Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 8:28:30 PM EST
Poll coming...

Discuss, and please explain why and what you have lived thru.

SGatr15
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:30:46 PM EST
menopause.................I knew it was coming on the Mrs, got to be worse than any of mother natures diasters
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:32:01 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:39:09 PM EST
Yeah...well, there's no planning for an EarthQuake.....

Sgtra51
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:44:14 PM EST
Locusts for $500, Alex.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:47:42 PM EST
As a lifelong resident of Southern Florida, I've seen a few hurricanes. I KNOW when a storm is coming, and can take action in preperation.
I'll take Hurricanes over earthquakes anyday.

Biblical Locusts...dont even wanna go there
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:50:56 PM EST
Earthquakes ain't shit.

You can plan for fires.

Locusts? Can you say Raid?

Now tornadoes and hurricanes!?! That's some nasty stuff. It looks like carpet bombing followed by severe flooding. How the hell do you guys afford insurance?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:51:19 PM EST
It is the one you are in, and unprepared for. Regardless of the actuall disaster, they are all devestating to anyone caught in them.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:53:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Sgtra51

Wrongo. You can do plenty of planning for the minor 7.1's and such. Attach stuff to walls, get latching cabinets, stockpile water, flashlights, some non-perishable food (Twinkies come to mind), relocate heavy stuff from high places, anchor the house to the foundation, install automatic gas shutoff valves, the list goes on. Granted, all of this ain't going to be of much use when the 12.0 hits, but I put that in category of getting hit with the giant comet/meteor.

CW, veteran of both major SF Bay area quakes.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:53:58 PM EST

Is it to late to add one?

VOLCANO

I was here when Mt. StHelens blew it's top. And even though I was clear over here in Montana, it still dropped enough ash on my little hamlet to completely shut it down and creat a small survival situation.

It was awsome. (and thank god we didn't get hit like people in Wash state did)

Yellowstone is a "Supervolcano" so they say, and when it goes it will kill everyone in a three hundred mile area they say. And will screw up most of the middle part of the country. As well as possibly creat a nuclear winter. (Pronounced nukular here in Mt LOL)

And, .... it's been shifting and moving at increased rates the last couple of years.

I am stocking up on fried chicken and running shoes. LOL

Zen

"This is my rifle, there are many like it, but this one is mine"
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:55:31 PM EST
Fire, at least Cali style...

You can protect your house against a hurricane or earthquake with proper design & precautions.

An uncontrollable wildfire will wreck almost anything....
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:01:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By Cold_Warrior:

Originally Posted By sgtar15:

Sgtra51

Wrongo. You can do plenty of planning for the minor 7.1's and such. Attach stuff to walls, get latching cabinets, stockpile water, flashlights, some non-perishable food (Twinkies come to mind), relocate heavy stuff from high places, anchor the house to the foundation, install automatic gas shutoff valves, the list goes on. Granted, all of this ain't going to be of much use when the 12.0 hits, but I put that in category of getting hit with the giant comet/meteor.

CW, veteran of both major SF Bay area quakes.

Earthquakes have got to be the worst as long as it is a big one. You can prepare for them with the steps you stated but that does not mean you are really ready for them. There is no advanced warning to mentally prepare and there is a very good chance you won't be home (at work, on the road, etc) which means you might be totally separated from family and friends.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:45:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:47:05 AM EST
The wifes PMS..............................................
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:57:42 AM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
menopause.................I knew it was coming on the Mrs, got to be worse than any of mother natures diasters

Link Posted: 9/18/2004 2:58:44 AM EST
Tornados.

Earthquakes ain't shit, I lived through the Sylmar quake in '71 - 6.6, the Whittier Narrows quake in 71 - 5.9 and the Northridge quake in 94 - 6.7.
You are only fucked in an eathquake if you are in a highrise, on or under a freeway overpass or live in San Fagsisco.

I fought wildland fires, you can leave a fire long before it becomes a problem.

You have what, days of advanced notice for a hurricane.

TORNADOS, now those are the motherfuckers!
I went through the May 7th 99 Oklahoma City tornado.
Fuck tornados!
You have almost no warning, you don't know where the fuckers are going or how long they are going to last.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 12:33:43 AM EST

Originally Posted By KA3B:
Tornados.

Earthquakes ain't shit, I lived through the Sylmar quake in '71 - 6.6, the Whittier Narrows quake in 71 - 5.9 and the Northridge quake in 94 - 6.7.
You are only fucked in an eathquake if you are in a highrise, on or under a freeway overpass or live in San Fagsisco.

I fought wildland fires, you can leave a fire long before it becomes a problem.

You have what, days of advanced notice for a hurricane.

TORNADOS, now those are the motherfuckers!
I went through the May 7th 99 Oklahoma City tornado.
Fuck tornados!
You have almost no warning, you don't know where the fuckers are going or how long they are going to last.

Note to self: Do not hang with KA3B.

CW
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:12:15 AM EST
Earthquake for sure.

Almost anything else you get some warning and can get the hell out of the way.

Earthquakes are way too unpredictable. You can have a totally up to code structure get wacked and down the street some 50 year old hovel rides it out just fine.

I was in Escondido at the time of the Northridge quake. Hell of a ride even that far away and when I turned on the AM radio and NONE of the L.A. stations were on and then I turned on the 2 Meter rig and none of the primary Orange County machines were on the air I really did think for a few minutes that most of the PRK HAD fallen into the Pacific.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:28:00 AM EST
Lets talk about Locusts a bit. In one of the largest Locust infestations in the 1960's Locusts covered over 1/3 of the earths surface. Norther Africa around the Mid East, through Turkey and ending up in
Italy. It doesn"t sound scarry until you see the Photo's. It looks like black clouds flying around. While is doesn't destroy Buildings each Locust eats 200 times their weight every day.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:39:04 AM EST
Hurricane means "surfs up!" on the east coast.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:42:09 AM EST
You know, it's funny how the guys in the east say earthquakes are worse and the guys out west say hurricanes are worse. Not funny like ha-ha, funny like hummmmmm...
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:43:58 AM EST
hurricanes and tornados
both usally come hand and hand down here,
yes you can pre-pare for a hurricane,, but they to at times arent very predicable,,look at the last few that have hit us or evan IVAN.
before a cane even hits you have tornado's ahead of the storm and behind it, we had 4 touch down here during francis and a couple during charlie, thats how i lost my trucka nd wifes car,, and our roof!!! also,,, you have the storm surge with a cane,, and they last longer,,tornados are what ..a few minutes to a hour or so ,,its not like it sits there for 24 hrs pounding you into the ground.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:44:01 AM EST
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:44:48 AM EST
Experienced earthquakes (never more than a 6.0, IIRC), countless typoons and hurricanes, tornadoes, one major forest fire and a couple of moderate to seroius floods. Don't care to experience any more.

Having just gotten the power back after riding out Ivan I have a real dislike of hurricanes. We were very lucky. Very little damage to our home. Yesterday, we went looking for friends in Navarre (close to Pensacola) . Others were not so fortunate.

Eddie
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:26:50 AM EST
Without a doubt: flooding.

AB
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:33:44 AM EST
Earthquake, because they usually come with no warning, they cover a wide area, they can easily damage a strong concrete building while a hurricane probably would not affect it, and they can cause shifting ground, which can also destroy buildings. Earthquakes can also start fires (broken gas pipes, etc, and no rain to put them out like a hurricane would).

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:43:26 AM EST

SGtar15
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:09:04 AM EST
Tornados, there is little to no warning to take evasive action.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:52:18 AM EST
I guess im confused whats with the hype of hurricanes earthquakes and tornados like 4 years ago they wernt as big of a deal as they are now?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:54:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By operatorerror:
Earthquakes ain't shit.

You can plan for fires.

Locusts? Can you say Raid?

Now tornadoes and hurricanes!?! That's some nasty stuff. It looks like carpet bombing followed by severe flooding. How the hell do you guys afford insurance?

I was in a quake where close to 10,000 were killed.... you very rarely see numbers like that anywhere else.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:10:32 PM EST

Originally Posted By Paul:
You left out a Democratic President ... guess that's not natural huh?

Voted huricane - lots of wide spread distruction and they hit every year or two ... or was that two or three a year?

No joke. B Clinton was responsible for USS Cole, Waco, OKC bombing, 2 embassies, WTC 1, 9-11. Did I leave anything out? Even without including the selling of ICBM technology to China, or the numerous people he (may) have had wacked, BC did cause more damage to the US than any recent natural disaster.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:09:37 PM EST
Well, if you're judging by the amount of damage that can be done in the shortest amount of time, I'd say Earthquake.

However, most property in the US can stand up to most of the earthquakes occurr. I'd say fire would be the next thing.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:17:20 PM EST
Flooding-- last night I could almost reach out and touch the west branch of the Susquhanna river the town would be a wreck until Christmas if it wasn't for the flood wall that some people bitched about.
Top Top