.O. residents.

Okay, not real, but is an idea.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:07:48 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Um no........Detroit maybe?.....surely it would be cheaper to rebuild Detroit.....plus the benefit of lots of high paying union jobs up there.......
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Two words:  tent cities.  
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:13:55 AM EDT
[#6]
I think I would just have to pick a city somewhere away from the destruction, preferably one with friends or family nearby and start a new life.  Once the insurance money came in, I'd be okay.  It'd be tough, but I'd be okay.  No way in Hell I'd ever live in a refugee camp.

Then if they ever did get the area I used to live habitable again, I'd sell my land to someone willing to keep living there.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:25 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
We are raiding and deporting all the illegal immigrants, then giving their homes here to the N.O. residents.

Okay, not real, but is an idea.  

Heck the illegal immigrants will at least work
No doubt in my mind who should get deported.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:16:50 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I think I would just have to pick a city somewhere away from the destruction, preferably one with friends or family nearby and start a new life.  Once the insurance money came in, I'd be okay.  It'd be tough, but I'd be okay.  No way in Hell I'd ever live in a refugee camp.

How many of the ones that had to stay have any insurance at all?  Hell are the insurance companies even gonna pay, or are they gonna beg for a taxpayer funded bailout?(on top of the taxpayer funded disaster funds that people are gonna fraudulently claim just as they did in FL!!)
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:18:20 AM EDT
[#9]
Astrodome. Well at least for those in the Superdome that's the plan. Tent cities for the majority, I'm sure.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:22:20 AM EDT
[#10]

I'm sure a huge proportion of them will end up staying with family or friends in the local area or in other states.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:24:53 AM EDT
[#11]
<TINFOIL>Fema Camps</TINFOIL>
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:25:47 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Um no........Detroit maybe?.....surely it would be cheaper to rebuild Detroit.....plus the benefit of lots of high paying union jobs up there......

Not too many high paying Union jobs left in Detroit.  It just made the top of the list as the poorest large city in the USA.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:27:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a friend who, with his wife, JUST bought a house in NOLA...he and his parents are staying in Lafayette.  He works at a bank in NO.  He has no idea what he's going to do.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:28:52 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
How many of the ones that had to stay have any insurance at all?  Hell are the insurance companies even gonna pay, or are they gonna beg for a taxpayer funded bailout?(on top of the taxpayer funded disaster funds that people are gonna fraudulently claim just as they did in FL!!)

According to one talking head on the News yesterday, "Virtually everyone" in New Orleans has flood insurance.  I have insurance.  It's bad for the people who don't, but that's what insurance is for.  If they have nothing and no insurance, the government and charity will help some, but it's no substitute.

There is no excuse for not having insurance to cover hurricane damage if you live less than 50 miles from the the coast in a hurricane-prone area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top