Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2006 10:11:46 PM EDT
I was hurt on the job as a firefighter and now the doctor is telling me I will not be returning and now I have to find something new to do ...With all my training I really dont want to have to retrain to do something new ..now I am looking for a job, I am a Firefighter Emt Fire inspector with 12 years Military exp. with one tour in Iraq ....just looking to see what my fellow brothers that may have been hurt on the job and can not return are doing now ...I need to find something pretty fast workers comp has cut me off because the doc said I was MMI (will not improve anymore) money is going to run out fast ...Thanks to anyone that can help
Link Posted: 10/23/2006 10:41:40 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I was hurt on the job as a firefighter and now the doctor is telling me I will not be returning and now I have to find something new to do ...With all my training I really dont want to have to retrain to do something new ..now I am looking for a job, I am a Firefighter Emt Fire inspector with 12 years Military exp. with one tour in Iraq ....just looking to see what my fellow brothers that may have been hurt on the job and can not return are doing now ...I need to find something pretty fast workers comp has cut me off because the doc said I was MMI (will not improve anymore) money is going to run out fast ...Thanks to anyone that can help

Damn that sucks. I never gave it much thought as to "what if" because I really can't picture myself doing anything different.

Does your department offer a "reeducation" benifit to place you in a different line of work since it was on the job? How about just staying as an Inspector? Or possibly working for an insurance company as an investigator? I heard they make bookoo bucks.

Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:53:56 AM EDT
[#2]
I really never thought much about "what if" as well and I guess that is why I am where I am now ...as far as my department making me fire inspector well that slot is filled and there is no light duty for them to put me at ....   I know people have told me to look at insurance companies and I am but I am not finding much and I am trying to find stuff in Fema or other Gov. jobs ....   It sucks you do as the traning to do one thing and then that one thing I cant do ......  Just stressing out a little here
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:17:18 AM EDT
[#3]
What do your chief and union folks have to say?

I'm a little suprised that they'd just leave you out to dry and say thanks for the years of service.  

If you can no longer do your job the workmans comp carrier should be required to pay for vocational assistance and job retraining.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:37:13 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I'm a little suprised that they'd just leave you out to dry and say thanks for the years of service.  

If you can no longer do your job the workmans comp carrier should be required to pay for vocational assistance and job retraining.

Well the chief is still trying to work on it but the doctors says that I can no longer firefight and I can not lift anything more then 10lbs so they can have my there just for the fact if I stay behind on a call and someone comes in the station and I can tohelp them in any way So they are still looking into what they can do but as of my talk with him yesterday it is not looking good ....They are looking into the retraining but from what workers comp has told me that they pay 350 a week and that will prob. be the way I will go but I would like to stay in the same field ...

And I know I am going to have to do what I have to, to keep my family and house...I thought if there were any guys or girls that have been hurt  on the job what they are doing now
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 9:56:21 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well the chief is still trying to work on it but the doctors says that I can no longer firefight and I can not lift anything more then 10lbs so they can have my there just for the fact if I stay behind on a call and someone comes in the station and I can tohelp them in any way So they are still looking into what they can do but as of my talk with him yesterday it is not looking good ....They are looking into the retraining but from what workers comp has told me that they pay 350 a week and that will prob. be the way I will go but I would like to stay in the same field ...

And I know I am going to have to do what I have to, to keep my family and house...I thought if there were any guys or girls that have been hurt  on the job what they are doing now

Could you more fully describe your accident and injuries?  If you can lift no more than 10 pounds then working as a Fire Investigator is probably not an option.

I am a State Certified Fire Investigator, I have to lift more than 10 pounds at a scene to remove debris, burned items, collect evidence.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 10:34:59 AM EDT
[#6]
I was on a ems call and hurt my shoulder lifting a PT. I have have 3 surgeries on it ....now as far as the 10lbs I think that was the doctor being safe I know I can lift more then that I go back to him in a month and I have to have him get that off my chart ...If i have to suck up the pain for it to change with the doc I will do that so he will give me some more room to do more ....   As of a few weeks ago it was the 1st time that he said to anyone that I would not be getting better I know it will never be the same but damn he wrote me off as I will never get better I will keep working on making my shoulder stronger so I don't see the 10lb restriction being there forever
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:42:31 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I was on a ems call and hurt my shoulder lifting a PT. I have have 3 surgeries on it ....now as far as the 10lbs I think that was the doctor being safe I know I can lift more then that I go back to him in a month and I have to have him get that off my chart ...If i have to suck up the pain for it to change with the doc I will do that so he will give me some more room to do more ....   As of a few weeks ago it was the 1st time that he said to anyone that I would not be getting better I know it will never be the same but damn he wrote me off as I will never get better I will keep working on making my shoulder stronger so I don't see the 10lb restriction being there forever

I would heedthe doc's advice for now, at least.  Although you may feel you can improve that lifting limit, allow yourself time to heal up.  

since this was a 'line of duty' injury, have you looked in to other areas for assistance?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 3:53:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Recently we have a guy that works in EMS and FF sales coming by and supplying us with new equipment. He is a former fire fighter. Just a thought.

What about EMS/FF teaching at an academy or an EMT program at a community college?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:32:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Recently we have a guy that works in EMS and FF sales coming by and supplying us with new equipment. He is a former fire fighter. Just a thought.

What about EMS/FF teaching at an academy or an EMT program at a community college?

Both excellent ideas.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:41:43 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Thats kinda of what I was thinking, there are a lot of former FF that are salesmen for Pierce, etc.  Teaching might also be an option.

I'm really surprised that you are being left out to dry like that, we FF are generally a pretty tight brotherhood.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Damn! a shoulder injury that bad to end your career?!?
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 4:52:17 PM EDT
[#12]
The department dosnt have any administrative jobs they could put you in?  What about emergency management or dispatcher?  I also like the academy idea...

If not, get lined up for worker's compensation benefits--that is what it is there for.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:01:44 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
The department dosnt have any administrative jobs they could put you in?  What about emergency management or dispatcher?  I also like the academy idea...

If not, get lined up for worker's compensation benefits--that is what it is there for.

Completely off topic.  Your avatar?

"OKLAHOMA!! OKLAHOMA OKLAHOMA!!!!!"

TRG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:14:02 PM EDT
[#14]
Well since the doctor said I was MMI that has stopped workers comp as far as paying me but they still cover medical not like that is going to help me now ...
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:17:48 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

are you fulltime?

not tryin to come off like an ass so if i sound like it i apologize..

dont you guys have a disability pension?

if i get hurt on the job its 66 and 2 thrids tax free...at curent pay rate
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:20:40 PM EDT
[#16]
you can also file a disability claim aginst workmans comp..

i did for a shoulder injury also.
got an good chunk of change " about half years salery...

not alot but it helped.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:26:58 PM EDT
[#17]
to anwser your question I was not fulltime .....the part of going over seas kinda messed it up ...I was almost done with medic school when I went to Iraq so the next slot was fill while I was gone so I was part time when I got back working 60 hours a week at the department so it was full time......workers comp paid me 66 2/3% but now there is nothng because of the MMI and because of the injury I could not start medic school up again and for the people that went through that class know's how bad it sucked and to get almost done with it sucks as well .....
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 5:44:46 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Sales would be good, as you actually have experience using what you are selling. Call some equipment providers and see what they have to say.

Dispatch would also be good, and actually having experience being on a scene im shure you would be a top candidate. It would also be great to still be helping with actual emergencies.
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:00:58 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
to answer your question I was not fulltime .....the part of going over seas kinda messed it up ...I was almost done with medic school when I went to Iraq so the next slot was fill while I was gone so I was part time when I got back working 60 hours a week at the department so it was full time......workers comp paid me 66 2/3% but now there is nothng because of the MMI and because of the injury I could not start medic school up again and for the people that went through that class know's how bad it sucked and to get almost done with it sucks as well .....

all right that makes more sense then..

you can still sue Workman's comp for a settlement..

3 surgerys you should do pretty good i would say..

as far as what to do after man i am not sure with the lifting restrictions...

any way hope it all works out for ya bud..
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:03:59 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
to anwser your question I was not fulltime .....the part of going over seas kinda messed it up ...I was almost done with medic school when I went to Iraq so the next slot was fill while I was gone so I was part time when I got back working 60 hours a week at the department so it was full time......workers comp paid me 66 2/3% but now there is nothng because of the MMI and because of the injury I could not start medic school up again and for the people that went through that class know's how bad it sucked and to get almost done with it sucks as well .....

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?  I don't know you, your department, your chief, or even teh extent of the injury, so I would like to know a little more.

You were working P/T for an FD or for a medic service?

You are a certified FF?

You were working 60 hours per week as a P/T FF?

Does your department run an A/B/C shift?

You missed a fulltime position, but they had enough work available for a part-time position at 60 hours per week?

What does MMI stand for?

Something just doesn't seem right.  If you are working P/T for a department at 60 hours per week, and they are still using you for standby at the station, then why do they not have enough work for you to do in an adminstrative/dispatch/office capacity?

A certified FF with EMT skills should be able to be retrained, especially for a line-of-duty injury.

I don't mean to be abrupt with the questions, just trying to get the whole picture in order to give you better advice.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 6:57:52 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Can you clarify a couple of things for me?  I don't know you, your department, your chief, or even teh extent of the injury, so I would like to know a little more.

I was working pt for a FD we do both

You are a certified FF?

Yes Professional firefighter EMT Fire Inspector

Yes and that is a light week I could work 3 24 hour shifts in a week and then run off duty calls

Yes they do

You missed a fulltime position, but they had enough work available for a part-time position at 60 hours per week?

Sucks doesn't it ...Township doesn't want to hire anymore ...why should they they get us cheaper

What does MMI stand for?

Max Medical Improvement

Something just doesn't seem right.  If you are working P/T for a department at 60 hours per week, and they are still using you for standby at the station, then why do they not have enough work for you to do in an adminstrative/dispatch/office capacity?

They dont want to retrain me to do dispatch our dispacth does fire and police.....They dont want me to be the only one at the station and someone do a walk in and they might get sued ...Its what they told me I know BSSSSSS[/u]

A certified FF with EMT skills should be able to be retrained, especially for a line-of-duty injury.

I don't mean to be abrupt with the questions, just trying to get the whole picture in order to give you better advice.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/24/2006 7:08:20 PM EDT
[#22]
If you weren't part of a union then I'd say your next step should be to get a labor and or disability attorney.
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 5:51:28 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I was working pt for a FD we do both

You are a certified FF?

Yes Professional firefighter EMT Fire Inspector

Yes and that is a light week I could work 3 24 hour shifts in a week and then run off duty calls

Yes they do

Sucks doesn't it ...Township doesn't want to hire anymore ...why should they they get us cheaper

What does MMI stand for?

Max Medical Improvement

They dont want to retrain me to do dispatch our dispacth does fire and police.....They dont want me to be the only one at the station and someone do a walk in and they might get sued ...Its what they told me I know BSSSSSS[/u]

TRG

Thank you for your detailed answer, that helps me undersand the issue.

I am assuming you have fire fighting experience, but have not worked in the field long enough to have a 'reputation' that might be transferred in to a position as an instructor? A training officer?  A safety officer?

TRG
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:08:20 AM EDT
[#24]
Well Ihave been a fire fighter for 6 years now and will be looking into instructor job as well as all other fields with the fire service ... I just hate not to have a job using the skills that I have trained for and love to do .... It will be a big change in doing a job that would be safe and boring
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 7:35:40 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Well Ihave been a fire fighter for 6 years now and will be looking into instructor job as well as all other fields with the fire service ... I just hate not to have a job using the skills that I have trained for and love to do .... It will be a big change in doing a job that would be safe and boring

I dunno about the 'safe and boring' aspect.

Both as an educator/instructor you would find yourself challeneged each day to present the material in a way that better served the firefighters/students.  

Asa training/safety officer you would still be required on scene many times per week.  Assisteing with an EOC, hazmat awareness, on-scene command, etc.

I doubt it would be safe/boring at all.

TRG
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 8:51:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Dont get me wrong as long as I can stay in this field I would love to I am talking about getting a desk job ...I know I would like training other firefighters.....Just dont know if I can take a desk job
Link Posted: 10/25/2006 2:30:02 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
If you weren't part of a union then I'd say your next step should be to get a labor and or disability attorney.

+1

Good luck Bro.
Link Posted: 10/27/2006 9:14:50 PM EDT
[#28]
I don't know if I missed something, but did you get a second opinion from another doctor??  I herniated a couple disks and my one doc said no more FD then I went to a surgeon and he said to take my time with my rehab and see how I felt.  I feel good so he released me and signed off for the FD.  I feel for ya bro, I couldn't imagine not rolling out on calls.  In answer to your question about employment, some of the retired guys have from area departments have gone to work as public safety consultants for the school districts, hospitals and major corporations to run safety training and troubleshoot hazards. Good Luck brother!
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 7:35:19 AM EDT
[#29]
Get your arson investigator, and investigate arson.  
Link Posted: 10/28/2006 3:57:23 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

In Texas, AI requires LEO cert as well as the fire investigator training.

I have the FI cert, but no LEO certs.  

TRG
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:35:42 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

In Texas, AI requires LEO cert as well as the fire investigator training.

I have the FI cert, but no LEO certs.  

TRG

I think in Ohio the require LEO cert as well I have my fire inspectors cert ....I am looking into it..... I still need to find something fast I have my resumes out but nothing yet.....    I am going to go to a diff. doctor to see what they have to say about my shoulder.......
Link Posted: 10/29/2006 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#32]
Here is my resume that one of the ohio guys helped me out with

xxxxx x xxxxxxxxx III

xxx xxxxxx xxxxxx Dr. · Copley, OH 44321 · Home: (330) xxxxxxxx · [email protected]

Objective

Position as a Fire Inspector
Experience

xxxx TOWNSHIP FIRE DEPARTMENT

September 2001 - Present Firefighter
Emergency Medical Technician
Fire Inspector xxxx xxxxx, OH

Earned Professional Firefighters during my first year of employment

·
Earned EMT Certification during first year of employment

·
Earned Fire Inspector Certification

·
As a Fire Inspector, examined current buildings and new construction for code compliance

·
Conducted BFD ‘Learn Not To Burn’ Fire Safety Programs at local elementary schools

ARMY NATIONAL GUARD

August, 1994 - Present 19K Armor Crewman xxxx, OH

·
Trained and Certified as Driver, Loader & Gunner of M1A1 Abrams Tanks

·
Provided relief during multiple National Disaster Situations

·
Stationed in Iraq Oct. 2003 – Jan. 2005 as Infantry – Search Missions and Convoy Security

·
Provided Security for Summer Olympics in Atlanta, GA

·
Awarded medals and ribbons for:
×1 Army Achievement Medal
×2 War On Terrorism Service Medal
×3 National Defense Service Medal
×4 Overseas Deployment
×5 Reserve Activation

Education & Training

AKRON UNIVERSITY

2005 Fire Inspector Certification Akron, OH

Coursework meets NFPA 1031 Standard for Fire Safety Inspector.
Education & Training (continued)

AKRON GENERAL MEDICAL CENTER

Emergency Medical Technician Certification
Akron, OH

Coursework meets U.S. DOL BOS 29-2041 Standard for Emergency Medical Technician.

AKRON UNIVERSITY

Professional Fire Fighter Certification
Akron, OH

Coursework meets NFPA 1000, 1001 Standards for Fire Fighter Professional.

AKRON UNIVERSITY

HazMat Awareness & HazMat Operations
Akron, OH

Coursework meets NFPA 471, 472, 473 Standards for HazMat Awareness and Operations.

·
Professional Firefighter Certification at University of Akron

·
Emergency Medical Technician Certification at Akron General Medical Center

·
Fire Inspector Certification at University of Akron

·
Multiple Vehicle Extraction Classes at Ohio Fire Academy

·
Combat Life Saver Class, Fort Bragg, NC.

·
Served at the FDNY World Trade Center Memorial

·
Currently Serving 12th Year in the Ohio National Guard

·
Leader of Combat Missions in Iraq

·
HazMat Awareness & HazMat Operations Certifications

Skills

·
Maintaining Personnel Skill Levels

·
Scheduling, Training, and Generating Reports

·
Extinguisher Tracking/Replacement/Re-servicing, Conducting Follow-Up Inspections

·
Providing Diverse Fire, Medical and Structural Support.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top