Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/6/2010 5:59:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 10:38:36 AM EDT by Raizo_Sekai]
I have tried a few perm markers and after use they seem to just come off, what do you use to mark your Magpul PMags?

Which color for Blk Pmag

ETA: Got silver, works great.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:00:50 PM EDT
Get a Testor's paint pen from the local model/hobby shop. They come in several colors and it's paint, not ink.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:01:23 PM EDT
Originally Posted By ARJJ:
Get a Testor's paint pen from the local model/hobby shop. They come in several colors and it's paint, not ink.

Same except I use the Crayola brand from Wal-Mart
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:14:30 PM EDT
10-4 Thanks
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:15:57 PM EDT
Never had any problems with just a plain old Sharpie on my FDE Pmags...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:17:43 PM EDT
When I open them, they will be dipped in the blood of my enemies.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:07 PM EDT
I don't.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:18:49 PM EDT
Silver sharpies work great on dark textured plastic; should be good on pmags also.
They're essentially paint pens AFAIKT
Dunno about gun solvent resistance...
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:20:42 PM EDT
Why do you write on your magazines?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:20 PM EDT
Because Chris and Travis do it duh.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:32 PM EDT
Originally Posted By GseriesFal:

My "SHTF" mags are labeled as to what is inside them. I have a mix of 62 grain stuff and 75 grain stuff. If I'm in a fire fight it won't really matter, but since I threw away the boxes and what not, it's the best way to identify what I have loaded up. Sharpie works fine here.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:22:54 PM EDT
I don't own any PMAGS.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:23:33 PM EDT

gotta say this. Just seems easier to have different boxes/ colors for different loads
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:24:10 PM EDT
Originally Posted By 70satvert:

My "SHTF" mags are labeled as to what is inside them. I have a mix of 62 grain stuff and 75 grain stuff. If I'm in a fire fight it won't really matter, but since I threw away the boxes and what not, it's the best way to identify what I have loaded up. Sharpie works fine here.

You know they come in multiple colors, right?
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:24:27 PM EDT

I do it to track down issues with mags. Also, to distinguish what mag is for what duty (defense, range, duty, etc.)
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:26:37 PM EDT
I use blue and red tape.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:28:01 PM EDT
Sharpie, they haven't worn off yet for me.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:29:31 PM EDT
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

This
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:30:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Stegadeth:

I do it to track down issues with mags. Also, to distinguish what mag is for what duty (defense, range, duty, etc.)

this, and my mags tend to walk away all by themselves during classes.

BUT, the PRIMARY reason is because I drink the Magpul kool-aid and chris and travis do it.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:32:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By distributor_of_pain:
Originally Posted By 70satvert:

You know they come in multiple colors, right?

No way.....

It's easier for me to just write what load is in the mag, on the mag. For example, TAP 75, 75 BTHP, M855, etc...instead of making some damn color coded chart or trying to remember. Do what works for you.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:32:47 PM EDT

Like has been said, it's easier to remember that PMAg #4 was giving me shit at the range than keep track of what pouch I shoved one of 6 FDE PMags in. Also it helps to keep track of which PMags are mine when I have shooting buddies who also have FDE PMags.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:39:40 PM EDT

To keep track of them in case one starts to go tits up.

If you took a class or two you might learn things like that.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:41:09 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:

To keep track of them in case one starts to go tits up.

If you took a class or two you might learn things like that.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:22:43 PM EDT
Red electrical tape and a sharpie. Not very high tech, but it works for me.
Excuse the shitty photo.

Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:24:44 PM EDT
Originally Posted By optimus:
Never had any problems with just a plain old Sharpie on my FDE Pmags...

this
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 7:32:08 PM EDT
Originally Posted By BobRoberts:

gotta say this. Just seems easier to have different boxes/ colors for different loads

I put a personal marker to tell mine from someone else's and number the mags. That way if I have an issue with mag 19, I know which one after the day is done.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:49:40 PM EDT
Maybe you should just use lipstick. Then when your looking in the mirror holding your Bushmaster,drinking the koolaid,you can leave your mark.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 9:56:30 PM EDT
I use a white china graph grease pencil - the same type people use to white highlight lettering on their guns.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 10:15:34 PM EDT
Wait, you guys actually removed them from their packaging and use them?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:04:02 AM EDT
what color works best with black pmag?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:05:20 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ARJJ:

Paint pen, FTW.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:05:23 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 8:07:24 AM EDT by bulldog1967]
Metallic Silver Sharpie

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:08:45 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:08:52 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Lion_of_Lincoln:
I use blue and red tape.

Just like in Die Hard 2!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:09:10 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:15:10 AM EDT
I use the paint pens for most everything. I also number my handgun mags and color code them as to caliber. Green: 9mm Red: 40 White: 45

When you have a bunch of 1911 or 2011 mags in different calibers, it's easy to grab the wrong ones unless you have a quick way to tell them apart.

I also use red & yellow electrical tape to temporarily mark troublesome mags during range visits, and write my name on them. This has come in handy in more than one match or class where you're dropping mags all over the range.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:15:19 AM EDT
Uchida DecoColor paint pens

http://www.amazon.com/Uchida-200-6A-6-Piece-Decocolor-Marker/dp/B0029LHN6W
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:21:22 AM EDT
Originally Posted By bulldog1967:
Metallic Silver Sharpie

This is what I use on my PMAG's.

As to why would I mark my PMAG's; some of us actually take our rifles outside the house and shoot them. Frequently, this is done at ranges where other people are shooting, and quite often, those other people are using PMAG's, as well. Personally, when I've paid $10-20 for something, I like to get it back, as opposed to giving it to some random stranger.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:27:14 AM EDT

If I had an issue with a mag I would either fix it or trash it. I guess I can see marking it for what ammo is in it though.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:35:09 AM EDT
Originally Posted By colklink:

If I had an issue with a mag I would either fix it or trash it. I guess I can see marking it for what ammo is in it though.

Some people like to keep tempermental mags around for range use / training. The argument being that when the mag acts up, it induces a malfunction and causes the shooter to practice their immediate action drills. If all your mags work flawlessly, all the time, while you're on the range, you won't get to practice those drills to a point of inherent proficiency. Then, Mr. Murphy will choose to visit you the one time you need your weapon to protect yourself or your loved ones. Many people who are serious about training feel they are better off preparing for a mechanical malfunction than they would be if they ignored the fact that anything can fail when it's needed most.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:41:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By SiVisPacem:
Originally Posted By colklink:

Some people like to keep tempermental mags around for range use / training. The argument being that when the mag acts up, it induces a malfunction and causes the shooter to practice their immediate action drills. If all your mags work flawlessly, all the time, while you're on the range, you won't get to practice those drills to a point of inherent proficiency. Then, Mr. Murphy will choose to visit you the one time you need your weapon to protect yourself or your loved ones. Many people who are serious about training feel they are better off preparing for a mechanical malfunction than they would be if they ignored the fact that anything can fail when it's needed most.

I guess I can see that, a bad mag for training purposes. If I wanted to do that though, I would keep them in my range mags, segragated from my serious use mags.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:50:00 AM EDT
I use the paint pens used to touch up scratches on cars. You can buy them for $5.96 + tax from Wal-Mart.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:53:07 AM EDT
I use colored electrical tape around the base of the magazines, and will use it on all my AR magazines.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:03 AM EDT
Segregating them works for the most part, but when you're out at the range, they tend to get mixed in with the ones that work all the time. Between that and the ability to differentiate between other people's mags, there are real benefits to marking mags.

The ONLY drawbacks to marking them, that I can figure out are 1) the markings affect resale value, 2) they aren't as pretty in pictures. Of course, for many of the posters on here, those two reasons alone are probably much more likely to come into consideration than training or range use.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 8:57:56 AM EDT

i spray-paint the bottom inch or two of all my mags with a flat brown krylon. that way, my mags don't get mixed up with others in classes.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:02:02 AM EDT
Originally Posted By floridahunter07:

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:04:43 AM EDT
I prefer 100mph tape + sharpie. Less permanent solution.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:10:12 AM EDT
I actually just use the color of the mags themselves.

Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:18:15 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

For the tapers, doesn't the adhesive get gummy and leave residue?
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:22:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By rangermonroe:
When I open them, they will be dipped in the blood of my enemies.

hahaha, nice. Good idea.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:28:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/13/2010 9:29:08 AM EDT by FMJshooter]

Originally Posted By Kuraki:

Originally Posted By FMJshooter:

For the tapers, doesn't the adhesive get gummy and leave residue?

Yep just ads more grip when doing mag changes. If it bothers you WD40 takes it right off though.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top